Sign in to follow this  
manuthie

Ten Hours of Flight in X-Plane 12

I don't care what Austin says. Going by the distance traveled, I would definitely notice an entire layer of cloud dissolving away and then showing up again slowly in the very same spot. It definitely wouldn't be as dramatic but there's no way I wouldn't notice it.

• Like 2

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

There's, I believe, a basic mindset that will keep feeding the typical arguments regarding comparisons between MFS and XP... This is fatal, and has always been around, just like in other human activities / sports / competition for partners / etc...

But the problem is, and I think Austin at least, and as the creator of X-Plane has certainly made that point clear quite a few times, there is a completely wrong assumption regarding XP12 being here to compete with MFS !

XP12 is here to offer X-Plane users the New Version of X-Plane, after X-Plane 11, bringing a worth of new features that were asked for by users and developers.

I do not see here any arguments against MFS from IL-2 or DCS users, or the way around, simply because strangely MFS or XP users do not find it meaningful, although truth being said, DCS, IL-2, MFS and XP, and AEFS too, and even Flight Gear, could all be compared based on very specific features such as weather, flight, systems, etc... modelling.

XP12 will, I strongly believe only because I never had the chance to try any Alpha version of it, be a Great flight simulation platform for desktop X-Plane users, and surely for mobile flightsim users where the #users is even bigger.

XP12 will bring me a redesigned, in most aspects that are so important for me, flight dynamics model !

XP12 will bring me a new World model where the Sun lighting / daytime - nightime  / Moon with phases, get more accurately represented !...

XP12 will bring me a better, much more opened to 3pd development Weather Model ! that will add some really important features to live, such as geopotential height variation with Temperature, better convective lift and associated cloud representation, but not only !

XP12 will bring me a New ATC system ! 

XP12 will bring me better autogen, vector data, mesh, water grapics and physics, ...

XP12 will bring me some really interesting default aircraft, like the A330 ( by far my preferred );

XP12 will give me the chance to upgrade my preferred Airbus add-on for XP11 ( the Toliss A319 ) for a marginal value:

So, basically X-Plane 12 will NOT bring me food for useless comparisons with MFS, which I also find as one of the very best flight simulation experiences I ever had, and intend to continue profiting from and investing in, and whshing for even more rewarding features to get added by the talented and dynamic team @ ASOBO !

X-Plane 12 will bring me an even better X-Plane, the kind of flight simulation I use for additional Realism in terms of aircraft design and flight dynamics as well as to use with some of the very best aircraft add-ons I have ever used, some of it even for free ike the Zibo Mod 737.

Can't you guys look at it this way too ?

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 15
  • Upvote 6

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

10 minutes ago, jcomm said:

There's, I believe, a basic mindset that will keep feeding the typical arguments regarding comparisons between MFS and XP... This is fatal, and has always been around, just like in other human activities / sports / competition for partners / etc...

But the problem is, and I think Austin at least, and as the creator of X-Plane has certainly made that point clear quite a few times, there is a completely wrong assumption regarding XP12 being here to compete with MFS !

XP12 is here to offer X-Plane users the New Version of X-Plane, after X-Plane 11, bringing a worth of new features that were asked for by users and developers.

I do not see here any arguments against MFS from IL-2 or DCS users, or the way around, simply because strangely MFS or XP users do not find it meaningful, although truth being said, DCS, IL-2, MFS and XP, and AEFS too, and even Flight Gear, could all be compared based on very specific features such as weather, flight, systems, etc... modelling.

XP12 will, I strongly believe only because I never had the chance to try any Alpha version of it, be a Great flight simulation platform for at least desktop X-Plane users, and surely for mobile flightsim users where the #users is even bigger.

XP12 will bring me a redesigned, in most aspects that are so important for me, flight dynamics model !

XP12 will bring me a new World model where the Sun lighting / daytime - nightime  / Moon with phases, get more accurately represented !...

XP12 will bring me a better, much more opened to 3pd development Weather Model ! that will add some really important features to live, such as geopotential height variation with Temperature, better convective lift and associated cloud representation, but not only !

XP12 will bring me a New ATC system ! 

XP12 will bring me better autogen, vector data, mesh, water grapics and physics, ...

XP12 will bring me some really interesting default aircraft, like the A330 ( by far my preferred );

XP12 will give me the chance to upgrade my preferred Airbus add-on for XP11 ( the Toliss A319 ) for a marginal value:

So, basically X-Plane 12 will NOT bring me food for useless comparisons with MFS, which I also find as one of the very best flight simulation experiences I ever had, and intend to continue profiting from and investing in, and whshing for even more rewarding features to get added by the talented and dynamic team @ ASOBO !

X-Plane 12 will bring me an even better X-Plane, the kind of flight simulation I use for additional Realism in terms of aircraft design and flight dynamics as well as to use with some of the very best aircraft add-ons I have ever used, some of it even for free ike the Zibo Mod 737.

Well said that man, my sentiments exactly. Cheers Pete

Win 10 Pro 64bit - CPU Intel i7 9700K 5.1GHz - Cooler Noctua NH-D15 - MoBo Asus Z390 Aorus Master - RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32Gb (2x16Gb) DDR4 2800 15-15-15-35 - GPU Asus Cerberus GTX 1070Ti - A8Gb - Drives 3 x 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M2 NvMe

All I can say is that I am perfectly content with the way the clouds and especially the atmospheric scattering look in the video. Of course you won't see the "pulsing" at normal speed. Now push the word not allowed button Laminar and let my get my hands on it!

• Like 4

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

3 hours ago, Krakin said:

I don't care what Austin says. Going by the distance traveled, I would definitely notice an entire layer of cloud dissolving away and then showing up again slowly in the very same spot. It definitely wouldn't be as dramatic but there's no way I wouldn't notice it.

you wouldnt unless you stood in the same spot for ever

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Krakin said:

The existence of planes like the Fenix, PMDG line, 310 etc. in MSFS puts a lid on that nonsense. Better to keep the discussion to X-Plane 12 anyway.

the nonesense has returned, did u watch the video👍😏

@jcomm is entirely correct in his assessment. Will definitely keep using both MSFS and XP12. My third install, however, is silently crying in the corner.. 😉

Was really hoping for a release of XP12 this weekend!

• Like 3

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

14 hours ago, Malaromane said:

Just about everyone -- both here and over at .org -- seems to be ignoring the fact that the point of the timelapsed video was to show that X-Plane 12 was able to "fly" for 10 hours straight without a CTD. It was a memory leak test (and a successful one I'd say).

But not a good visual 'perception' for the general public....and especially on the cusp of availability to the public.

4 hours ago, jcomm said:

All your points are well said!!!!!!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jcomm said:

[...]

No argument here. Currently very happy running MSFS and XP11. It's not an either/or choice.

(I still have P3D4 too, for certain aircraft.)

Edited by Holdit
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

LR is never been known to do a superb job of promoting XP, go figure.

• Like 1

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

5 hours ago, jcomm said:

there is a completely wrong assumption regarding XP12 being here to compete with MFS

You are only partially correct. Laminar is releasing xplane to keep the user base like yourself happy because they have been clamoring for improvements. They are also releasing of course to make $$$. However, xplane 12 is in fact here to compete with MSFS, for users. If the user base is not happy, they may just move to the competition. Many users stopped using xplane 11 and are waiting for 12 before they jump back in or jump off the ship for good.

Laminar has to be of the mindset that they are competing with any and every simulator on the market. The strong point for xplane is currently the flight model. But remember, Microsoft has the resources to continuously improve the flight model as they've been doing for the last 2 years.

Regarding the video, it seems the same set of data generate the same exact cloud.  So, if you were at your parking, it may become noticeable after a bit. There needs to be some randomness. The same exact weather reports at a different point in time can never produce the same identical clouds due to other environmental factors. So, it just needs to be randomized and blended together on weather updates. Probably easier said than done. It will get there eventually though.

• Like 2

Flight Sim PC - OS: Windows 11 Pro. CPU: i9-13900K.  RAM: 64GB. GPU: NVidia RTX 4090 OC
Flight Sim Xbox - Seriex X, 3TB

I'm sure the cloud pops are just looking bad because of the fast replay rate.  They do show the same issues as MSFS though...  they're just little puffs and don't necessarily show different cloud structures.  Though I do see a bit more structure than MSFS - this is a good sign.  And plus we all know this will be early beta.

I'll be buying for sure!

• Like 5

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

4 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

I'm sure the cloud pops are just looking bad because of the fast replay rate.  They do show the same issues as MSFS though...  they're just little puffs and don't necessarily show different cloud structures. 

Agree...and the great thing is Laminar will make XP12's weather engine available for 3rd parties to create something better unlike what MSFS allows (which is currently my main sim). It will be interesting to see what third parties come up with.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I don't care how it looks, flies or whatever, they need the support to keep making the software better. I'm supporting them regardless. I fly them all and they all have their pluses and minuses, so be it. Good luck Austin, you will have my money for sure!

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders