Sign in to follow this  
zachlog

MSFS Weather Engine

18 minutes ago, Krakin said:

So um....I just saw a 10hr time lapse video of a certain unreleased sim and all I'm gonna say is some of you need to apologize to Asobo because bruhhhhhhhhh lol

I saw it too.  They need way more work on the "other unreleased sim." The clouds are awful. I know the clouds still need some improvement in SU 10 for MSFS, to get back to what a lot of people are saying was the variation of clouds before SU7, but the clouds in the "other released sim" are just awful.  It's 2022, not 2015. Maybe in 2015, what the "other released sim" is accomplishing would be acceptable, but not in 2022.

• Like 2

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

34 minutes ago, Krakin said:

So um....I just saw a 10hr time lapse video of a certain unreleased sim and all I'm gonna say is some of you need to apologize to Asobo because bruhhhhhhhhh lol

Certainly not the best for GA flying. Land class reminds me of watching Fred and Barney running through their house. 

Edited by OneOfMany
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, aktorsyl said:

Well that's what I'm saying 😛 ActiveSky only interpolates between METAR stations and while this was fine in P3D, I don't think it'd be nearly as good as MSFS live weather in that regard. Even with MSFS's live weather failings.

This is not accurate.

As a long time member of the HiFi beta team I can assure you Active Sky has long been using models for aloft data, fetching GRIBs. Interpolation is used whenever there are nearby metars as well as between the area covered by a metar and the "aloft" conditions  forecast.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

48 minutes ago, jcomm said:

This is not accurate.

As a long time member of the HiFi beta team I can assure you Active Sky has long been using models for aloft data, fetching GRIBs. Interpolation is used whenever there are nearby metars as well as between the area covered by a metar and the "aloft" conditions  forecast.

Sorry I should've been more specific: in terms of clouds and precipitation. HiFi's winds aloft data has always been very good.

Intel Core i7 8700k clocked to 4.6GHz, GTX1080Ti, 32GB DDR4 RAM, MSFS installed on NVMe drive, Windows 11, Dell 27" 60Hz Monitor + Dell 24" 60Hz Monitor. Resolution 1920x1080. Game Mode on, GPU scheduling enabled (Win11). MSFS settings: High-End for airlines, Ultra for GA.

24 minutes ago, aktorsyl said:

Sorry I should've been more specific: in terms of clouds and precipitation. HiFi's winds aloft data has always been very good.

Are you sure? How did we have clouds appearing in the middle of oceans then?

i912900k, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM

1 minute ago, Franz007 said:

Are you sure? How did we have clouds appearing in the middle of oceans then?

That I'm not sure of, to be perfectly honest. I know overland they use mathematical interpolation as per their own dev blogs. Over the oceans.. hmm, good question. Maybe the early adopters of sattelite-based depiction?

Intel Core i7 8700k clocked to 4.6GHz, GTX1080Ti, 32GB DDR4 RAM, MSFS installed on NVMe drive, Windows 11, Dell 27" 60Hz Monitor + Dell 24" 60Hz Monitor. Resolution 1920x1080. Game Mode on, GPU scheduling enabled (Win11). MSFS settings: High-End for airlines, Ultra for GA.

16 minutes ago, aktorsyl said:

That I'm not sure of, to be perfectly honest. I know overland they use mathematical interpolation as per their own dev blogs. Over the oceans.. hmm, good question. Maybe the early adopters of sattelite-based depiction?

I can't get into details... but certainly not only METAR interpolation for cloud depiction in Active Sky ...

The full range of GRIB and GRIB2 data that you get from the forecast models gives you a good "hint" of where to paint and how to paint cloud layers... It's not a "simple" algorithm, and it can surely be complemented by satellite and even radar data if available, but some interesting cloud layer forecasts can be built from the GRIB data alone.

Well, apart from at work, I use it ( GRIB ) for my RL soaring forecasts, including clouds and precipitation 🙂 but these days with even free access to Meteoblue and Windy we cab easily get it easily...

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

8 hours ago, B777ER said:

I would surmise he is talking about a near real time cloud cover in the sim to mimic what it actually looks like outside by way of visible and IR satellite data feed. 

This is something they showed in the Weather preview episode long ago.  Not sure what happened to it since then.

Brian W

KPAE

On 8/31/2022 at 4:24 PM, Noel said:

Side note: looks like Asobo is playing around w/ more complex cloud structures which I'm seeing more of very recently:

Didn't they just say in the latest Dev Q&A that they haven't even touched the clouds in a long time? Layer system, yes but I don't think they messed with clouds.

I think many experiencing the placebo effect?

8 hours ago, Krakin said:

Erm, beta mean anything.  Message from Austin...

Yah the cloud pulsing is a bug in the real weather... it is literally impossible to notice at regular speed.. you just see it at 100x replay speed, which is what we have here. I have it on the list to fix during beta.. though this fix will be impossible to ever notice at anything BUT time-lapse movies.. BUT time-lapse movies are fun, and I want to be sure the weather is accurate at each moment in TIME, so I'll still get this addressed during the beta.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

9 hours ago, aktorsyl said:

Thanks for your answer. As mentionned above by @jcomm i would be very surprised if that was the case. Could it be that you mixed it up with the way the defaul X-Plane weather (not using Active Sky) works? Because for this i think the do interpolate the clouds coverage beetween Metars. Do you perhaps have a link to the dev blog you mentionned? It would be interesting. And quite disappointing if they did it like you say. Perhaps they interpolate only when 2 metars are very close together and when flying at low altitude? But on cruise level it must come from the source mentionned by jcomm. Again: i may be wrong.

• Like 1

i912900k, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM

We need Live Weather Visibility depiction throughout the atmosphere! Proper Simulation of haze, dust etc from meteoblue model.

I still can not believe the serious simmer is not up in arms over this massive issue with Live Weather which is been present from the very release of MSFS.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2