Sign in to follow this  
Michael Moe

Slew mode (how to move camera)

Hi,

How do you move your drone/camera mode without actually moving the plane ?(slew commands)

Right now my point of view is just behind the tail of the plane.

Thanks

Michael Moe

• Like 1

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

1 hour ago, Michael Moe said:

Hi,

How do you move your drone/camera mode without actually moving the plane ?(slew commands)

Thanks

Michael Moe

When in drone camera you can move using the keyboard and number pad 

• Like 1

Just to be clear, the drone camera and slew mode are two different things (and unrelated). Slew is toggled on and off with the Y key, and enables moving the aircraft wherever you want quickly. The drone is activated with the drop-down menu, and as the previous poster said, you can move the camera around using the keyboard and num pad. If you pause the flight (P) before activating the drone, the plane will remain fixed in place while you move the camera around. Changing the drone speed from the default (very slow) to a higher value lets you move the camera much faster, especially useful in exploring large areas.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2022 at 4:08 PM, Michael Moe said:

Hi,

Thanks

Michael Moe

I have exactly the same Problem - I'm not able to Control the Camera when in Slew Mode 😕

Did you ever got that fixed?

16 hours ago, Fragtality said:

I'm not able to Control the Camera when in Slew Mode

As far as I can tell, the camera cannot be moved in Slew mode.

this is another painful limitation in msfs.. one of those features that we took for granted during fsx days which sadly did not make it to msfs.. moving camera during slew mode is essential as many times I'm trying to position my plane perfectly on the parking spot when I load into the sim.. at some airports, you are loaded into a wrong position at the gate.. easiest w'd be to slew and move the camera so that you can see where the nosewheel is going at any moment.. 

the other fsx feature is ofcourse tower view and flyby view.. I know there's a painfully long workaround with drone view, but its just not the same..

another thing i miss is opening doors for default planes.. hope they roll this in during AAUs.. 

Vinod Kumar

i9 10900K 5.3 Ghz, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM, Win 10 Pro.

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.

3 hours ago, vin747 said:

moving camera during slew mode is essential as many times I'm trying to position my plane perfectly on the parking spot when I load into the sim.. at some airports, you are loaded into a wrong position at the gate..

And opening the GSX Menu and pressing 0 then 1 would be to easy? 🤔

I have figured it out myself: Yes there are no Camera Controls for the Slew Mode. MSFS changes to Drone Camera in Slew Mode (therefore also in GSX Editor) - so you have to move the Drone at not the Camera. Sure! 😑 (Yet another needless Design Decision by Asobo)

For the Record and other Users:
- Move with W,A,S,D
- Pitch Up/Down is Num 8/2
- Yaw Left/Right is Num 4/6

• Like 1

Ya like gsx is going to perfectly put my plane on the spot. Unless the airport has a custom curated gsx profile we still need to rely on slew for moving aircraft around. 

sometimes I have to move my GA plane out of the way because the ground crew is blocking me. Another puzzling feature from asobo. 

Vinod Kumar

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.

For the record, you can make very slow and very small slew movements by mapping the slew movements to the stick (or yoke) and the pedals instead of using the keyboard. Slewing with the keyboard is coarse and way too fast. You can literally slew inches at a time very slowly by assigning slew movements to the stick and pedals. 

slew translate right, left, forward, backward : assign these 4 commands to stick or yoke

slew yaw axis: assign this 1 command to pedals

Now you just slew around on the ground fast or slow, the farther you move the stick the faster you slew. Move the stick a half inch to slew very slowly and precisely. You can't do that with the keyboard (slews way too fast). 

• Like 2

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

There are keyboard shortcuts to speed up or slow down movement mode in drone cam mode. F5/ F6 if I remember correctly, not at my PC at the moment.

Intel Core i5-12600k, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 64 Gigs.

On 1/3/2023 at 8:23 AM, Fragtality said:

For the Record and other Users:
- Move with W,A,S,D
- Pitch Up/Down is Num 8/2
- Yaw Left/Right is Num 4/6

In addition to those:
 - Increase/Decrease altitude with R/F

- Return to original position behind your aircraft with Numpad 5

you guys are missing the point.. I know i can assign a joystick axis to slew and slew the aircraft very slowly.. but i want to move the camera around while slewing the aircraft.. right now camera is always stuck behind the tail.. for e.g, i may want to see the nose wheel position while slewing.. this is currently not possible in the sim.. if it is, pls show me and i owe you a beer.. 

Vinod Kumar

the only long workaround is to open the camera menu, go to drone --> fixed camera --> choose external camera 4 and then you can slew while looking at nose wheel position.. no way to map a shortcut to external camera 4, so you have to do it the long way.. not a big deal in the big scheme of things, but a minor irritant, as this was possible in fsx where you can slew in spot view while panning around..

EDIT: just tried shortcut key - Toggle fixed camera 4, but slew mode blocks any camera shortcuts.. you have to go thru the menu and choose the fixed camera u want..

Edited by vin747
  • Like 1

Vinod Kumar