Sign in to follow this  
Guest muzik4

Making videos in FS

I downloaded and used gamecam today and it works pretty good, I had a decent video in a few mins, easy to setup.Danny

>Bill - Works fine for me. Here's a link to a recent FSX>video.>>http://www.mediafire.com/?5hzgu91jxpn>>ScottScott, I've known for well over a year that FRAPS works quite well for folks who have systems capable of running both it and FS at the same time.My computer however, isn't one of them... recording with FRAPS brings my frame rate down to <3.0 fps, which is - obviously - unusable. :-lol

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Bill - Since SP1 I notice FRAPS causes a slight jerkiness, in an otherwise smooth replay, while making takeoff and landing clips. I just noticed it a couple hours ago landing at PHX. SP1 is as much a problem as it is an improvement.Scott

Guest muzik4

Just to cloud the skies a bit more, CamStudio (combined with FSRecorder as stated above) is also a very good free option for making movies from FS. I don't have a stellar machine, but have had fairly good luck with it.As said before, it's best to use either Movie Maker/Virtual Dub (with Divx plug-in) or another "compactor" to come out with a useful size movie in terms of hard-drive real estate usage.Robert

Guest jaydee737a

>There is a thread on some YouTube movies made in FS. They>remind me of something I have been wanting to ask for a while>now. How do you make video

Guest tmilton

Thanks Bill, I did not know FSX had a built in video recorder which could save to actual video files. I will give this a try. I have always used FRAPS to make videos and there is always a slight reduction in FPS when FPAPS is running. This is usually not a problem, but can reduce FPS beyond acceptable in heavy load city areas. This built in recorder should help in those areas.

>Actually, there is a "built in" .avi recorder in FSX. It>isn't documented anywhere, but you can assign a key-combo to>it in the Options menu. (Note: "Video Recording (start/stop)")> I used Ctrl-I since it isn't assigned to anything else.Thanks for the tip Bill, just one more question, is there any way to set the number of frames per second to be recorded? All I'm getting is a slide show,not a motion picture.Thank youFrancisco Aguiar

Francisco Aguiar

One of the best tricks for shooting smooth is the video output like mentioned earlier , but for super smooth short sequences set your framerate to 7 fps and the sim at quarter speed then record the manouvers .. during playback you set the speed at 4X on the cam and send the result into movie maker or whatever with combined fps now close to the ideal 28.9.This produces a clean result as the processor has much more time to render each frame + the actual recording is not being doneby the computer, as a side benifit you dont chew through as much disk space when the raw footage is on the camcorder .

Guest ALT370

Hi,I try out the solution via s-video.My DELL Notebook has a TV out (S-Video), connecting it to a TV I get a result.But as soon as I connect my notebook to my VHS/DVD Recorder, I cannot see any signal on the TV screen.Does anyone have a solution for that?My idea is to record the simulation directly to the HDD in my VHS/DVD Recorder. So I have no lost in fps in the simulator. FRAPS hits the fps.In my graphic options I can choose between notebook screen and TV screen. Any help is appreciated.thnx in advance,Axel.

Guest Valkyrie321

Just wanted to chime in here. If you haven't already heard of me, I am the owner of Jaggyroad Films. I have worked for the Smithsonian, Microsoft, Experience Aviation, Aerosoft, Exciting Simulation and Shockwave Productions to name a few. Filming in FS is my speciality and I have made a plethora of promotional and recreational videos for FSX.What programs do I often use? While I can't give you all my trademarked secrets, I can give you some advice. I personally use FRAPS and/or Camtasia (for simple screen captures). There are a ton of other capturing programs out there, but these are the ones I recommend. One good way to achieve an incredible framerate when filming in FRAPS at full screen is to save to a second hard drive, one that is NOT the one that has FSX installed on it. Your framerate hit will be subtle. There are many other great tips here that people have already mentioned.To do post editing, I utilize Adobe After Effects and Sony Vegas. Both tools are powerful, however Adobe has a bit higher of a learning curve. If you are new to making videos, I HIGHLY recommend simply utilizing Windows Movie Maker.FS-Recorder is an absolute must for film making. The playback mode is very powerful. Having a Track-IR in conjunction with FS-Recorder is also very nice, but is expensive.When my website goes up I will be putting together some tutorials for tips on crafting FS videos, as well as other gaming videos.In the meantime, if any of you are interested in asking me personal question, please e-mail me at cody.bergland@gmail.com.Good luck bud,-CodyJaggyroad Films

Guest fsxmissionguy

I'll comment on it for ya:The undocumented feature has almost no useage scenarios.What's the point of .avi video within FS if sound isn't recorded? Why use the AVI codec? Isn't Microsoft pushing (sensibly) Windows Media Video - at 10x the compression ratio of .avi with virtually no quality loss?