Sign in to follow this  
chickster25

Inside PC limits but still dropping FPS

4 hours ago, chickster25 said:

ok, appears to be the main thread that is the bottleneck. I cannot upload an image here but it says "Limited by mainThread" PC D3D11

MainThread 34.3ms (in red)

I have an Alienware Aurora R12 and have already set the CPU to overclock to Level 2, which is the maximum within the BIOS.

I agree with the point garydpoole made above about certain situations highlighting cpu bottlenecks. Any system will slow down at times and I note that most of the responses here are about reducing that effect, but that will not identify possible system issues.

When considering causes, your own posts give several clues which are related to the suggestion I made in my previous post.  The 11900K processor is well known for running hot. The Alienware R12 uses quite a compact case with a relatively small cpu cooler, probably at its limits with an overclocked cpu. On top of that you have an RTX 3090 which uses a lot of power and distributes that as heat within the computer case. 

You quoted GPU temp as not above 80, but that heat still raises the case temperature significantly, which increases the work the CPU cooler has to do. You have not quoted any cpu temps, but as Bob Scott pointed out, there will be one or more cores fully loaded, even though you believe your overall cpu load is 50 per cent. When cores overheat the cpu will throttle itself to avoid damage.

I suggest you try installing Coretemp, and set it to run 'on top'.  This will allow you to monitor all the cpu cores while the sim is running, showing workloads and temperatures. You may be surprised at the results.

• Upvote 1

John B

27 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I'd reduce that LOD to 100 then re-check the main thread and fps. 

I concur. Viewing the main thread time will provide the evidence that this make a difference. If 100 is 'too' low, then with 150 you will also see a reduction in the main thread time.

Personally, I have it at 150. Would be great if there was an app that could auto-adjust this setting on the fly...

1 hour ago, garydpoole said:

I concur. Viewing the main thread time will provide the evidence that this make a difference. If 100 is 'too' low, then with 150 you will also see a reduction in the main thread time.

Personally, I have it at 150. Would be great if there was an app that could auto-adjust this setting on the fly...

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/616552-why-studders-on-landing/?do=findComment&comment=4740694

I hope Asobo implements a better optimizer (i.e., if they're already doing this) that dynamically adjusts T-LOD according to how far above AGL one is.  When you're on the tarmac just about anywhere T-LOD is arguably much less important than when you are even 500ft AGL on up, such that at AGL T-LOD might be at 70, and for every 100' of ascent you incrementally increase T-LOD to wherever the user pre-set value, or something along those lines.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

4 minutes ago, Noel said:

Interesting. I have actually noticed the same thing.

Have recently been doing some main thread testing and comparisons and noticed that when I flew from IniBuild EGLL to Pyreegue EGPH in the FBW320 and parked at Gate 9, my main thread time was ~24msec. If I exited the sim, then reloaded at EGPH Gate 9, identical time, weather, AI, etc, my main thread time had dropped to ~20msec. An absolute reduction of 4msec sounds insignificant, but a relative drop of 4msec in this context is pretty significant. 

You might have to compromise on LOD 200 at some airports. It only takes a few seconds to drop the LOD when approaching an airport that has issues.

1 hour ago, garydpoole said:

Earlier this year I could have T-LOD at 400 at all places. Now even 200 is sometimes too high in certain situations. I still have some hope that SU10 allows higher LOD again without this hammering the CPU main thread.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

1 hour ago, Nemo said:

Earlier this year I could have T-LOD at 400 at all places.

Maybe all place you find yourself in.   I run from 120 or so, to 400, and the 400 is in rural airports in modest planes.  Throw even the default B78X into an airport like EDDF, or FT's KLAS as ARRIVAL airports, and many others, and we're close to 120 and that is w/ frames locked at 30 by vsync.  No possible way your 12900K is going to be able to do 400 upon landing in the places I've described, and that was any time from initial release to post SU5 with its substantial performance changes.  Your 12900 is good for maybe 28% increase in single-threaded performance and that does not comport with T-LOD at 400 in the scenarios described.  

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

11 hours ago, Noel said:

Maybe all place you find yourself in.   I run from 120 or so, to 400, and the 400 is in rural airports in modest planes.  Throw even the default B78X into an airport like EDDF, or FT's KLAS as ARRIVAL airports, and many others, and we're close to 120 and that is w/ frames locked at 30 by vsync.  No possible way your 12900K is going to be able to do 400 upon landing in the places I've described, and that was any time from initial release to post SU5 with its substantial performance changes.  Your 12900 is good for maybe 28% increase in single-threaded performance and that does not comport with T-LOD at 400 in the scenarios described.  

I said earlier this year which means when SU6/SU7(?) was active. I stay with my comment. I could fly T-LOD 400 at CYVR or EGLL or KORD area full with many add-ons. Since SU8/SU9 this is not possible anymore. But admitted, I was only using GA a/c and cannot compare with Fenix or PMDG at that time.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

If MSFS is limited due to the main program using one core,is there a program like Multicore that can help with moving different apps or windows to other cores, like there was with FSX?

26 minutes ago, chickster25 said:

If MSFS is limited due to the main program using one core,is there a program like Multicore that can help with moving different apps or windows to other cores, like there was with FSX?

Your primary control is to lower Terrain LOD as it has the most impact on the main thread.  SU10 brings in a better optimized version of DX12 which is purported to improve multicore use for MSFS..  You have a potent system, but you still need to respect what is known and go from there as there are no ways around this.  If you believe you *ought to be able* to maintain T-LOD of 200 wherever in whatever you'll be SOL.

Read this and apply it to yourself:   https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/616552-why-studders-on-landing/?do=findComment&comment=4740694

Noel