Sign in to follow this  
bkircher

New computer, need feedback.

Hey there to allI am very close to getting a new computer and i was wondering what all of you guys think about it. and how you all think it will run with FSX and Vistahere are the specs-AMD Athlon 64 X2 Processor 4600+ Windows Vista Home Premium Dual Core 64-bit processor with AMD64 Technology at 2.4ghz each-2 gigs of ddr2 ram at Dual Channel (2 x 1024MB), 533MHz-nVidia GeForce 6150SE Chipset, WHICH I AM GOING TO UPGRADE TO A 7600 OR HIGHER-Hard Drive: 320GB SATA II (7200RPM, 8MB Cache)here is what i currently have-2.8ghz P4-320gig hd at 7200rpm-1gig of ddr ram-nvidia 6600 at 256ddrwhat do u all think?Thank you very much for the feedback that you will give me!!! its going to make a difference

This should be in the hardware forum...Anyway, well....It will be better than what you have, maybe a 20-30% perf increase...You'll need a better video card, even than a 7600...I'd look into an 8600 or 8800 GTS 640mb, That CPU is ok, but doesn't come close to the C2D's that Intel has....Is this a store-bought PC?Do you have the opportunity to build one yourself at all?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest tmilton

Nice system. The only suggestion I have is that you should opt for a better graphics card than the 7600 if you can.

actually id go for an amd 6000. The cpu is the biggest bottleneck, id also get faster ram 667mhz will give you a few extra frames. going from a 4600 to 6000 cpu gave me 5 or 6 frames upgrading the video from 7900 GTS to 8800 GS gave me zilc. No extra frames. Get the faster cpu.

ya its a store bought compi am planning for sure to get a better gcard. im thinkin in the 8 series.

Build yourself an Intel E6600 system with good board graphics and ram, nothing against AMD but they are falling behind just now, especially for FSX usage.Go to the hardware forum for better advice.

ya i would if i had that kind of moneyim trying to get the biggest bang for the money that i have avaiblei was planning on getting a custom one made but, i found almost the same thing for a 1000 dollars less that the custom one, so i jumped on the cheaper onethe only thing different was the processor which was going to be a core duo 2 at 2.4ghz, and i just got a 2.4ghz amd with more to it than the custom one that was more than a 1000 morethe custom one i was planning on was around 2200 to 2400 and this one i got was 1000.i am going to update the gcard and up the ram in the future but i figure this is going to be an increase in performance and is a very good start to getting this sim running good and smooth!more suggestions are always welcome!

Its hard to follow what you are doing? you mention having bought an AMD CPU, but ask for advice on what to do?My advice is, if you are still buying, then go for an Intel C2D system, preferably an E6600 with suitable ram and motherboard ETC, also this set up is not really that expensive if you value the hobby .... also, Intel prices are coming down mid to late July ... I'm no Intel a really excited user, but for FSX and practically everything else, then AMD are way behind just now ... You just cant compare CPU rated speeds anymore, the AMD you mention at 2.4GHz will seem sluggish compared to an Intel C2D E6600, also that E6600 will likely give you a safe overclock of 50% or more, further reducing the value you are saving by buying AMD just now. But have fun, whatever you decide to do.

im sorry for making it confusing. i good at that! what i did was i bought a amd cpu, and i think it is a good deal. i get virtually what i was gonna get if i were to have gone though gateway.com and customise a computer to my liking but for alot less money. the way i had it picked out is that i would basically be getting the same processor that i now have with the amd, but for 1000 more dollars. the only thing that is different is the newness of the technology. i am going to update the ram and graphics card to ultilize the dx10 features and hopefully when i am done i will have fsx running really well!this is what i would have got if i had more moneyIntel