Sign in to follow this  
Roy Warren

Around the World Flight Complete-

I might do a RTW some day, in the Darkstar upside down.🤡

• Upvote 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

4 minutes ago, Fielder said:

I might do a RTW some day, in the Darkstar upside down.🤡

🤣🤪

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Perhaps RTW with the A2A Comanche. I always say I will do it when a new airplane releases that I like... and then I give up.

I've done most of my legs in the excellent 414, which seems well suited for this. Initially I was thinking to do everything in the 414, but there's just so many great GA aircraft available that eventually I didn't want to commit myself to that. I've done the shortest legs in the 152 and the Savage Grravel 🙂

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

15 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

I am looking at a round the world myself, probably using the C414 due to the speed and range. 

I am interested in any stories or suggestions as I haven't decided on the route yet.

Amazing that we can even contemplate this in a flight sim.

Another trip I am looking at is to visit every state in the US, maybe using the C172 improvement mod, which I am liking a lot, and range isn't so much of a problem for it on that trip.

This is the route I took for the first half (almost) of my RTW flight. I'm now continuing eastwards, but have to go north first, up the eastern side of Australia, then Indonesia, up to Japan, and across the Pacific via the Aleutians, then Canada, Greenland and back to the UK. My main recommendation is - use an aircraft that has speed and range. I'm using the Just Flight non-turbo Arrow III, which I love, but it's not the fastest of aircraft. Your choice of C414 sounds suitable, though a number of people have been using the DA-62 with its improvement mod and the W.T. G1000 NXi mod.  Good luck - the fabulous scenery in MSFS makes such a trip hugely enjoyable. A real voyage of discovery!

B8XeGrv.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

15 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

I am looking at a round the world myself, probably using the C414 due to the speed and range. 

I am interested in any stories or suggestions as I haven't decided on the route yet.

Amazing that we can even contemplate this in a flight sim.

Another trip I am looking at is to visit every state in the US, maybe using the C172 improvement mod, which I am liking a lot, and range isn't so much of a problem for it on that trip.

Iam planing my third around the world trip, this time iam going to reproduce the path made in the first circumnavigation flight in 1924, iam going to use the Cessna 310R, 71 legs, only 11 above 400 nm.

https://pioneersofflight.si.edu/content/first-flight-around-world 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Maniac said:

Iam planing my third around the world trip, this time iam going to reproduce the path made in the first circumnavigation flight in 1924, iam going to use the Cessna 310R, 71 legs, only 11 above 400 nm.

https://pioneersofflight.si.edu/content/first-flight-around-world 

That website has some very interesting information. 

"The flight from Iceland to Greenland tested the pilots’ skill and courage. They encountered heavy fog and had to fly very low and close to the waves. Flying at 90 miles per hour with little visibility, they barely avoided hitting towering icebergs. One of the pilots later admitted he was terrified."

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

That website has some very interesting information. 

"The flight from Iceland to Greenland tested the pilots’ skill and courage. They encountered heavy fog and had to fly very low and close to the waves. Flying at 90 miles per hour with little visibility, they barely avoided hitting towering icebergs. One of the pilots later admitted he was terrified."

That flight is going to be reproduced IRL next year.

On 8/30/2022 at 12:21 PM, Maniac said:

That flight is going to be reproduced IRL next year.

Wow. They need some brave souls then 🙂 Must be an exhilarating experience for the pilots. 

I've finally decided on the last part of my world tour. Sorry to the OP, don't mean to hijack the thread in any way. Just feel enthusiastic about it. This has been one of the most fun things I've done since I installed MSFS on my PC two years ago. 

So I crossed the Bering Strait, then headed southwest towards the inlet of the Amur river at UHNN Nikolayevsk-na-Amure. I'm currently following the river down to Khabarovsk, then the next stop will be Vladivostok. Here I have to choices (at least). Initially I was thinking to go via Beijing and Shanghai. But now I've decided to go to Japan after Vladivostok. I will fly over the whole country, north to south. Then the southern Japanese islands including Okinawa. And via Taiwan, the Philippines and then Borneo towards my destination, which is Jakarta. 

When I reach Jakarta I'll probably start planning for the next world tour, as I haven't included Africa, South America, Australia and New Zealand on this one 🙂 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

So I crossed the Bering Strait, then headed southwest towards the inlet of the Amur river at UHNN Nikolayevsk-na-Amure. I'm currently following the river down to Khabarovsk, then the next stop will be Vladivostok. Here I have to choices (at least). Initially I was thinking to go via Beijing and Shanghai. But now I've decided to go to Japan after Vladivostok. I will fly over the whole country, north to south. Then the southern Japanese islands including Okinawa. And via Taiwan, the Philippines and then Borneo towards my destination, which is Jakarta. 

When I reach Jakarta I'll probably start planning for the next world tour, as I haven't included Africa, South America, Australia and New Zealand on this one 🙂 

The Amur River impressed the stuffins out of me.  I did not realize how big the lower Amur was, or at least appeared to be in P3D w/Orbx Vector.  I assume it is equally wide and awesome in MSFS.   In MSFS, I've flown the lower MacKenzie River in Canada, and it reminded me of the Amur.  Maybe not quite as big though.

Another RTW I planned, but have never flown, would be a 4-leg route using a Boeing 777 or some other long-legged aircraft.   This would be going North-South pole to pole.  So I'd take off in KBOS/Boston Mass. in the USA.  Then head over-the-pole to Mudken, China.  Then from Mudken to Perth, Australia.  Then from Perth over the South Pole to Ushuaia, Argentina.  And finally Ushuaia back to Boston.   It would be a weird way to RTW, but it's...RTW.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Cpt_Piett  I agree with your decision to go through Japan and Taiwan.  That's the way I went.  Japan is an interesting country.  Visited Heroshima and Nagasaki.  Mount Fugi.  Consider Dubai and Quatar when you get around on that side.

Roy

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mace said:

I assume it is equally wide and awesome in MSFS.

Unfortunately none of the map providers have any decent scenery. But as I fly I look at maps, read some, and try to imagine how mighty it would look irl 🙂

Roy,

and all the rest who've done RTW - congratulations! Will have to give it a try, as we finally have a great sim to make it interesting and realistic.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

I haven't done a RTW "route" per se, but I am traveling "around the world" in a manner.  I began criss-crossing every continent and land mass in a north-to-south zig-zag manner last year. I started with Canada, then moved down to the continental US, South America, Central America and Mexico, the Caribbean, Northern Europe, Eastern Europe and the Mediterranean.  I then proceeded through all of Africa, including forays out to Madagascar and other islands of the Indian Ocean.

I followed that by picking up the Mideast and moved into Asia.  I just finished Southeastern Asia, including India, Tibet, Cambodia, Thailand, Laos and Vietnam and am now headed back into eastern China.  I have found beauty everywhere in the world and some very large deserts too.

I have used a stable of aircraft and switched mattering on distance to the next port.  All flights were by instrument with Live Weather and included the C172, Turbo Bonanza, Cessna Caravan (modded), TBM 930 (modded) and the WT CJ4 - especially handy when the next airport might be 1,500 miles away.

• Like 2

Randall Rocke

I've decided I need a big old fashioned rotating globe...off to eBay I go! I can plan trips in any direction then 😄

I just imagined a USB powered globe with integrated software where you could touch the surface and the software would highlight nearby airfields on your PC/tablet. Then your flight plan would highlight the route around the globe and sync with your sim journey. Wishful thinking though!

Also...someone here could create a Death Star template for it and live out their dreams of Empirical HQ administration...

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK