Sign in to follow this  
Guest muzik4

Making videos in FS

There is a thread on some YouTube movies made in FS. They remind me of something I have been wanting to ask for a while now. How do you make video

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Greetings!I use *FSRecorder* to replay and record flight segments. While replaying or viewing the recorded segments I use *FRAPS* to make video clips. Then you can use *Windows Movie Maker* to import and edit the video clips and make the final movie/video. It is a lot of fun and I have spent hudreds of hours making videos.I'm no expert, but this works quite well.Now, If you want to see some real pro stuff check out FlyHalf or Edetroit (spell?) videos. These guys are something else!!Scott

Thanks Scott. Where can I find this fsrecorder? I Goggled it and found a lot of links talking about the program but not the program. One link said fsrecorder.net. That was a dead link.

John
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive

Guest YEGspotter

I believe FSRecorder is the option for recording videos from within FSX - it's not 3rd party software. Recording FS videos needs only 1 thing - FRAPS. Obviously, if you want to spiff up the video and add music, etc., then Windows Moviemaker help you out also. A demo version of FRAPS is available, with limitations of course. The demo version does not time out, but you are only able to record 30 seconds of video at once.cheers

Actually, there is a "built in" .avi recorder in FSX. It isn't documented anywhere, but you can assign a key-combo to it in the Options menu. (Note: "Video Recording (start/stop)") I used Ctrl-I since it isn't assigned to anything else.The .avi records only video though. No sound is recorded. Also, the .avi files are HUGE so recording more than 30 seconds clips at a time can rapidly fill one's hard drive. (Note: 30 seconds = ~1GB!!!)Files are saved in your ..My DocumentsMy VideosFlight Simulator X Files folder.BTW, "FS Recorder" is a third-party, freeware plugin for FS. It isn't a video recorder though! Similar to the built-in "Replay" feature of FSX, it simply records data points and allows you to "replay" any segment of a live flight. In the FS9 version it also would allow AI traffic to continue working, so your virtual skies wouldn't be empty during the replay... It also has the ability to play back more than one "recording" at the same time, while allowing you to fly your own a/c in real time. Can we say "Formation Flights?"

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Funky D

I believe those videos on YouTube were done with FRAPS... The author flew a helicopter and used TrackIR to get many of the cool angles while other people piloted the planes in multiplayer.

Guest Buck Bolduc

The latest version of "Fraps" works great with Vista and FSX.It's reasonable cost wise, I know you can get more professional stuff tho. "Vertual Dub" works great but it wont convert to MS format according to it's author. It does do AVI, I think.Buck

FS Recorder can be found here: http://www.fs-recorder.net/It can be used to actually record flight segments, or just replay flight segments. But to record video clips of portions of the replay or recorded flight segments you wnat to use FRAPS. Then use WMM to make the movie from the FRAPS clips. There are more sophisticated video editing programs, but WMM is free (included with Windows XP).Scott

Has anyone tried out GameCam compared with Fraps?I have seen some videos on YouTube etc. that have been made using GameCam, and wondered how it fairs in terms of performance hit / stuttering and ease of use.Regards,Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

Thanks to everyone for their replies and help. I downloaded FS-Recorder and will look into FRAPS.

John

It's strange that no one commented on this:"Actually, there is a "built in" .avi recorder in FSX. It isn't documented anywhere, but you can assign a key-combo to it in the Options menu. (Note: "Video Recording (start/stop)") I used Ctrl-I since it isn't assigned to anything else.The .avi records only video though. No sound is recorded. Also, the .avi files are HUGE so recording more than 30 seconds clips at a time can rapidly fill one's hard drive. (Note: 30 seconds = ~1GB!!!)Files are saved in your ..My DocumentsMy VideosFlight Simulator X Files folder.""

Fr. Bill    

Bill - I knew it was there (under options), but using FRAPS in conjunction with FSX Instant Replay or, better yet, FSRecorder works so well, and is so easy, I've never even looked at it.Scott

>Bill - I knew it was there (under options), but using FRAPS>in conjunction with FSX Instant Replay or, better yet,>FSRecorder works so well, and is so easy, I've never even>looked at it.>>ScottI can't use FRAPS at all on my machine; it's simply too "weak..." At least the built-in AVI recorder will leave enough room for FSX to run fairly smoothly... ;)

Fr. Bill    

If you got a digital camcorder that has a s-video jack you can run a s-video cord from your graphics card to the camcorder and then push record on the camcorder. Once you got the video on the camcorder you can uploaded to the computer. I've never done it this way, but this is how someone else said they did it on another fs forem. You could also just record the screen with the camcorder. Thats what I did one time and it worked pretty good.If you want to get really technical you could run a s-video cord from you graphics card to a VCR and record on a blank tape. Then if you got a card that is able to convert the yellow, red, white jacks from the VCR to the computer you could do that aswell.