Sign in to follow this  
loop_n_roll

Those doggone ILS problems

I've searched and still can't find the right answer. I'm sure it's here somewhere, but I could use a little direct help.I was trying to land the default CRJ at Midway on RW 13C. The map view says the freq for the ILS is 109.90 and I set that in Nav 1. Approaching the RW at 2000' on a heading of 110, the autopilot never intercepts the ILS.Here's what I'm doing: using AP to control speed and altitude and heading with the ILS freq in Nav 1 and waiting to see the needle move so I can press the APR button. The needle never moves. I may be using that AP all wrong. All help appreciated.

AMD 3800X, Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT, AS Rock X570 Phantom Gaming 4, 32mb 3600 ram

I tried it and it works fine. Bet you have the GPS switch on instead of nav. (left side of panel)DickDavis

Guest BobKK

That was my first thought.GPS mode is used while "enroute" But once you're ready to intercept the ILS localizer, then you have to switch from GPS mode to NAV mode.IOW, with the AP guiding your plane enroute, once you are ready to fly towards the ILS (either with vectors from ATC or following the approach plate) switch from "GPS" to "NAV" and then turn on "HDG", making sure that the heading indicator on your HSI, for example, is set to the proper heading that will intercept the localizer, usually at a 20 or 30 degree angle. Just when you see the localizer needle start to move, switch on the "APP" button, which will now guide your AC down to the runway. Switch off the AP when you're about 200-300 feet above the RWY and take over manually.If you're flying a plane that has an autothrottle (like the Learjet)make sure you also turn off the "SPD" switch, before you take over manually.If you're on a full ILS approach (rather than a LOC approach) make sure you are flying low enough to pick up the glide slope from below. ATC will usually give you the proper altitude for this.

You've got to enable APR before you intercept the ILS! Intercepting is 'part of' APR! Also be sure you aren't too close to the airfield already. If you use the GPS (for reference, not for guidance, at least not at this point anymore) you will see green ILS lines running out of the runway. Aim the plane so it will intercept the ILS somewhere at the end of the green line (so on the OTHER side than where the airfield is) in a shallow corner (less than 50 degrees, 20 is indeed better). When you've got the plane flying into that direction (but aren't there yet) THAN you've got to press APR, so BEFORE you get to that point, and only THAN it will intercept the ILS. Until the ILS is intercepted the plane will stay in HDG mode and the APR mode is armed, meaning it is ready to take over itself when it 'sees' the ILS.Apart from that you've got to make sure (as others have said) NAV is on as the source for the AP and not GPS.

Try it with the default C172 and see if the problem is the same with a simpler aircraft?Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

Guest radivil

>Try it with the default C172 and see if the problem is the>same with a simpler aircraft?Yeah, I used to have a lot of trouble getting the CRJ to fly ILS approaches even though everything was set up right. So I practiced a bunch with the C172. I suggest flying from KNPA (Naval Air Station Pensacola) to KPNS (Pensacola Regional); its where I practice. Its a short flight, barely 10 minutes, and flying ILS approaches there. The terrain is flat, being coastal Florida, and no tall buildings around so there's nothing for you to worry about or make the sim slow down. And there's very little traffic, as Pensacola isn't a very busy airport and NAS Pensacola doesn't have any by default. Both of its runways have ILS approaches available (runways 17 and 26 but not 8 and 35), too. NAS Pensacola has at least two ILS approaches too, so you can fly back and forth practicing.

It was the GPS switch. I had left it in GPS and forgot to set it to NAV.Thanks to all who responded.Radvil, I'll try the practice approaches you suggested.

AMD 3800X, Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT, AS Rock X570 Phantom Gaming 4, 32mb 3600 ram