Sign in to follow this  
allenbachjma

THIS LOOKS INTERESTING !!!!!

Just spotted a link (over on simFlight) to this new forthcoming scenery product series, which looks really interesting - at last maybe we will get to see 'almost the real world' when flying high and it would seem with minimal performance hit.I for one will certainly keep my eyes on this one.http://www.fsaltitude.com/Cheers,Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

Not sure.. 15m is very low. It's like taking a step back to the days of Fly! and Megascenery for FS98. Better use TileProxy if you want large-scale photoscenery..

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I agree, but it remains to be seen, since looking at the web-link in the press release they talk about:"FS Altitude is fully compatible with FSX default and add-on sceneries, that are entirely conserved at low altitude due to a multi-layer display mechanism"This is the statement that I found interesting. It may mean that default / add-on textures are used at lower altitude and these new ones loaded at higher altitude....we shall see.I see several problems with TileProxy at present:1. Currently needs techie knowledge to get working.2. Can cause mega pauses in flight while new tiles are being processed and long initial load times.3. Not all areas of the world are in high res anyway, especially when flying outside of the US.4. Downloaded tiles take up alot of disk space which would need to be managed.Regards,Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

WOW... Are you kidding me. This is great. I have been asking for this for a long time.This product, if it is as described would not invalidate high resolution addons like Megascenery or airport scenery.The most boring stuff in Fsimming is when flying at altitude for a long haul. Yeah..the sky part is good.. but the land part always sucked with the repeating patterns. Yes..that includes Ground Env Pro and what not.Now, for altitude flying...it could be awesome.. and 15m is great for that.The only downside I see is, when you descend to airports where you do not have high resolution addons. Then, you would need the autogens. I hope this product would be able to retain the default autogens. This is yet to be seen. IF they retain the autogens.. they have a sure winner!JMO.Mannyedited to add: Oh..I see this ""FS Altitude is fully compatible with FSX default and add-on sceneries, that are entirely conserved at low altitude due to a multi-layer display mechanism""Well..then apart from a good HD and Blurries concern, it looks good.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

>>I see several problems with TileProxy at present:>>1. Currently needs techie knowledge to get working.>2. Can cause mega pauses in flight while new tiles are being>processed and long initial load times.>3. Not all areas of the world are in high res anyway,>especially when flying outside of the US.>4. Downloaded tiles take up alot of disk space which would>need to be managed.>>Regards,>StuartAlso, as far as I know (and I could be wrong):5. only displays date/time/lighting for when the photo was shotThat's the biggest drawback to photoscenery imo.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

"Some screenies look nice but others not so nice."Just like real life, isn't it?B.t.w. looks like a great addon :)-Rodger

Notice not night time screenshots. I suspect you will lose all night lighting, which would be bad.Matt

Hmm...you are right about night lighting. It could be an issue. I wish there was a way to say... use certain sceneries only during day time.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Simmarket has finally released the FS Altitude Has any english speaking simmer tried FS Altitude yet! I have found a tread in French wich looks promissing, but my french is unfortunately limited.There is some nice screens on the french tread: Search Subject: "FSALTITUDE: affaire

Guest Ben74

the screenshots do look great. however, my concern is that when you are decending from alititude, what happens when you transition from FS Altitude scenery to the default scenery? do you see a big texture "pop" from pretty photoreal to crappy FSX default?

Guest danny68

I may have missed something but the other concern is how does it integrate with other scenery add-on's such as GEX or FTX?????Dan

I installed this and played around with it for an evening.What it gives you is photorealistic scenery beyond a certain radius from your aircraft. Within that radius, you have the regular scenery textures (FSX, GEX (when they bring that out for Europe), or any other texture you have installed) or whatever photoscenery you had before. As you gain altitude, this circle obviously looks smaller and smaller, and you see more of the photoscenery. At 30,000 feet, you'll always see the photoscenery unless you look right down when the aircraft is banking.I think the idea is great. However I have three reservations in practice.1. Even at high altitude, it still looks slightly blurry. It could do with being at a higher level of resolution. The stock FSX textures look sharper.2. There can be quite a defined boundary between the inner circle and these photorealistic textures. For example, over Spain in this season, the FSX textures are quite brownish, but the photo scenery is greener. As you climb and ascend it's as though you are leaving and entering some arid area in the midst of greenery; sort of the opposite of an oasis.3. Obviously, there are no seasons or night lighting.Having said that, it has potential.Petraeus

Petraeus