Sign in to follow this  
Virtual-Chris

Airports with interior modelling - worth it?

Do you like airports with interiors modelled in 3D?

I loaded one up and my FPS dropped from 60 to 40.  I have to think that all the extra polygons of the interior being rendered so I can barely see it through the glass windows has to be killing performance. I find it a bit odd that scenery developers render the interiors... why is that?  Is there some benefit I'm overlooking?  Is it worth the FPS hit?

6 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

Do you like airports with interiors modelled in 3D?

I loaded one up and my FPS dropped from 60 to 40.  I have to think that all the extra polygons of the interior being rendered so I can barely see it through the glass windows has to be killing performance. I find it a bit odd that scenery developers render the interiors... why is that?  Is there some benefit I'm overlooking?  Is it worth the FPS hit?

From my understanding, the interiors of airports shouldn't affect your FPS.  I believe the MSFS engine doesn't render the interiors of buildings when you are flying. I can't remember where I read/heard about it, but I read about it somewhere or I heard about it somewhere, and the source was an Asobo dev or Jorg himself, I think.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

The average interior is a few flat slabs with not too fancy textures on them. There'll be far more to process in one well-modelled bit of landing gear than an entire interior. 

Many of the worst places FPS wise for me don't have interiors. 

I assume the prime suspect in many a case is custom ground imagery which can add up big time. 

Maybe the interiors are not the problem. Anyway, I still find it completely unnecessary to my enjoyment of the sim. 🙂

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

I like pulling up to the terminal and seeing pax milling about. FPS while I'm sitting at the gate isn't really a concern for me.

• Like 3

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

47 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

Maybe the interiors are not the problem. Anyway, I still find it completely unnecessary to my enjoyment of the sim. 🙂

I know what you mean, just that iff (and i mean when) msfs 2020 goes very mainstream, maybe think minecraft or something like that, then these 'peripherals' will become standard and 'expected' as it were. I think it is good that they are starting to run cgi animation/programming, whatever its called, inside airport buildings already.

and without a major hit on processors going by early indicators (having said that all power/calculation requirements seem to be going serverside anyway)

🙂

Edited by icewater5

I'd rather them spend more time on the visuals you do see from the cockpit. it's good to see some folk milling around the departure gate etc, but i feel some put far too much into the internals of the airport, yet leave area's that are expected to be a high standard lacking. Not all, but some.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

I think in some places it is justified. Like with NZAA's Mount Cook. With iniBuild's EGLL though, I'd rather they didn't bother with internal modelling, as it's like whipping the main thread unnecessarily. 

One of the best internal terminal modelling I've seen so far is with Jo Erlend Sund's Brussels. Although it probably is a performance hog, the modelling is very well done. 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

9 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

With iniBuild's EGLL though, I'd rather they didn't bother with internal modelling, as it's like whipping the main thread unnecessarily. 

V2 added more interiors but also improved the FPS, so I'm not sure.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 1

A lot of people like it - I don't care for it.  I'm happy with a static image if it looks good if I pull up to the gate.  I don't typically fly airliners though so maybe it is really important?

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I love it.  So much better immersion wise after a flight to get out and walk through the terminal.  No FPS problems that I've encountered.  I like the trend.

Developers could always give options to disable them for those with older machines if its truly a performance issue.  I'd hate to see a trend away from things like nice terminal interiors, detailed landside exteriors, etc, however, just to satisfy users with lower system specs.  Options are always the best way to go IMHO so people can have the sim experience that best suits their desires.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, VFXSimmer said:

I love it.  So much better immersion wise after a flight to get out and walk through the terminal.  No FPS problems that I've encountered.  I like the trend.

Developers could always give options to disable them for those with older machines if its truly a performance issue.  I'd hate to see a trend away from things like nice terminal interiors, detailed landside exteriors, etc, however, just to satisfy users with lower system specs.  Options are always the best way to go IMHO so people can have the sim experience that best suits their desires.

But how far do you take this?  Do you want to get in a taxi and go to the airport hotel for your layover?  Grab a coffee on your way out the door?  Chat with the hot flight attendants as you depart? 😛

For me, the flight is over once the aircraft reaches the gate and we shut down.  But then I've seen enough of the inside of real airports to last a lifetime 😄

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

But how far do you take this?  Do you want to get in a taxi and go to the airport hotel for your layover?  Grab a coffee on your way out the door?  Chat with the hot flight attendants as you depart? 😛

For me, the flight is over once the aircraft reaches the gate and we shut down.  But then I've seen enough of the inside of real airports to last a lifetime 😄

I'd like to check in to a five star hotel. Get a gin and tonic from the really good looking bartender 🙋‍♀️. Then perhaps have a swim in the pool (I expect the pool to be exquisitely rendered, including the surface of the water corresponding with local winds). 

• Like 6

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

11 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

Grab a coffee on your way out the door?  Chat with the hot flight attendants as you depart? 😛

That sounds more like 'Flight Stimulation' than 'Flight Simulation'  😛

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

I Ilike it, check out KDCA,, KBOS, makes the sim even better. On my system no effector hit with frames hit I have frames fixed at 30 and smooth.  You don't really need 60 fframes for the sim, make your system work harder.

10700kf, 3080 nividia, 32gbs 3400mhz, 1,000 watts power, M.2 DVMe !tb, boot, 1tb 7200rpm, storage, windows 10 home