Sign in to follow this  
tup61

ATC addons comparison (first draft)

11 minutes ago, tup61 said:

FSHud received an update today. Yes, during the weekend. There was a little bug in it. Reported it on the FSHud forum and got the reply a new version would be online within half an hour. 5 minutes later it was there. The new update didn't fix the bug for me. Posted again on the forum. Received a tip within a few minutes. Problem solved. Within no time and all on a saturday. I like FSHud. 😉

BTW The latest version allows a max of 200 parked and 200 active aircraft, due to popular demand. Take note though that a lot of AI can hurt fps, regardless of CPU usage.

Yeah, I have to admit that after a shaky start, they have really improved this program. It's the only one that controls AI and provides ATC service besides the default option. I understand that there a lot of other things in the works as well. So, it will be interesting.

• Like 3

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

On 8/17/2022 at 11:22 AM, tup61 said:

This way, after some time, if everyone who owns one of the mentioned ATC addons chimes in, we will all be able to choose the ATC that is best for your specific set of wishes.

I've had FSHud for a few days and generally I like it. It's quite buggy though, so I feel more like I'm sponsoring the dev to be able to make this rather than having a product that works. But I sort of got it knowing that would probably be the case. 

Pros: 

• excellent interface
  • it injects AIG traffic so no need to use AIG traffic controller
  • it controls AI aircraft
  • it's easy to install
  • you can get support right from the application
  • the dev seems very eager to develop this further - frequent updates (2 in the last 24 hrs or so)
  • great support - I had a problem and the dev answered within a few hours

Cons: 

• it's very buggy
  • the voices are not that good
  • you have to file a flight plan for it even to work

My last couple of flights I've had all sorts of strange things happening. Was flying from CYBD-CZST which is along the Canadian-Alaskan border. I guess this messed up the ATC as it was switching back and forth between Vancouver and Anchorage FIRs every second or so. Guess I could have switched off the auto-tune frequency though. Because of this I have no idea how I was supposed to do things in terms of my descent from FL200. 

As I got a bit away from the border and closer to CZST, ATC came "alive" all of a sudden, and instructed me to report while on the localizer. Now, the way FSHud works is that pilot responses are done automatically. But this was also buggy. I captured the localizer and reported this - and then my pilot voice kept repeating the same "on the localizer" response all the way down. 

TL;DR: Would I recommend this in it's current state: No. I got it after being on the fence for many months, reading on the forums and then decided to make a calculated risk to cash out and test it out. And I don't regret it as it has a lot of promise, and I have faith that the dev will be able to turn this into something decent. I'm not going to use it on every flight though. I'll probably keep switching between default ATC and this. 

• Like 4

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

10 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Pros: 

• excellent interface
  • it injects AIG traffic so no need to use AIG traffic controller
  • it controls AI aircraft
  • it's easy to install
  • you can get support right from the application
  • the dev seems very eager to develop this further - frequent updates (2 in the last 24 hrs or so)
  • great support - I had a problem and the dev answered within a few hours

What do you mean that it injects AIG traffic? As I understood at the moment it injects its own traffic.

14 minutes ago, YouDontKnow said:

What do you mean that it injects AIG traffic? As I understood at the moment it injects its own traffic.

Have a look here: https://www.simforums.com/forums/aig-do-i-need-to-do-anything-to-make-it-work_topic65065.html

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

2 hours ago, YouDontKnow said:

FSHud inject its own traffic but it can use the AIG models and textures to visualize it. So you see AIG models and textures but FSHud is controlling it all. 

9 minutes ago, tup61 said:

FSHud inject its own traffic but it can use the AIG models and textures to visualize it. So you see AIG models and textures but FSHud is controlling it all. 

Exactly this was the point speaking with @Cpt_Piett

1 minute ago, YouDontKnow said:

Exactly this was the point speaking with @Cpt_Piett

Yeah I was expecting @tup61 to shed some more light on this. Which he just did 🙂

Another thing I haven't figured out, is how to get GA traffic with FSHud - and, if it's possible to get it with Phantom's mod. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Yeah I was expecting @tup61 to shed some more light on this. Which he just did 🙂

Another thing I haven't figured out, is how to get GA traffic with FSHud - and, if it's possible to get it with Phantom's mod. 

I use AIG with the former version of Phantom's mod (now gone) for GA. Both work well with FSHud. I use the AIG manager to keep everything updated but FSHud manages the traffic rather than AIG Controller.

Rick Abshier

38 minutes ago, ricka47 said:

I use AIG with the former version of Phantom's mod (now gone) for GA. Both work well with FSHud. I use the AIG manager to keep everything updated but FSHud manages the traffic rather than AIG Controller.

I'll see if I can get it to work with the one he posted recently. You're using the offline traffic slider to control GA traffic then?

9 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I'll see if I can get it to work with the one he posted recently. You're using the offline traffic slider to control GA traffic then?

No, FSHud is doing that. I see a good mix of commercial and GA. They do have some AI issues that they are working on currently.

Rick Abshier

3 hours ago, ricka47 said:

No, FSHud is doing that. I see a good mix of commercial and GA. They do have some AI issues that they are working on currently.

I see, thanks. 

This thread about ATC is quite interesting. As I fly only in VR, it seem the only one where the support for VR is possible would be ProATC. But the person that filled the questionnaire mentionned "need testing". Anyone has tested ProATC in VR ?

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

Just to add FSHud is now compatible with FSLTL!

I hear the FSLTL talking now in my flight from EIDW to LDDU.

FSLTL recognizes that FSHud is running and they talk to each other!

Edited by rob0203
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, kama2004 said:

This thread about ATC is quite interesting. As I fly only in VR, it seem the only one where the support for VR is possible would be ProATC. But the person that filled the questionnaire mentionned "need testing". Anyone has tested ProATC in VR ?

I can't say much about ProATC. I used it in FSX/P3D and it was OK, but for MSFS, the best choice with VR may be Pilot2ATC. It has voice recognition and works fine with VR, as long as you are prepared to memorize the most important phraseologies.

If I recall correctly, Pilot2ATC has a trial version (I think ProATC may not, but I am not sure). Just give it a try and see if you like it.

Peter