Sign in to follow this  
KurtV

Fulcrum One - Quick Review after a couple months

Rather than posting the moment I pulled it out of the box as folks tend to do, I wanted to spend time with it.

I am an inactive private pilot, and been a simmer for 35 years.   So not my first rodeo.

The Fulcrum One yoke is easily the best quality flight control device I've used (well, maybe a tie with my Virpil pedals).   I have primarily been flying on an old CH stick and pro throttle since about 2000, as nothing has really improved on that.  I have owned a CH Yoke, and the old Saitek (Logi) yoke as well and those were both simply horrible, sticky weird disasters.  I've never understood why those stayed in production for so long.  

The Fulcrum yoke is SMOOTH.  Both in pitch and roll there is no detectable detent, and it gives reasonably convincing weight on both axis.  the handle is a little large, but not unlike a larger GA plane such as a Bonanza, or some Pipers.   If you're only experienced with small Cessnas, it will feel a little girthy.  The metal handle feels great, and while it seems stupid that would make a big difference, it does.  It feels like a real aircraft part.

The hat switch is a little twitchy, and I find it uncomfortable to use.   Similarly the two trim switches feel a little to big and clunky.. They all are good quality, but I think some refinement could be done here.

All of the push buttons are great.  No issues.   I wish there was a button on the front of each yoke handle in the 'trigger' position.   I feel liike that was an unfortunate oversight in the design.  But it doesn't ruin my day.  Maybe in a future version?

With no throttle you will need a solution.  I still have an old saitek usb throttle quad I'm using until I decide if I want something more sophisticated.  My CH Pro throttle isn't appropriate as it is a left hand military style.  I guess it could work if you like to flight right seat, but if you want to sim the left seat, it isn't the right solution.

The only issue I have had with the controller is that on day one I didn't get the handle seated firmly on the shaft, so some of the buttons were being flakey.   Support suggested checking and reseating and this did the trick, there have been zero other concerns.  It worked straight out of the box and I never looked back.

The desk clamp is secure and sturdy, but it is honestly probably way larger than needed.  The size of it interferes with my keyboard drawer and I had to modify it.  I have the tools to do metal work here, but not everyone does, so it would be nice if it had a smaller clamp option.  I think the huge table this thing can bite on to is way bigger than most people would ever need.   Again, perhaps a design consideration for the future, but not a killer problem.

The unit over all is heavy -- which is actually a great thing.  But be aware, if you're putting it on and removing it from your desk pretty regularly, it takes a minute.  This is not a controller you just slap down and go.   Take a minute, set it up good and right.

Great product over all and I have no regrets.  I probably now have hundreds of flight hours with it, its always just perfect.  I do still use my CH stick for shorter sessions, or for stick aircraft, but the Fulcrum is my preferred device now.

As Ferris Bueller said about the Ferrari.. "If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up..."

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

On 9/4/2022 at 9:50 PM, KurtV said:

As Ferris Bueller said about the Ferrari.. "If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up..."

Excellent quote! Thanks for the great write up, appreciate the time and effort and I'm glad you are enjoying your yoke!

Chris

• Like 1