Sign in to follow this  
Virtual-Chris

Airports with interior modelling - worth it?

42 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

But how far do you take this?  Do you want to get in a taxi and go to the airport hotel for your layover?  Grab a coffee on your way out the door?  Chat with the hot flight attendants as you depart? 😛

For me, the flight is over once the aircraft reaches the gate and we shut down.  But then I've seen enough of the inside of real airports to last a lifetime 😄

The operative part of your response is "For me".  If that's all you take out of your simulation experience, thats great for you.

Others, like me, enjoy the rest.  If I could virtually drive in the city after a flight.. that would be a blast!  And given the fact that even the FBW a320 has a range of virtual coffee cups.. you're coffee comment is already being "addressed" in our virtual world already 🙂 

Enjoying the "extras" at the end of a flight doesn't detract from the study-level procedurally accurate flight I just made in the Fenix to get there.  

As I said, I think its fair to ask developers for an option to disable some features IF they actually incur performance hits on low and mid range systems.  Since performance is bound to be a factor in purchase decisions, adding choice will only increase the market for their products so it'd be a win for them anyway.  I just wouldn't want to get to a place where those who do have a capable rig are denied these "extras" just to satisfy those whose cant, or who dont like them for other reasons.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VFXSimmer said:

Others, like me, enjoy the rest.  If I could virtually drive in the city after a flight.. that would be a blast!  

I would support that only if it includes the painful wait and experience at the car rental counter 😄

I'm all for more detail, but ideally it comes as an option you can turn on after you arrive as the airport scenery I added, cratered my frame rate whenever it was within line of sight. Although I'd much rather fly the drone around and see some landmarks of the city I just arrived in rather than the inside of the terminal building.

10 minutes ago, VFXSimmer said:

The operative part of your response is "For me".  If that's all you take out of your simulation experience, thats great for you.

Others, like me, enjoy the rest.  If I could virtually drive in the city after a flight.. that would be a blast!  And given the fact that even the FBW a320 has a range of virtual coffee cups.. you're coffee comment is already being "addressed" in our virtual world already 🙂 

Enjoying the "extras" at the end of a flight doesn't detract from the study-level procedurally accurate flight I just made in the Fenix to get there.  

As I said, I think its fair to ask developers for an option to disable some features IF they actually incur performance hits on low and mid range systems.  Since performance is bound to be a factor in purchase decisions, adding choice will only increase the market for their products so it'd be a win for them anyway.  I just wouldn't want to get to a place where those who do have a capable rig are denied these "extras" just to satisfy those whose cant, or who dont like them for other reasons.

But who says their " Rig" is less capable? Mine runs great with no issues at all. but i prefer them to spend more time on the actual airport you see from being a Pilot/Copilot. Not wandering around some terminal, where it can be clearly seen the rest of the air field has structures missing, or done  to a lesser standard etc, just to deliver the inners of an Airport terminal.

Each to their own i guess.

Edited by Car147
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

It has to include a strip search at the security section. 

• Like 3

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Don't have any FPS issues with interior modelling and dont mind devs doing it. What I noticed is that the devs that do interior also pay a lot of attention to the exterior too, wich make the overall impression of an airport so much better than those who don't(looking at you Orbx, spamming port over trash, expecting us to bite).

Seems these days e.g "people flow" is industry standard, but the folks that invented it and made it standard back in the days of FSX, refuse to invent it and say the SDK is not making it possible. When avarage "joe" can make hundreds of people dansing inside the airport interior(Orbx "partner" pilot plus),,  go figure....

Miss you John Venema....when the beancounters took over the company, its just "money talk  bull.s.hit walks".....

Edited by Kaboki
  • Like 2

Seems like a waste to me, but I guess it makes the airport more valuable. I checked out a few airports to see whats up. Interesting for a minute, but not a priority...For Me.I enjoy taxiing around the airport and that's important to me.

49 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

I would support that only if it includes the painful wait and experience at the car rental counter 😄

I sure hope they include the Emerald Aisle. 😁

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

The interior is essential for night flights. Transparent terminal windows and interior lighting add immersion at night.

• Like 4

Personally, i'd rather have animated passengers walking to and from aircraft... up the stairs (or down) than people in the terminal... curiously, is there such a thing yet?

Hold up! I think GSX does this eh!

Edited by vonduck
New info!
  • Like 2

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

4 hours ago, Virtual-Chris said:

Maybe the interiors are not the problem. Anyway, I still find it completely unnecessary to my enjoyment of the sim. 🙂

well the good news is default airports dont have interiors so just dont by 3rd party. i would like all addons to be as good and detailed as pyreegue addons, and im sure there will be even better qualtity to come 

• Upvote 1

This must be thread number 5 or 6 on this same topic, basically:

• some people like them some people do not
  • personally I only buy airports with interiors or addon features as otherwise default is fine for me
  • if you do not like them do not buy them
  • Like 3

Sure I like it. But I’d much prefer high quality ramp clutter, taxiways,runway texture quality. I feel that can be forgotten. 

• Like 2

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

The more detailed the better for me. I definitely want as much detail in the airports and scenery as possible. No interest at all in procedural detail in an aircraft, not interested in all the buttons and that stuff. I would dearly love to see the sort of detail we have now in airports such as EGAA implemented (optionally, obivously) within the actual aircraft though. The idea of a truly detailed and animated first class cabin in a big tube, or better yet, a fully kitted out luxury interior for the A380 when it arrives - magic! Animated passengers, stewards etc - bring it on! Who'll be the first to have properly flushing loos do you think?

And no, I'm not being sarcastic, I really would love to see all that and would pay good money for it (ok, maybe I'm not that bothered about the loos)

Edited by andy1252
typo
  • Like 3

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

Yes!!!, we need loo's, and the smell after someone been there,,,lol,, but yeah, more detail the better:p(im serious and not sarcastic too:p)