Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rererangi

Logbook.bin file error - FSX Stop Responding!

Guest Rererangi

Hi all,It only took me two days and 3 complete reinstalls of FSX but I think I found a bug!I'll detail my latest attempt and what I found:- Clean install of FSX, SP1 & FSUIPC added.- Started flying the 'Missions' for a bit of a laugh and got as far as completing 'Hawaian Checkout' (except the helicopter ones, can't fly them!).- Shut down FSX, came back later and restarted, game stops responding on the loading screen.Much yelling and stomping of feet. Uninstall FSX, reinstall FSX, move my personal settings.cfg and logbook.bin file somewhere safe for later...- Another clean install of FSX, SP1 & FSUIPC. Game now runs fine again...Think to myself 'great!' and move my settings.cfg and logbook.bin file back to the FSX files folder in My Docs.FSX stops loading again?!?!?!'Hmmm' I think and move my logbook.bin file back to the safe place.FSX working again!I seem to remember I had just completed the same mission when it stopped working the first time.I might try flying just that mission to see if I can cause the problem again, see if I can pin it down.Anybody got any thoughts on this?CheersMike

Guest dg3274

If you think your log book is corrupted, you might want to go to avsim file library and look under FSX Utilities for the Log Book Recovery program. Worked good for me!

>Hi all,>>It only took me two days and 3 complete reinstalls of FSX but>I think I found a bug!>-SNIP->>Cheers>MikeFSX logboog corruption with the attendant "hang on the splash screen"is a known problem that has been commented on for months.There are a couple of utilities that will enable you to recover or edit the logbook.bin file.Originally, I used a HEX editor to repair mine. With the utilities available now, that procedure isn't necessary.One thing that I found that will corrupt your logbook is attemptingto delete an entry that is NOT the vary LAST entry. Especially ifthe entry has a comment attached like "Aircraft crashed at end of flight"or any other for that fact. Anything that makes an entry longer than the "default" length.Now if I need to delete records when I'm doing alot of test hopsI use the logbook editing utility. I haven't had a corruptedlogbook since. It's a good idea to backup the logbook regularly, just in case! Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Guest Rererangi

I am learning now that this is not a new problem!FSX is a bit new to me as it has only worked on my system with the advent of SP1.Thinking back, I am pretty sure that on both occasions I had 'tidied up' my logbook following a crash or unwanted entry, so I reckon you may have located the source of my problem.Thanks for the replies, at least I know the fix now so I can stop banging my head against a brick wall when it happens next time!CheersMike