Sign in to follow this  
737_800

Getting CTD recently more often

1 minute ago, SAPilot said:

Did you get any blurred ground textures during your flight across Africa ?. Since last week I know of several people here in SA , have that issue.

I wasn't watching all the time since even with 8 x time compression the flight took several hours but I didn't notice any blurred textures. The entire flight across Africa seemed to only consume about 1 or 2 gigs of rolling cache. I always have rolling cache on.

Textures looked okay even with 8 x time compression on in outside view.

• Like 1

Intel Core i5-12600k, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 64 Gigs.

With my developer hat on, a lot of this does seem server side. Although crashing out after long flights seems like the drip drip of a memory leak or cache overflow, where the bucket fills over time. From the game projects I have managed over the years, it is amazing how memory leaks can go unnoticed (it is easy to do, no fault on the devs) and that steady trickle sudden becomes a huge issue after a few hours of using the product. Its hard to spot by QA teams, due to the cumulative effect taking some hours.

This incidentally, why in our hobby, flying the more complex airliners can bring this issue in to sharper relief. Its not the fault of the aircraft expansion, just the fact they fill the resource bucket quicker than simple aircraft, meaning that memory leaks take effect faster as resource use is already higher.

Edited by JaneRachel
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

- Jane Whittaker

I don't think it's a memory issue: in my cases the crash happened on the ground before Pushback and after 30 minutes from takeoff. In many cases reported on MSFS forum, a lot of people have crashed also while loading MSFS

5 minutes ago, Jeeeno said:

I don't think it's a memory issue: in my cases the crash happened on the ground before Pushback and after 30 minutes from takeoff. In many cases reported on MSFS forum, a lot of people have crashed also while loading MSFS

no I mean in the asset management code on server side as much as anything 🙂 I have had crashes this weekend within the first 30 mins of flight too, to the point where I gave up in the end.

• Upvote 1

- Jane Whittaker

2 minutes ago, Elwyn said:

Update your BIOS it worked for me... no CTD anymore

I love how people especially on this forum come up with the most bizarre solutions and think they've solved the issue. Updating the bios is only the last one, but I've read also modify windows register, reinstalling MSFS etc ... 😁

Edited by Jeeeno
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, Jeeeno said:

I love how people especially on this forum come up with the most bizarre solutions and think they've solved the issue. Updating the bios is only the last one, but I've read also modify windows register, reinstalling MSFS etc ... 😁

what's so bizarre about that one? That solved my problem, I'm just sharing, or it might help. what's wrong with that mr smart guy

Just now, Jeeeno said:

the best advice I can give now as a 40 year developer is for people to sit tight and not mess with their systems as it risks turning an issue in to something much worse. This is definitively not a user issue so tinkering can be a problem rather than a fix. (There are of course CTDs for lots of reasons which may be at the user end, but this seems very much not a user issue)

ASOBO genuinely work very hard and want to fix everything they can as quickly as they can. I spent a long time with them as I was a BAFTA judge and got to know them when I had to judge one of their shortlisted titles for an award (I was BAFTA technical achievement judge). Really good bunch of people.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

- Jane Whittaker

Just now, JaneRachel said:

the best advice I can give now as a 40 year developer is for people to sit tight and not mess with their systems as it risks turning an issue in to something much worse. This is definitively not a user issue so tinkering can be a problem rather than a fix. (There are of course CTDs for lots of reasons which may be at the user end, but this seems very much not a user issue)

ASOBO genuinely work very hard and want to fix everything they can as quickly as they can. I spent a long time with them as I was a BAFTA judge and got to know them when I had to judge one of their shortlisted titles for an award (I was BAFTA technical achievement judge). Really good bunch of people.

Exactly what I was thinking: updating your Bios o more modify windows register is a risky take with little to none chance of success. Reinstalling MSFS is a huge waste of time as it's not going to change anything. 

19 hours ago, pmplayer said:

OK guys, just to report back: I did my flight again exakt time was 3h 47mins and i did it - means no CTD at this time 😎

What i did before this flight : I did a "sfc /scannow" and it founds some errors and fixed it and i installed the newest Nvidia driver ( 516.94 ) i was on 512.XX.

Restart my PC..

And now this flight went well no props at all, what i can not say for shure is if my actions did the fix or maybe I just got lucky this time with this flight - so i have to do some more flights but not anymore today..

After i tried and done more flights i report back what´s goeing on, but i am happy about this successful flight, my others the last days i never get finished for land so a happy camper at the moment..

cheers 😉

Today i did another flight 2h 20mins without CTD´s all went fine, so looks good for me at the moment - maybe back to no CTD again..🤗

Just to say: SU9 no GSX !

cheers 😉

Edited by pmplayer

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

8 minutes ago, Elwyn said:

what's so bizarre about that one?

Well, it simply isn't good advice. Glad it worked for you (for now 😉 ) but I am sure there are lots of people out there who have an up to date BIOS and still have CTD's. Besides, you shouldn't update a BIOS unless it's 100% certain you need to. Usually this need is NOT to get a program running but some change in hardware. Afaik there is no motherboard manufacturer that releases a BIOS update to get a certain program running again. Updating a BIOS can be a risky operation and isn't something you'd do on a regular basis. If there is ONE thing that the proverb 'If it ain't broke don't fix it' applies to, it's the BIOS.

Edited by tup61
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Elwyn said:

what's so bizarre about that one? That solved my problem, I'm just sharing, or it might help. what's wrong with that mr smart guy

Sorry but that doesn't make sense: updating Bios, solving possible server side crashes. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jeeeno said:

Snake oil .. high demand this Monday .. 😆

• Like 2

Intel i7 - 9700K @ 3.60 GHz   |   Asus RTX 3080  |  32 GB RAM  |  Saitek ProFlight Yoke System and Rudder Pedals | X-Touch Mini | Honeycomb Bravo TQ

7 minutes ago, tup61 said:

Well, it simply isn't good advice. Glad it worked for you (for now 😉 ) but I am sure there are lots of people out there who have an up to date BIOS and still have CTD's. Besides, you shouldn't update a BIOS unless it's 100% certain you need to. Usually this need is NOT to get a program running but some change in hardware. Afaik there is no motherboard manufacturer that releases a BIOS update to get a certain program running again. Updating a BIOS can be a risky operation and isn't something you'd do on a regular basis. If there is ONE thing that the proverb 'If it ain't broke don't fix it' applies to, it's the BIOS.

Not a risky one unless you know what you are doing., I updated mine before Windows 11 to met Win11 requirements, and now I'm running without a single CTD since I update my BIOS.