Sign in to follow this  
bofhlusr

nVidia Inspector vs. nVidia Control Panel vs. P3D Settings

On 8/23/2022 at 10:26 AM, bofhlusr said:

Is the key using Nvidia Inspector?  I removed it a while ago since it seemed to be conflicting with Control Panel and in-sim settings.  Didn’t seem the 3 worked together harmoniously.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Yes. More details in the forum post "P3D running slow".

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

On 8/25/2022 at 6:09 AM, bofhlusr said:

Yes. More details in the forum post "P3D running slow".

So what settings did you wind up with then?

46 minutes ago, CaptKornDog said:

So what settings did you wind up with then?

See the message thread "P3D running slow" in this forum for details on how these settings came to be. I was getting 10-15 fps using payware scenery (ORBX's KHAF and Flightbeam's KSFO), study level aircraft (Flysimware's Learjet 35A and Falcon 50), and OpusFSI (weather engine and dynamic vibrations). After suggestions in the message thread, I am now getting 45 fps plus/minus 10.

spacer.png

Edited by bofhlusr
Added OpusFSI info.

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

Happy to help. I checked your repaints.... in a word 'wow'. You have a lot.

Is it difficult to convert fsx livery to p3d? If it's easy, can you point me to a simple tutorial? I've been looking for a P3D version of an FSX livery for an F27:

PAL Fokker 27 - YouTube. Thank you.

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

This is what I have and I would like to know if it is as efficient/correct as possible.

I have a 100FPSs (120 with overclock) G-Sync monitor and I limit my Prepar3D to 35 (which I don't know if it would be the correct value in my case).

Nvidia Control Panel is Default except for the 100 FPS option.

The "Global/General" Tab in Nvidia Profile Inspector:

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Prepar3D Tab:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Do you think it is a good idea to open a thread in the GPU subforum about this subject?

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4

I don't use ANY of the above tweaking programs.  I've stopped using Inspector, and I stopped using Nvidia Control Panel.  I no longer limit my frames in either the NCP or in the sim itself. I use the P3D settings in the sim exclusively.  I use the latest NV driver and I have just about all settings in P3d turned up with the exception of Autogen draw distance (I keep it at High) and Autogen vegetation (I keep it at Normal).  I use 2x SSAA, and 4096 resolution and I leave Tessellation at High. 

I am extremely pleased with my P3d performance and my frames exceed all my expectations.  I keep frames at Unlimited.  My sim has never been smoother since I stopped trying to change its settings outside the sim itself.  My LG monitor gives me 3840 x 2160 resolution and I have it set to that in the sim.  My sim runs at 60hz.  No stutters, no freezes, and a joy to fly every single day.  

Jetline Systems Gravity GT2 (with additional features added to basic GT2 system) - about 3 years old.

Operating System:           Windows 11 Home Edition (64-Bit)
Chassis:                    NZXT S340 Elite Mid-Tower, Black
Motherboard:                Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 5, LGA 1151
Processor:                  Intel 8th Gen Core i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock) 
Core                        Six Core
CPU Cooling:                Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 Liquid Cooling
System Memory:              32GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3000MHz
Graphics Processor:         11GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, PCI Express 3.0
System Power:               850 Watt Corsair RM Series Power Supply
Sound Card:                 7.1 High Definition Integrated Audio
Primary Drive:              1TB Samsung EVO 860 Solid State Drive (SSD)
NVMe SSD:                   1TB Samsung EVO PLUS 970 Solid State Drive (SSD)
NVMe SSD:                   1TB Sabrent Solid State Drive
Secondary Drive:            2TB Mechanical Drive
Optical Drive:              20x DVD/CD Burner Drive (USB)
Monitor:                       LG 32UN-650

Edited by spilok
  • Like 1

On 11/20/2022 at 9:35 AM, Juliet Alpha said:

I have a 100FPSs (120 with overclock) G-Sync monitor and I limit my Prepar3D to 35 (which I don't know if it would be the correct value in my case).

Nvidia Control Panel is Default except for the 100 FPS option.

I made some changes in the settings: 120FPSs on my monitor and 30FPSs in NPI with 1/4 Refresh Rate:

spacer.png

I tried to improve Antialiasing but with my 1070 it is impossible to use Supersampling.

In P3D, I will test TrueSky by letting it be controlled by ASP3D.

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4

7 hours ago, lownslo said:

And have the changes helped?

Prepar3d is more smooth, perhaps?

I thought MSAA was not compatible with Dx12 (or Windows 11 and Prepar3D 5.x).

4 hours ago, Juliet Alpha said:

I thought MSAA was not compatible with Dx12 (or Windows 11 and Prepar3D 5.x).

P3Dv5 (in either Windows 10 or 11) has settings on the "Display" page for various levels of MSAA or SSAA.  Of course, these forms of AA are coded into the sim by LM.  Version 2.4.0.3 of NPI has specific settings (which set the required registry flags) to Enhance the sim's MSAA setting.  All of which could offer enhanced MSAA from your 1070.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, lownslo said:

P3Dv5 (in either Windows 10 or 11) has settings on the "Display" page for various levels of MSAA or SSAA.  Of course, these forms of AA are coded into the sim by LM.  Version 2.4.0.3 of NPI has specific settings (which set the required registry flags) to Enhance the sim's MSAA setting.  All of which could offer enhanced MSAA from your 1070.

Do you know which settings have the best impact for MSAA in NPI?  Thanks.

7 minutes ago, CaptKornDog said:

Do you know which settings have the best impact for MSAA in NPI?  Thanks.

In NPI 2.4.0.3 are some useful additions in the "Antialiasing" section.  After setting your desired MSAA level in the sim, try this combo in the Prepar3d profile in NPI 2.4.0.3:

Antialiasing - Transparency Multisampling = Enabled

Antialiasing (MSAA) - Mode = Enhance the application setting

Antialiasing (MSAA) - Setting = Application Controlled

Also, try setting Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling to the same level of Supersampling as what you've set MSAA at in the sim.  What you can do with this setting depends alot on your GPU/monitor resolution.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lownslo said:

In NPI 2.4.0.3 are some useful additions in the "Antialiasing" section.  After setting your desired MSAA level in the sim, try this combo in the Prepar3d profile in NPI 2.4.0.3:

Antialiasing - Transparency Multisampling = Enabled

Antialiasing (MSAA) - Mode = Enhance the application setting

Antialiasing (MSAA) - Setting = Application Controlled

Also, try setting Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling to the same level of Supersampling as what you've set MSAA at in the sim.  What you can do with this setting depends alot on your GPU/monitor resolution.

Appreciate it, thank you.

Edit: for some reason, selecting ANY supersampling seems to yank my frames when volumetric lighting or complex scenery is present (even with a 3080).

Edited by CaptKornDog