Sign in to follow this  

Do you fly with real weather?

I'm been trying to fly the LDS767 in FSX but the drastic wind shifts in FSX are preventing me from getting a satisfactory flight.I'm basically come to run now with NO weather; setting surface winds at departure and destination just for flavor of runway assignments on takeoff and landing.Are there those of you who run will real weather and have found a way to cope with these drastic wind shifts? If so how?Because these shifts in wind are taking away from all the fun of the wonderful LDS767.I've been looking at ASX but have seen some messages on their forum about also having issues with wind shifts so I've held off on purchasing until a solution is found. I was wondering if this is true?Thanks for any comments.Sean Green

Sean Green

Try turning off the 'winds aloft' setting in the options of FSX.

Guest BobKK

I always fly with real wx updated every 15min. The "abrupt wind shift" bug (I think it's a bug) has been around since FS first made real wx available. No one has ever explained to me why it occurs or why it's never been fixed (assuming a fix is possible).Fortunately it doesn't, in my case, happen too often so I just live with it.

Guest SSmokin

As a real pilot, I can tell you, severe wind shift are quite real. They are unpleasant on the simulator, because they are also unpleasant in real life. Look on the bright side, at least on the simulator, your legs don't get tired. :)

I fly in real weather and use ASX. The Leveld 767 is nice, I thought I had gotten in over my head at first when it took me 4 hours to start it but now it makes all the other default and addon aircraft seem kind of boring. As for the so called wind shift bug I doubt its a bug cause it happens for real. A friend of mine and I had gotten tossed around quite a number of times in a little cessna 152 flying around the south carolina mountains out of Anderson. Thats like flying in a little volkswagen beetle. Oh and try to avoid those rotor clouds. They are a real roller coaster on the down side.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Guest abulaafia

it is a (FSX) bug, and ASX are working on it. I only fly with ASX, it's fantastic. Doesn't even begin to compare with what MS calls "Real Weather" :-)==Marten:Weber==P-D920 oc3.64MHz 2GB RAM WinXP ATI X1900+1024MB 2xSATA250 2xVIEWSONIC 19"Best AI available today: www.world-of-ai.com

It seems to be worse post-SP1. Before SP1, I used AS6.5 and experienced relatively smooth wind changes, similiar to how AS6.5 and FS2004 behaves. Now I get abrupt wind changes that send my aircraft into overspeed or near stall, depending which way the wind changes. I am a bit concerned that ASX, which I was considering purchasing, also has this problem :-(Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

It's not a bug - never has been.However, it is an inherent issue in the way FS is designed. A bug is something which does not work as designed. A design choice which we don't like is not a bug.Computers programs must have sharp boundaries between zones of behavior. FS is no different.FS purposely gives up smoothing out wind shifts to avoid having to dump the majority of the processor power into working the weather engine when it crosses boundaries.FSUIPC helps some with smoothing. So do programs like Active Sky. All take power away from FS to make the changes smoother.Yes - SP1 is different. FS is not a set of neat little modules where changing one does not impact other things.Active Sky will get it worked - it just may take a while to find the right combination.

Some people even get their flight ended from "Aircraft Overstressed" alerts.If you have had that happen, one workaround that has been mentioned is to turn off "Aircraft Damage From Stress" checkbox in your settings.If this departure from realism disgusts you too much to do, then at the very least, you can disable it in cruise and re-enable it when going in to land.As was said, the ASX guys are working on smoothing these transitions out.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>I always fly with real wx updated every 15min. The "abrupt>wind shift" bug (I think it's a bug) has been around since FS>first made real wx available. No one has ever explained to me>why it occurs or why it's never been fixed (assuming a fix is>possible).>>Fortunately it doesn't, in my case, happen too often so I just>live with it.I'm not very familiar with FSX but in FS9, ActiveSky added with FSUIPC did a great job at preventing this for being a big issue