Sign in to follow this  
guenseli

Please vote for historic weather

9 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I think when I had AS 16 in P3D I used historic weather maybe three times in around five years. 

Same with me.  I just looked up the METAR at EGLL and reviewed the historical weather for today.  In the last 8 hours it has hardly changed at all, certainly nothing significant.  I know that can change on any given day with storms blowing in, however, for most flights, its good enough.  If you fly on Vatsim certainly you want everyone on live weather for arrival spacing.

• Like 1

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

3 hours ago, MarkW said:

Do you think there is a really challenging programming/implementation issue here that prevents this from happening or is it just a low priority for Asobo

I had understood from an earlier discussion on this that the issue may very well be the amount of data required. The Active Sky data file was not that large -- it contained just the latest data from METAR stations around the world and some data on winds from NOAA. The Metroblue predictive model, which has a lot more data and generates its own data, is much, much larger and is generated every 12 hours. So the issue may be related to how to store all that data -- going back years -- on a server and to do so economically. I am sure there are also some technical aspects by the sheer amount of data to maintain may be one of them. 

In any case, it is nice to see them listening to the requests and at least now investigating the feasibility of doing this. 

• Upvote 1

Dan Scott

2 hours ago, tup61 said:

Nice to know. I used it almost daily. And I am sure I am not the only one who used it on a regular basis.

Me 2, used historical weather 99% of the time.

• Like 2

Sergio Naiberg

1 hour ago, Cognita said:

I had understood from an earlier discussion on this that the issue may very well be the amount of data required. The Active Sky data file was not that large -- it contained just the latest data from METAR stations around the world and some data on winds from NOAA. The Metroblue predictive model, which has a lot more data and generates its own data, is much, much larger and is generated every 12 hours. So the issue may be related to how to store all that data -- going back years -- on a server and to do so economically. I am sure there are also some technical aspects by the sheer amount of data to maintain may be one of them. 

In any case, it is nice to see them listening to the requests and at least now investigating the feasibility of doing this. 

Interesting info.  I think most people want to try and sync the weather to the sim flight time rather than their local time.  I would imagine 48 hours of historical data would cover 98% of use cases.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

4 hours ago, MarkW said:

Interesting info.  I think most people want to try and sync the weather to the sim flight time rather than their local time.  I would imagine 48 hours of historical data would cover 98% of use cases.

Totally agree, that shouldn't be such a big database for servers to become too expensive and overflown.

• Like 1

Sergio Naiberg

10 hours ago, jbdbow1970 said:

I want to be Twenty years old again never going to happen, I would love to bring back even 1 year to see my favorite Uncle again not going to happen. I want to go a apply for a PPL and use some earlier made up weather to get certified not going to happen. Whats the big friggen deal, of coarse this is coming from someone tries to simulate thing as realistic as possible on live time.

Do you have a pilot's license at all?  If not then, by your own standards, shouldn't you reason that being able to fly is something that's "never going to happen" and delete your sim?

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

4 hours ago, MarkW said:

Obviously, I'd prefer a lot more, but 48 hours is long enough to avoid the symptom of nighttime conditions at midday that I experience now.

• Upvote 1

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

4 hours ago, MarkW said:

I wouldn't go as far as 98 % but I agree going back 48 hours would be a big step forward. It would at least solve the time of day issue.

But it wouldn't help with seasons, which was my main usage of historic weather in P3D / Active Sky. Just choose a random day in July and enjoy the summer when simming in IRL December (without traveling to the other hemisphere what I  need to do now in MSFS).

If the amount of data really is a problem, just using a snapshot of the worldwide weather every six hours and interpolate in between would already help a lot. It wouldn't give totally accurate weather but still reasonable weather when it comes to seasons and time of day.

Edited by RALF9636
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, RALF9636 said:

But it wouldn't help with seasons, which was my main usage of historic weather in P3D / Active Sky. Just choose a random day in July and enjoy the summer when simming in IRL December (without traveling to the other hemisphere what I  need to do now in MSFS).

This indeed.

You can now also vote to have it in the next Q&A if you are interested in historic weather implementation:

When will historic weather be considered? - Community / Dev Stream: Ask Questions Here! - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Edited by guenseli
  • Like 1

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 9/12/2022 at 11:55 PM, RALF9636 said:

I wouldn't go as far as 98 % but I agree going back 48 hours would be a big step forward. It would at least solve the time of day issue.

If the amount of data really is a problem, just using a snapshot of the worldwide weather every six hours and interpolate in between would already help a lot. It wouldn't give totally accurate weather but still reasonable weather when it comes to seasons and time of day.

48 hours would indeed be a great improvement. Not only would it solve the issue when flying at a different time today but it might also solve an issue that after unpausing a flight "live weather" needs to catch up.

Your idea of snapshots might be a good idea, although I wonder whether the amount of data is really an issue, considering all the data MSFS already requires in the cloud. I hope the license to use Meteoblue data is not the restricting factor.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

I haven't followed this long thread but just out of curiosity why do you need historical weather?  This is something in 30y I've never had any interest in so maintaining access to historical weather worldwide just seems like a big service very few will ever use.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

just click that link above?! 🙄

Guenter Steiner

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester