Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

Object LoD unfunctional?

I'm seeing many airport objects (signs, lamps, vehicles etc.) appearing and disappearing in close proximity. Particularly, on landing, many airport details pop in very late. That's why I've started to play with the Object LOD values in the sim but also increased it above its gui limit of 200 by changing it to 300-400 via usercfg.opt. I've never seen any significant change in what distance airport objects appear/disappear. So my question arises, for what kind of objects is this O-LOD slider good for?

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Despite the name of this setting is similar to "Terrain LOD", it seems to work differently.

According to some tests I've done last year, Objects LOD affects the LOD of objects that are in the proximity of the POV, not the draw distance of objects.

In other words, with a higher Objects LOD you will see a "better version" of the objects but not more (distant) objects.

Please see this thread:

Oh, and with regards to lights and even buildings often popping out and in near airports, I can confirm the issue.

Edited by MrFuzzy

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

Thanks, now I understand. So we cannot do anything against the taxiway blue edge lights popping in one after the other in only 100 feet distance? Is that the prize we pay for better performance? I'm not aware how long we have this issue but imo it's getting worse since quite some time.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

5 hours ago, Nemo said:

I'm seeing many airport objects (signs, lamps, vehicles etc.) appearing and disappearing in close proximity. Particularly, on landing, many airport details pop in very late. That's why I've started to play with the Object LOD values in the sim but also increased it above its gui limit of 200 by changing it to 300-400 via usercfg.opt. I've never seen any significant change in what distance airport objects appear/disappear. So my question arises, for what kind of objects is this O-LOD slider good for?

I think it only extends to other aircraft (i.e. their details). Scenery objects are controlled by the LOD they were given from the scenery dev. So yeah, it's pretty useless and has next to no effect on FPS. Just leave it on 200.

Edited by Fiorentoni

8 hours ago, Nemo said:

I'm seeing many airport objects (signs, lamps, vehicles etc.) appearing and disappearing in close proximity. Particularly, on landing, many airport details pop in very late.

This has been reported since alpha but not fixed yet. Its 'core' code issue and am suspecting fsx code at that. Incredible it is hardly mentioned by users though so doesn't get priority it deserves.

Same here.  Mine is set at 200 but i've never found any significant difference lowering or raising this.

The terrain LOD is a different matter.  Changes to that value make big visual differences and higher levels can force your system to a crawl, especially if using complex photoscenery packages.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

8 hours ago, Freq_flyer44 said:

This has been reported since alpha but not fixed yet. Its 'core' code issue and am suspecting fsx code at that. Incredible it is hardly mentioned by users though so doesn't get priority it deserves.

Well, not really... there are many threads on the topic: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/search?q=pop-in

Probably it's a hard one to fix.

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

6 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

Well, not really... there are many threads on the topic: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/search?q=pop-in

... most of em older than a year. Simmers are getting used to it.

- Harry 

56 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

Probably it's a hard one to fix.

Either that or they're spending too much time on other things like making more eye candy and prettier cities! :wink:

• Like 3

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

20 hours ago, Nemo said:

Yes the same is for distant animations, like windmills and other animations on airports become stuttery when longer away. Really anoying.