Sign in to follow this  
Guest Don Stone

Problems With Downloads From FSD

Guest Don Stone

Just wondering if anyone else out there has experienced problems with downloads from FSD. I've recently had built a new gaming PC and gone to FSX and in so doing decided to upgrade the FSD Navajo and Porter to FSX as well as purchase the Seneca. However, when I extracted them to FSX and and tried to run these aircraft they all had BMP files missing ie Navajo 5, Porter and Seneca each 1 .I contacted FSD support but they claim there is nothing wrong at there end and it is a problem with my PC...I don't agree because I have purchased other payware aircraft, scenery etc. and have had no problems with any of them. I've now downloaded them numerous times trying all sorts of changes to security, fire wall etc but just cannot get full downloads. Would appreciate some advice please and thankyou in anticipation. :-hmmm

Guest Don Stone

Thanks for the reply Jim. I did retry your suggestion..I had tried it but thought maybe I hadn't found the right program or hadn't turned it off properly (Still not sure about that!!- I use Avast4)- however, sorry to say things are still the same ie did new download for the Navajo but the same five files are still not there.:-(

Guest Don Stone

Hi Jim, I know this question is a bit dumb maybe but for the life of me I cannot find the button to turn the Avast 4 antivirus off. I tried various things yesterday but to no avail so I'm giving in and asking the experts. Hope you can help. Thanks:-doh

Guest JimC1702

Right click the little Avast icon in your system tray. A menu will pop up, then click on "Stop on-access protection".Jim

Guest Don Stone

Many thanks Jim - greatly appreciated.

Guest Don Stone

Unfortunately, still the same result. I give up...I just cannot understand though how this could happen after having downloaded succesfully from this site in past years with no problems. Also, having no troubles with the many other sites that I have downloaded FSX items from with this PC. Frustrating but thats life...thanks Jim for your help anyway. Regards Don S:-roll

Guest SteveS_FSD

Don>Also, having no troubles with the many other sites that I have Whilst we are genuinely sorry to learn that you are having download problems we can assure you that from our website is A-OK. We don't skimp on our webhosting arrangements, and we successfully deliver without incident many, many hundreds of downloads every single day of the year. Even under peak loads following a new release our site performance does not suffer. We only rarely have reports of download problems, and in those very rare instances where we do get those reports they are from users using weak ISP's (such as AOL, or people on weak dial-ups) that consistently interrupt downloads because their backbone is not adequate to support their subscriber base. Using GetRight or similar 'resume download file managers' always resolves their problems. Unfortunately, the only folks who seem to consistently suffer these inexplicable problems must inevitably look at contributing local operating system issues or ISP performance issues that will be responsible for causing these (genuinely regretted) download problems. Givewn the specifics of your report, and our considerable support experience, I think the problem is a local operating system or configuration issue rather than an ISP issue but I could well be wrong.I also live on the east coast. Your server log data shows are connecting via a Western Australian located I.P./ISP from Port Macquarie NSW. I would suggest you contact your Western Australian ISP and explain the problem to them. FYI, using Telstra bradband (both mobile and fixed landline ADSL) I can (and I have) successfully downloaded and reinstalled the files you are talking about - and I did precisely that just prior to posting this message in the middle of the peak AU evening usage period.Please let us know (via our Tech Support portal) if you require further assistance. Regards,http://www.fsd-international.com/team/Steve_signature.gif

>Don>>>Also, having no troubles with the many other sites that I>have >>Whilst we are genuinely sorry to learn that you are having>download problems we can assure you that from our website is>A-OK. We don't skimp on our webhosting arrangements, and we>successfully deliver without incident many, many hundreds of>downloads every single day of the year. Even under peak loads>following a new release our site performance does not suffer.>We only rarely have reports of download problems, and in those>very rare instances where we do get those reports they are>from users using weak ISP's (such as AOL, or people on weak>dial-ups) that consistently interrupt downloads because their>backbone is not adequate to support their subscriber base.>Using GetRight or similar 'resume download file managers'>always resolves their problems. >>Unfortunately, the only folks who seem to consistently suffer>these inexplicable problems must inevitably look at>contributing local operating system issues or ISP performance>issues that will be responsible for causing these (genuinely>regretted) download problems. Givewn the specifics of your>report, and our considerable support experience, I think the>problem is a local operating system or configuration issue>rather than an ISP issue but I could well be wrong.>>I also live on the east coast. Your server log data shows are>connecting via a Western Australian located I.P./ISP from Port>Macquarie NSW. I would suggest you contact your Western>Australian ISP and explain the problem to them. FYI, using>Telstra bradband (both mobile and fixed landline ADSL) I can>(and I have) successfully downloaded and reinstalled the files>you are talking about - and I did precisely that just prior to>posting this message in the middle of the peak AU evening>usage period.>>Please let us know (via our Tech Support portal) if you>require further assistance. >>Regards,>>http://www.fsd-international.com/team/Steve_signature.gifWhy not mail a cd to him?

Guest Don Stone

Thankyou for taking the time to contact me and your constructive comments Steve. It is rather perplexing and frustrating to say the least, especially with my past excellent service with FSD and the enjoyment I have had from FSD aircraft in that time. Anyway, I will take up the matter with Westnet and see where we go from there. I do use a download accelerator ie Getright Pro 6c.Your technical department advised me to check out a few things which included Direct X (Done, no probs). I've tried with the firewall and antivirus off, but they also mention "A corruption in your Window Xp installation itself(services, registry or drivers}. What do I need to do this? - I have a program called "Registry Fix" which I run every so often so I guess that leaves "services" and "drivers".Anyway many thanks and will let you know what transspires here. Regards Don S

Guest Don Stone

Gday...well I contacted my internet provider (in WA)and they reckon there is no problems with their servers on the east coast. Spent most of yesterday re-downloading etc but still getting missing files.So that's it...I'll just put these aircraft in long term storage and see what happens sometime down the track. Thanks again for the comments and advice, regards Don S:-wave

Don,If you can't get the files by download we can mail all the titles to you on a CD. That's no problem. Tell us if your address has changed.Your Internet connection somewhere between your local ISP and our server has a problem somewhere, and it is likely a problem neither one of us can diagnose. We are not hearing other reports like this on our end, so it is impossible to say where the problem is.Tim Dickenshttp://www.fsd-international.com/team/TD_forum_sig.gif

TD_forum_sig.gif

Guest Don Stone

Tim, Thankyou for your kind offer and the contructive and helpful comments I have received from Steve Small, yourself and many others in this matter. After all my frustrations over the last couple of weeks I would like accept the offer for which I'm very thankful and grateful. I am no technical type but I think you are both right on the ISP issue..however I spoke with Westnet again today and they claim that all their traffic is channelled through Telstra systems and that they have had no other complaints....so!!! I'm between a rock and hard place.... Anyway, thankyou all most sincerely for your help. ps. Yes, my address is still the same..can be confirmed though from Seneca purchase I made a couple of weeks ago:-beerchug

Guest Don Stone

Gday all.....just want to make a public (forum?) apology to FSD, its staff and those who gave advice in this matter. The problems that I was experiencing have, with time, proven to be "in house". Last week I had to take my (new) gaming PC to the "Computer Man" as it had problems (just wouldn't fire up) which were found to be a registry related. Anyway, everything had to be reloaded including FSX. Thought I'd reload all my FSD aircraft just to see what happened and quess what....they all came up OK and fly beautifully with NO missing scenery files etc. Terrific and I'm "over the moon" about this. Anyway, I'm truly sorry for the frustration, sceptism, etc displayed in this matter and the time wasted by everybody who took the time to offer assistance/advice in solving this. Regards.

Don,Glad to hear you finally got it sorted out. I haven't ever had the kinds of problems you described on my FS system - but I did have issues on my "music" (digital recording) PC a few weeks ago that eventually, after much (and I mean a lot of) hair pulling, prompted me to start over and reinstall Windows and all of the applications that I had on that box. Very painful, and I think we can thank the OS for these kinds of time-wasting frustrations.Now, be sure to back up a System Restore point (if it didn't happen automatically) so that you have a "known good" configuration to fall back to if it all goes pear-shaped again.Dave Blevins

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack