Sign in to follow this  
spilok

My solution for low fps in P3d

I usually love the fact that my fps in P3d is excellent; however, occasionally, I see a significant drop that seems unexplainable.  I try generating a new config and I try changing my Nvidia drivers to see if that helps.  I can honestly say that for me, neither of those solution attempts seems to really work well.  I was getting such low fps at Montauk, NY, yesterday that I couldn't believe it.  My fps hovered around 15-16 regardless of the plane that I placed on the runway.  What gives?  I tried the latest DDU to delete all my driver issues, loaded new drivers and nothing seemed to work.

The one thing that absolutely DID work was this:  I went into my Control Panel and deleted Client - then I installed my Client again from my saved P3d Version 5.3 Hotfix 2.  Then I deleted my Content - then I installed my Content again from my saved P3d folder.  Finally, I deleted my Scenery - then I reinstalled my Scenery from my P3d folder.  Voila!  FPS is spectacularly high again, and I'm not exaggerating when I say it is in the 80's, 90's and over 100 when I'm flying and very high when I'm on the runway.  It seems that all the video driver changes and even utilizing DDU can change things in my config.  I don't know, and perhaps I'm not correct in concluding what's happening, but I do know that the solution for restoring my FPS resides in this procedure.  I have a Jetline system that allows me to put all my Graphic settings full right.  I use 2 times SSA and my scenery is absolutely beautiful.

I am once again a "happy camper" and whether you believe me or not, it is a solution that works for me. I flew from Montauk today to KLAX without even a hiccup and I just love P3d when it works this way.

Stan

So, basically you're saying is that you re-installed P3D and all was well afterwards?

47 minutes ago, Sparkrite said:

So, basically you're saying is that you re-installed P3D and all was well afterwards?

Not a total re-install...just the Client, Content, and Scenery.  Nothing is lost.  All your addons are there and all your settings remain intact.  I think of it as a sim-refresh.  There's absolutely no danger of losing anything.  

Edited by spilok

While it might sound silly because you're not actually changing much, I can say that I've done this twice with the same effect.

I think by nuking shaders, replaced textures, etc., you get back some performance. It might all be placebo effect though.

3 hours ago, mspencer said:

While it might sound silly because you're not actually changing much, I can say that I've done this twice with the same effect.

I think by nuking shaders, replaced textures, etc., you get back some performance. It might all be placebo effect though.

It sure doesn't appear to be a "placebo".  Since I've done it, my fps has been quite spectacular.  I've been in flight simulation since the beginning, and I'm not an amateur at this.  I truly believe that the myriad times I've changed video drivers (I change them with every new driver Nvidia introduces), coupled with using DDU on occasion, does indeed have an effect on the scenery and content of the program. Again, if it doesn't seem to work for you then continue to do what you do.  When I'm getting stutters and slow response, I will try whatever brings back the sim to normal. I absolutely do nuke my shaders on occasion, and I do create new configs.  This last time I reinstalled the big 3 pieces of 5.3 Hotfix 2+ and it worked wonders for my daily flying.  

Spilok -- did you run the delete generated files?

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

1 hour ago, pgde said:

I made that mistake in my early P3Dv4 days. No wonder it’s called the nuclear option. Deletes all the critical files so you have to install all your scenery again.

I’m guessing he didn’t. 😁

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, pgde said:

NEVER - NEVER!  What I do is really safe...it just makes sure that all the files for Client, Content and Scenery are present, just in case some were inadvertently changed or deleted.  With all the addons, sceneries, planes, etc that we install on any regular day, I believe it's possible that some basic original files are changed or deleted.  That's my opinion...and that's my rationale for doing this.  It doesn't harm a thing, so it's perfectly safe.  What have you got to lose?

Stan

Hi Stan,

Since what you say is that it happens on more than one occasion, what you do to cure it appears to be a successful part of a logical elimination process that shows as you suggest a file or files has changed or perhaps been deleted. Why not next time try doing only one component at a time, testing after each in turn. Suppose it is just due to one component (Client, Content or Scenery) then you can save time doing only that one component next time. Another idea is to observe the file dates in Explorer immediately after the problem appears and see if there is a recent change to a file or files and find out what is causing that change, maybe an addon you recently used as you suggest might be changing a file or files and maybe the addon developer can be messaged about it and you can avoid that addon interfering with P3D for the time being until it is fixed, I guess that would be a better solution in the long run especially if this problem appears quite often. I suppose in the case of files deleted it will take more effort to locate the culprit but still doable if you have a prior list of files from a good installation.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

2 hours ago, SteveW said:

Hi Stan,

Since what you say is that it happens on more than one occasion, what you do to cure it appears to be a successful part of a logical elimination process that shows as you suggest a file or files has changed or perhaps been deleted. Why not next time try doing only one component at a time, testing after each in turn. Suppose it is just due to one component (Client, Content or Scenery) then you can save time doing only that one component next time. Another idea is to observe the file dates in Explorer immediately after the problem appears and see if there is a recent change to a file or files and find out what is causing that change, maybe an addon you recently used as you suggest might be changing a file or files and maybe the addon developer can be messaged about it and you can avoid that addon interfering with P3D for the time being until it is fixed, I guess that would be a better solution in the long run especially if this problem appears quite often. I suppose in the case of files deleted it will take more effort to locate the culprit but still doable if you have a prior list of files from a good installation.

Regards,

Steve

Has it ever happened to you, Steve?  Over the years of using flight simulation, performance changes have occurred in the sim and it is up to us to figure out what happened. This FORUM is full of threads from simmers who are searching for fixes to their sim's lethargic performance. Fortunately, I've never had to REINSTALL the whole simulation program to correct a performance anomaly.  Well, maybe once...many years ago with FSX.  The process of uninstalling and reinstalling each component is much faster than trying one, firing up the sim, then trying another, firing up the sim, etc. It's actually a refreshing feeling loading the components of the sim KNOWING I will not lose anything in my program that I have previously saved.  If it didn't work, I certainly would not do it.  P3d makes doing this so very easy since the components are all together in Control Panel.  I've saved a copy of the latest P3d download (5.3 HF2) on my X drive, which is not used for anything important. (My P3d Program is on its own 1 Terabyte drive) So it's easy to pull up that saved program, put it on the right side of my screen, and put Control Panel on the left hand side of my screen.  I do the uninstall of Client, and immediately reinstall the Client from my saved program.  Then I do it with the other 2 modules.  I don't do this procedure haphazardly just to do it.  I have a valid reason for doing it, and since it has worked for me, I thought I'd share the idea.

Stan

Edited by spilok

14 hours ago, spilok said:

Has it ever happened to you, Steve?

Hi Stan,

No I've not had any performance losses and never had to reinstall anything with P3D fortunately.

All the best,

Steve.

• Like 2

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

5 hours ago, SteveW said:

Hi Stan,

No I've not had any performance losses and never had to reinstall anything with P3D fortunately.

All the best,

Steve.

Wow!