Sign in to follow this  
woodstock327

P2A issued crossing alt that didn't make sense

On a flight today P2A gave me a crossing altitude of 'At or Above FL110' for EXCOS, the last waypoint of my STAR

spacer.png

which is marked on the chart with 'At or Above 4000'

spacer.png

Which makes sense, it's very close to the IAF:

https://i.ibb.co/QJtXcjt/Screen-Shot-2022-08-20-at-9-22-22-PM.jpg

spacer.png

"At or above FL110" would make the approach (Alt for approach is 3000 ft) simply impossible. Shouldn't P2A take the published min/max altitudes from the chart into account when stating crossing altitudes?

Thanks!
Dirk

I've had similar experiences and communicated with Dave, the developer, about them. He's working on improving the descent calculations for the next beta version.

Were you getting vectored to an approach? In my experience, that's when it tends to leave you way too high very close to the airport.

3 hours ago, mmcmah said:

Were you getting vectored to an approach?

In this case nope, cleared for the STAR and approach as filed, no vectoring...

That does usually mean the program has decided to give vectors, likely because of a manual termination of the STAR or Approach transition.  This might not be communicated at the arrival call time.

If you press the APPR button, the gold line for the approach should appear and you can see if that is the case.

And I am indeed reworking the arrival calculations for the next Beta.

Dave

• Like 1

Yeah, didn't get any vectors... If it happens again I'll check with the APPR button if that's at least the intention...

Thanks!

Dirk