Sign in to follow this  
bofhlusr

nVidia Inspector vs. nVidia Control Panel vs. P3D Settings

What is the order of execution and which one has priority (actually affects how P3D functions)?

Edited by bofhlusr
  • Like 1

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

It isn't as simple as an order-of-execution or hierarchical determination of priority.

First, NVI and NCP both work the same way--by writing registry settings used to configure the driver.  NVI has access to some settings not available via the NCP GUI, but it works the same way.  If you use NVI to make a setting, say for 8x anisotropic filtering, and then you use NCP to set AF to 16x, NCP just overwrites the registry setting from 8x to 16x.

As to P3D graphics settings, whether they pre-empt the NVI/NCP-written driver settings or not depends on the setting.  If the setting is both configurable and configured to override the application or explicitly set it, then the P3D setting is ignored in favor of the driver config.  Some settings can also work by enhancing the application setting, and others can be set directly by the application.

• Like 4

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Thanks for the info. Very helpful. It sounds like all three use the same 'database' (the registry) and the process works in the last-in-first-out basis (LIFO).

I'm trying to simplify. I'm trying to not have to use NVI by getting rid of it. But it appears that may not be possible. Specifically, the Sparse Grid Super Sampling Anti-Aliasing (SGSSAA) feature in nVidia cards available in NVI which gets rid of shimmering (flickering) in P3D, can't be found in NCP or in P3D (I can't find it). Based on your post in another thread, I'm trying to figure out if I can decrease the corresponding value for MSAA which apparently needs to have the same value as SGSSAA from 4x to 2x but I can't find MSAA in NCP (but it's in P3D).

I'll have to do some tests to figure out if I can reduce SGSSAA without adversely affecting graphics quality.

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

I use 4x SSAA in P3Dv4.5HF2, together with 16x AF. That does a pretty good job of reducing shimmering, although I do not think that it can match the NVI 4x SGSS AA that I used in FSX. For the record, I would not even consider MSAA @ 1920x1080 resolution on my 24" widescreen monitor.

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

25 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

I use 4x SSAA in P3Dv4.5HF2, together with 16x AF. That does a pretty good job of reducing shimmering, although I do not think that it can match the NVI 4x SGSS AA that I used in FSX. For the record, I would not even consider MSAA @ 1920x1080 resolution on my 24" widescreen monitor.

For the uneducated! Pray tell why not.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

If the setting of interest is in P3D Display Settings, always use that.

If the setting of interest is not in P3D Display Settings use the Nvidia Control panel, Manage 3D Settings P3D profile in Program Settings, not Global Settings.

If the setting of interest is not in Nvidia Control panel use Inspector.

Before setting up and making any settings, make sure to first set the factory defaults with the Restore/Apply button in Nvidia Control panel, Manage 3D Settings, both for the P3D profile in Program Settings, and also the Global Settings.

• Like 3

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I did a test. The pair consisting of 2xSGSSAA (in NVI) and 2xMSAA (in P3D) resulted in a blurry image in Flysimware's Learjet 35A. I could not read the autopilot numbers in my Dell 27 inch monitor (S2716DG) and 1070TI GPU card. As a result, I reverted back to the 4x setting in NVI for the SGSSAA and in P3D for the MSAA.

Is there a replacement or similar setting for the SGSSAA in NCP or P3D? Anyone know?

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

2 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

For the uneducated! Pray tell why not.

The simple answer is that MSAA is garbage @ 1080p resolution. You could have it set to 64x, and it would still be rubbish.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

4 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I use 4x SSAA in P3Dv4.5HF2, together with 16x AF. That does a pretty good job of reducing shimmering

I want to try this. In your case, did it reduce shimmering and also increase performance or reduce it?

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

3 hours ago, SteveW said:

If the setting of interest is not in P3D Display Settings use the Nvidia Control panel, Manage 3D Settings P3D profile in Program Settings, not Global Settings.

Yes, reduce in Program Settings and not in Global Settings in the Nvidia Control panel. The rationale apparently is so it does not affect other programs or flight simulators.

• Like 1

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

33 minutes ago, bofhlusr said:

I want to try this. In your case, did it reduce shimmering and also increase performance or reduce it?

To be honest, I do not know the answer. I have only ever switched to MSAA in P3D to remind myself just how bad it looks. I did not even use it in FSX. I learned the lesson over twenty years ago when I used 16x AF and 4x AA in Flight Unlimited 3.

In short, acceptable visual quality is way more important to me than acceptable performance. If I could not get the former with the latter, then I would not even be using a flight simulator.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

11 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

The simple answer is that MSAA is garbage @ 1080p resolution. You could have it set to 64x, and it would still be rubbish.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. That explains exactly why on my system running v5.3  at 1080p it makes not the slightest difference whether I use AA or MSAA. Nor does it affect frame rates.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

This is one area where i feel P3D lacks compared to FSX (I use both FSX boxed on one machine with DX9 AA set to 8xS combined 1x2 SS +4xMS with 2 X Spare Grid Supersampling) and the other machine has FSX steam edition DX10 with fixer 8x Sparse Grid Super Sampling)  with a single 1080p monitor and this produces an much better image than P3D

For P3D i run at max AA as like Chris, visual quality is a must for me. Unfortunately this does mean a few stutters especially when taxi-ing but its the price i have to pay (limiting to 30fps) via control panel and unlimited with V/Sync and triple buffering from within the sim itself. My monitor does not support 30Hz

My one wish would be for a proper full screen mode like FSX has but hey i can still hope.

• Upvote 2

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

I could never find a balance for anti-aliasing that reduces shimmer and smooths out aircraft models/lines.  If I use 8x MSAA in P3D settings, shimmering goes away (mostly) of autogen and airport scenery but my aircraft liveries and models have very noticeable jagged lines.  If I use 2x SSAA, my liveries and aircraft are smoother but runways, autogen, and other scenery shimmers like no other.  Using 4x SSAA is a no-go unfortunately because I'll get noticeable drops at night or with a lot of dynamic lighting.

No idea what combinations to try with NCP, most seem to have no effect.  Anyone perhaps have any thoughts or ideas?  Appreciate it.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

15 hours ago, CaptKornDog said:

I could never find a balance for anti-aliasing that reduces shimmer and smooths out aircraft models/lines.  If I use 8x MSAA in P3D settings, shimmering goes away (mostly) of autogen and airport scenery but my aircraft liveries and models have very noticeable jagged lines.  If I use 2x SSAA, my liveries and aircraft are smoother but runways, autogen, and other scenery shimmers like no other.  Using 4x SSAA is a no-go unfortunately because I'll get noticeable drops at night or with a lot of dynamic lighting.

No idea what combinations to try with NCP, most seem to have no effect.  Anyone perhaps have any thoughts or ideas?  Appreciate it.

Do you have the same value for MSAA and SGSSAA?

Sparse Grid Supersampling Anti-aliasing - A guide on what it does and how to use it in Skyrim (With Pictures) : skyrim (reddit.com)

SGSSAA - high quality anti-aliasing working (great for 1080p!) :: Miscreated General Discussions (steamcommunity.com)

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1