Sign in to follow this  
RobPol471

American Airlines will purchase 20 Boom Supersonic

American Airlines and Boom Supersonic announced the airline’s agreement to purchase up to 20 Overture aircraft, with an option for 
an additional 40. American has paid a non-refundable deposit on the initial 20 aircraft.
 Overture is expected to carry passengers at twice the speed of today’s fastest commercial aircraft.

https://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2022/American-Airlines-Announces-Agreement-to-Purchase-Boom-Supersonic-Overture-Aircraft-Places-Deposit-on-20-Overtures-FLT-08/default.aspx

• Upvote 1

Wow.  First United Airlines and now American.

This certainly lends more credibility and perhaps viability to the project.  I hope it actually comes to fruition.

I checked Boom's website again and must say that I find the marketing language about "sustainability" and "net zero" to be a bit laughable.  This is a plane that will carry relatively few passengers and use 4 relatively inefficient engines to jet them around at supersonic speeds.  

I'm betting that only well-to-do folks will be able to afford to fly on this thing.  The marketing is aimed at the upper middle class folks who want to feel good about being "green" while flying on a luxury supersonic jet that burns twice as much, or more, fuel per passenger mile as a standard airliner.

Nevertheless, I support the project and look forward to seeing it actually fly.

We'll see.

Dave

Edited by dave2013

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

43 minutes ago, dave2013 said:

Wow.  First United Airlines and now American.

I think its three airlines now. United Airlines. Virgin Atlantic and now American Airlines. 

home-united.jpg

43 minutes ago, dave2013 said:

This is a plane that will carry relatively few passengers and use 4 relatively inefficient engines to jet them around at supersonic speeds.

How they ay they intend to reduce environmental impacts is here.

https://boomsupersonic.com/flyby/post/booms-principles-of-sustainability

They say "committed to a net-zero carbon future". They don't claim to be achieving that initially as far as I can see. I define it as something they aspire to. 80% reduction in lifecycle CO2 SAF is their preferred fuel. 

Reducing our impacts

• We are conducting an exhaustive search of the most promising present and future sustainable aviation fuels (SAF) projects to help address our airplanes’ greenhouse gas footprints. Today, the best SAF on the market offer an 80% reduction in lifecycle CO2 over conventional jet fuel. In January 2019, we successfully tested XB-1’s engines using a blend of fuel that was ~80% SAF from waste animal fats. This test program gave us valuable information about how XB-1 engines perform using SAF. In June 2019, we signed a partnership with Prometheus Fuels to deliver low-carbon fuel during the XB-1 program. Prometheus’ technology efficiently converts atmospheric CO2 into jet fuel using clean energy. And we’ve pledged to make the XB-1 ground and flight test program carbon neutral through SAF and carbon offsets.
  • Although construction on the Overture final assembly line won’t begin for several years, we’re already planning how to design a LEED-certified production facility. Overture’s manufacturing center will also take advantage of on- and off-site clean electricity generation.

•  
Edited by martin-w

Option to purchase an aircraft that hasn’t even been built yet or had a test flight. Wow! And a non-refundable deposit paid too. 😳 I guess they have plenty of money.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

So, if it flies twice as fast will the tickets be half as much?

• Like 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Telling them they can't fly supersonic over UK/Europe  would seem like a nice little sting in the tail.

We have long memories

• Like 2

Pete Little

Someone's been studying the B-58 Hustler.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Option to purchase an aircraft that hasn’t even been built yet or had a test flight. Wow! And a non-refundable deposit paid too. 😳 I guess they have plenty of money.

No....the US Taxpayer has plenty of money! 

In the words of Pete Conrad, this is still very much "Tomorrowland".  

Rich Boll

Wichita KS.

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

Concorde’s most lucrative route was LHR to JFK. This allowed British businessmen to fly to New York departing 10:30 and land at 09:00. They could conduct 3-4 hours of business and depart JFK around 14:30 getting back to LHR around 23:00.

The reverse of this doesn’t really work because of the time difference and direction of travel.

So if businessmen are going to use the speed of Boom to gain a time advantage over sub-sonic flights which will be the lucrative routes? I don’t see it being used by holidaymakers.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Let's not hijack this thread with more green energy fantasy vs reality debate, please.  It's already been done.

• Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

6 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Option to purchase an aircraft that hasn’t even been built yet or had a test flight. Wow!

Where I work we sell a lot of airplanes that have been designed but not yet built or flown. I'm not suggesting that this lends any sincerity to Boom, I am still comfortably in the doubters section on this one. I think this has just about an equal chance of seeing certification as Hyperion does, which is to say not very much of one. Having said that, I sincerely hope that they succeed and do well into the future.

• Upvote 2

Kerry W. Gipe
Savannah Georgia, USA
US FAA A&P / Commercial Pilot Multi Engine Land IFR

Your talent is a gift from God. How you use your talent is your gift back to God.

8 minutes ago, GACSavannah said:

Where I work we sell a lot of airplanes that have been designed but not yet built or flown.

I suppose that depends on the complexity of the design. A delta wing commercial supersonic aircraft is about as complex as they come. Modern designers have an advantage over those for Concorde as wind tunnels had to be used back then to get the wing shape correct whereas computers can do much of that now.

Concorde has helped all future developers as they had to come up with solutions no one had needed before. Like the computer-controlled ramps that slowed air entering the engines from 1300mph down to 500mph in 11 feet. Without that there would have been no supersonic flight.  I’ve seen no mention of how that will be handled by Boom.

Nice to see you around Kerry. Still remember my trip to the US back in ‘98 and your guided tour of KCLT. 😁 Hope you and the family are keeping well.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

7 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

And a non-refundable deposit paid too. 😳 I guess they have plenty of money.

I'm curious how much the deposit actually was, per aircraft. That makes a difference.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Nice to see you around Kerry. Still remember my trip to the US back in ‘98 and your guided tour of KCLT. 😁 Hope you and the family are keeping well

I remember that day, it was a lot of fun! We have been down here in Savannah, about 4 hours south of Charlotte since 2007.I do miss the airline world, but would not trade it back for what I am doing today 🙂

• Like 1

Kerry W. Gipe
Savannah Georgia, USA
US FAA A&P / Commercial Pilot Multi Engine Land IFR

Your talent is a gift from God. How you use your talent is your gift back to God.