Sign in to follow this  
bofhlusr

Nice story about a flight

I thought at first I'd just scan it. But I ended up reading the entire thing.

This Plane Accidentally Flew Around the World | by John Bull | Medium

• Like 4

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

" On Dec. 29, the giant aircraft lumbered over the Arabian Peninsula on its way to the Nile River in Africa. It flew over Mecca, where overflights were banned. Suddenly, the crew could see people streaming from a mosque and firing guns at the plane. At least they didn’t have any antiaircraft,” the pilot recalled. Ford eventually set down on the Nile near Khartoum. The plane was refueled and back in the air on New Year’s Day, 1942. Next stop: the Congo River in West Africa. "

• Like 2

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I first read this story many years ago and a couple of times after that.  It is always an interesting read.  It pops up every few years and that's good.  It's history and a part of the Pearl Harbor story most often left out.  But any story, no matter how old, is new if you hadn't read it or heard it before.

Thanks for reprising it for us.

Noel

• Like 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Excellent read ! Thx for sharing !!!

• Like 2

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Really well written! Just ordered the book by Ed Dover as well.

• Like 1

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

26 minutes ago, Penzoil3 said:

Free  on Kindle Unlimited.

https://www.amazon.com/Long-Way-Home-Revised-ebook/dp/B00457XJ2K/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

And I went over to Simmarket and grabbed the Pilot's 314 basic.

The Pilot's 314 looks very interesting. I didn't know. The Pro version is even more interesting and tempting too. If only they have a version for MSFS. I don't remember reading if the flight was VFR.

Let us know if you plan to follow or re-create their flight. A big challenge I bet.

The Amelia Earhart flight might be interesting too. I'm wondering if she could have gone around the world with her plane.

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

Just finished a leisurely read through Ed Dover's original book. It is a good story, but I must say the writer from the overview at the start of this thread is a much more accomplished writer in conveying suspense, tension, and setting up a story line.

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick