Sign in to follow this  
FTD1949

Posting of questions and responses

Hi all forum members.As a frequent user of the forums I frequently see both questions and statemnets regarding all aspects of MSFS.Many times I see statements such as "No FPS hit at all" or "runs withno problem" but don't include system specs so that another user has some idea where their system stacks up.When it comes to problems many of the posters fail to include theirsystem specs and OS which would lead to hopefully a quicker resolutionof their problem.It's very easy to set up a signature which shows all system componentsas well as your OS.Just a suggestion to include system specs in ALL posts so that the folks that are looking at the post whether it be a statement of howan Add-On aircraft performs for them or a problem pertaning to anyaspect of FS the folks will know exactly where you are coming fromby being able to see your system config and not end up comparing apples to oranges as many problems are system specific.Just a thought.CraigASUS A8N- nForce SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCIe MOBOAMD ATHLON64 3500+ CPU w/ HT TechLG GWA-4161 DVD/CDSeagate ST3160811AS 160GB Barracuda 9 7200RPM 8MB SATA II 3Gb/s NCQSeagate ST3160811AS 250GB Barracuda 9 7200RPM 8MB SATA II 3Gb/s NCQEVGA 7950 GT KO PCIe 512mb nvodngov19147-[Guru3D.com] drivers SB Audigy 22G Corsair PC 3200 400MHZ Dual Channel DDR Aspire 500W P/SWin XP Pro SP2Track IR3 w/vectorCH Yolk & RuddersFS Genesis Terrain MeshFS Genesis Land ClassActive SkyRC4

Guest UlfB

Craig,That's a good idea!Ulf BASUS P5W DH Deluxe - LGA775 Intel 975X 1066/800 MHz,2 x PCI Express x 16, ATI CrossFirleIntel ICH7R, jmicron JMB363, Silicon Image 4723Intel Core 2 Duo EXTREME X6800 2.93GHz 4MB FSB10664GB Corsair XMS2-8500C5 XtremeAntec Truepower Trio 550Watt2 x ST3250823AS 250GB SATA disks.1 x Maxtor 250GB SATA disk.1 x WD Raptor Gamer 150GB SATA disk.1 x ASUS DVD-E616A1 x TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552LBFG 8800GTX PCI Express x 16, 768MB. nVIDIA 158.22 drivers.HP LP2465 1920x1200 32 bit and Samsung SyncMaster 913N 1280x1024 32 bit. Dual View.Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro, Driver version: 2.9.7Win XP Pro SP2Marvel Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller.Track IR4 ProCH Yoke, CH Rudders, Saitek Cybort Evo ForceAvast AntivirusPerect Disk 8FSX SP1, FSX SDK SP1AFS Genesis World Mesh, North America Mesh. US LandclassActive Sky FSXXGraphicsAerosoft Alcatraz, APS-Luxemburg, Aspen, Beaver FSX, FDC, Helgoland X, Monaco X.Carenado Mentor, C182Q, C182RG, C206, Centurion II 210M, Piper Cherokee 180F.Cloud 9 Bergen, XClass Europe, Addon Manager.Eaglesoft Citation II, Cirrus SR22 G2Flight 1 C441, ATR 72, Skyhawk 172R, Instant Scenery, LevelD 767, Ultimate Terrain USA.FSBUILDFSD Piper Navajo, Piper SaratogaFSUIPC 4.12Georender Yellowstone FSXMegaScenery X HawaiiModuleToolXMyTraffic XMyWorld FSXFSX Vector EuropeAI SmoothFSCamera XAutothumbnailEZ Landclass 3.01FSX KML 1.07SBuilderLandclass AssistantAnd some additional freeware sceneries that will be specified on demand

Guest UlfB

Hi again Craig,I did complete my sig with missing information. Wouldn't it be great to include the FSX display settings and data about the graphic card settings as well. Better to include fsx.cfg, dll.xml, exe.xml and scenery.cfg files. That info will tell a lot when somebody posts I get this and that fps. Maybe this info should go in attached textfiles or else the messages on this forum will become quite large.Ulf B :-)ASUS P5W DH Deluxe - LGA775 Intel 975X 1066/800 MHz,2 x PCI Express x 16, ATI CrossFirleIntel ICH7R, jmicron JMB363, Silicon Image 4723Intel Core 2 Duo EXTREME X6800 2.93GHz 4MB FSB1066, OC 3.3GHz4GB Corsair XMS2-8500C5 XtremeAntec Truepower Trio 550Watt2 x ST3250823AS 250GB SATA disks.1 x Maxtor 250GB SATA disk.1 x WD Raptor Gamer 150GB SATA disk.1 x ASUS DVD-E616A1 x TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552LBFG 8800GTX PCI Express x 16, 768MB. nVIDIA 158.22 drivers.HP LP2465 1920x1200 32 bit and Samsung SyncMaster 913N 1280x1024 32 bit. Dual View.Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro, Driver version: 2.9.7Win XP Pro SP2Marvel Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller.Track IR4 ProCH Yoke, CH Rudders, Saitek Cybort Evo ForceAvast AntivirusPerect Disk 8FSX SP1, FSX SDK SP1AFS Genesis World Mesh, North America Mesh. US LandclassActive Sky FSXXGraphicsAerosoft Alcatraz, APS-Luxemburg, Aspen, Beaver FSX, FDC, Helgoland X, Monaco X.Carenado Mentor, C182Q, C182RG, C206, Centurion II 210M, Piper Cherokee 180F.Cloud 9 Bergen, XClass Europe, Addon Manager.Eaglesoft Citation II, Cirrus SR22 G2Flight 1 C441, ATR 72, Skyhawk 172R, Instant Scenery, LevelD 767, Ultimate Terrain USA.FSBUILDFSD Piper Navajo, Piper SaratogaFSUIPC 4.12Georender Yellowstone FSXMegaScenery X HawaiiModuleToolXMyTraffic XMyWorld FSXFSX Vector EuropeAI SmoothEdited: WheelCamFSCamera XAutothumbnailEZ Landclass 3.01FSX KML 1.07SBuilderLandclass AssistantBella Coola Valley (Holger Sandmann)Tumbler Ridge (Bob Caparoula)Mule Creek (Bob Caparoula)Vancouver International Airport for FSX, version 5 (Nigel Grant)Victoria CYYJ (Don Grovestine)Alicante Airport LEAL (Miguel Angel P

Guest tmilton

I like the idea, although I had a good chuckle at Ulf's humor. :DI think it is overdue that Avsim updated its forum software to a more modern user interface, like phpBB, Invision Power Board, VBulletin, or others that are available that are way more user friendly and feature loaded than this one.Some of the newer forum software systems allow you to place your computer specs to the left, right under your user name, out of the way of your main post so posts appears cleaner and tidier without adding clutter to your posts. Here is an example of such a forum system:(Also note the ability to use avatars, and the cleaner quoting system available, instead of ugly angle brackets >> )http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=229017Newer forums software also clearly delineate a section for your signature at the bottom, (which the Avsim forum does not do), which prevents confusion that occurs sometimes when users mistake the signature as part of the main post.Time for an update of the Avsim forum software? ;)

Guest UlfB

tmilton,That would be nice. But with the essential data like in my sig below, I think it won't clutter the posts too much. And in the context of the matter discussed, you could add aditional data as needed.Ulf B :-)Core2Duo X6800 OC 3.3GHz, 4GB RAM8800GTX, dual view 1920x1200 and 1280x1024Creative SB X-Fi (Gamer mode)WinXP Pro SP2, FSX SP1

Guest tmilton

Ulf, your sig is nice and compact, but the main point I was making is that everyone's sig that appears on this forum is merged with the main body of the post, and sometimes a sig is mistaken for part of the post. It sometimes takes a repeat post from a user to confirm to others that it is indeed a sig that is being displayed.The newer forum software systems that are available have a separate section at the bottom part of the post window that clearly delineates that it is a sig that is being displayed, and no confusion occurs. Besides, it looks much cleaner, being out of the way of the main post. Many of us do visit other forums, and can see the advantages that newer forum software offer.

Guest jshyluk

If you volunteer to become an Avsim Product Reviewer, your system specs become a matter of public record every time you submit a review. Most of my posts don't need a sig, as a matter of fact, I am a staunch anti-sig personality. I do put "Avsim Product Reviewer" in as a sig, but only because Avsim asked me to identify myself in my posts. I don't even have it as an automatic sig, I just type it in every time. That being said, I do have a file that I keep that I can cut and paste that has my system specs on it. If I really need to post that, it's available. Otherwise, I feel more comfortable with people reading my main message and not debating the relative quality of my computer. Jeff ShylukAvsim Product Reviewer

Guest UlfB

Jeff,I wasn't serious in my replies (post 1 and 2). Those posts was only intended as examples why NOT to use sigs with long inventories of everything that eventually might have an impact on performance.Ulf BNot an Avsim Product Reviewer

But it's not to judge your computer. It could make it easier to judge a statement like ,"no fps hit on my computer". So you can get an indication about what it will do on your own computer, an indication, probably not more than that but still.Something that i find a little annoying on this forum is this: Very often i make a bookmark (favorite for the IE people) to read a message later. The bookmarks appear without a title what makes it very difficult to find a certain message back.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | Intel Core i9-10900K @ 5.3GHz | 64GB Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 | 500 GB M.2 NVMe for win | 2TB M.2 NVMe for FS2020 | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Eric from EHAM, a flying Dutchman.

Guest tmilton

>That being said, I do have a file that I keep that I can cut>and paste that has my system specs on it. If I really need to>post that, it's available. Otherwise, I feel more comfortable>with people reading my main message and not debating the>relative quality of my computer. >>Jeff Shyluk>Avsim Product ReviewerI see your point Jeff, but I think that a sig helps tell others a bit about ourselves. It helps identify and introduce ourselves, adds a bit of individuality, a bit of creativeness, and helps others instantly recognize us, especially in the form of an graphics image sig. I think it introduces an additional dimension to the otherwise flat and routine forum board system, by adding a bit of flair, color and life.The only thing is, as you mentioned, it can be distracting if overdone, and can clutter the main message. Again, which is why I mentioned a more modern forum software can tuck the signature neatly into a delineated separate section at the bottom of the post window.So you can get your main message across without a hodgepodge of unrelated information distracting from it, as well as the ability to express your individuality in the form of an image, or computer specs, or whatever, in a neat and clearly defined section.

Guest jshyluk

For sure, I got that. I like humour -- it's fun! I'm just anti-sig for myself: as long as sigs don't get wildly out of hand, I can live with other people's sigs, too. Kind of like blogs. For the record, I am anti-blog as well, but that doesn't seem to have stemmed the tide of bloggers.Jeff ShylukAvsim Prodcut Reviewer

Hi Ulf, I appreciate your tongue in cheek humor but I think you probably realize what I said. If a person has a problem then it is most helpfulto post system specs if it might be hardware related and save someonefrom asking the inevitable question: What are your system specs??Might actually reduce the number of threads.CraigA big shiny box, mouse and keyboard.:) And that thing I'm looking at now.

Couldn't you give a bit more detail on yoursystem Ulf? Bit sketchy!Peter Sydney Australia

I find posters simply stating:OS,Computer type,ram,Card,& Card driversto be the most useful.Peter Sydney Australia

Guest UlfB

>Couldn't you give a bit more detail on your>system Ulf? Bit sketchy!>Peter Sydney AustraliaThanks Peter :D I'd like to add video resolution(s) to your list.Craig, I agree that it's a good idea to present info on your hardware and software setup, when giving opinions on performance. But in most cases there is no need for long lists such as in the initial posts in this thread.Ulf B :-)