Sign in to follow this  
Beerz

Xplane 12 Released

6 minutes ago, blingthinger said:

Please do remind us all how much your living room sim costs? Was it $18000? Am I missing some zeros?

But most people here use a living/bedroom/office sim ? So, X-plane can make as many inroads as they wish, but I would imagine 99% of the user base here using it are just home enthusiasts..... So, I am not quite sure what point you are trying to prove, other than start another war about the other sim vs this one...

1 hour ago, ryanbatc said:

I am not.  It may be due to me running at 1440p.  

Does FSR help? I saw a streamer toggling that option and it was giving him 10-20 FPS.

I hesitate to use streamers as the gauge though...streaming/encoding takes resources too. If they don't have a dedicated encoding system, I don't believe their FPS values and even then, who knows what else is running on their systems in the background.

• Upvote 1

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

I'll sit this one out for now.  I see it as build the foundation, and then build the house.. I see nothing but good vibes with XP-12

• Like 2

Tried to install the demo but it hung or stalled. Now I can get it to resume and I can even delete the X-Plane folder. How do you uninstall it so you can start again? Any ideas?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

Tried to install the demo but it hung or stalled. Now I can get it to resume and I can even delete the X-Plane folder. How do you uninstall it so you can start again? Any ideas?

Delete the X-Plane folder where you had it installed.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

A word of caution--I've asked the moderation staff to keep a close eye on this forum during the XP12 rollout, and we are not going to be at all tolerant of personal attacks and insults in these discussions.

If you can't disagree with someone else's opinion without making it personal, you'd be well-advised to keep to yourself.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Ah, I was wondering when this thread would start to turn sour. Let's keep calm and enjoy what XP 12 has to offer. And if you don't enjoy it, then at the very least stay civilized.

Clearly XP 12 needs a lot more work. There really is no need for people getting annoyed about which sim they prefer or to be negative about XP 12's existence. Both sims have pros and cons. XP 12 looks great in certain scenarios and from certain angles/perspectives (like trees, water, snow, runway textures......and an easy replay mode and great camera angles) but clearly needs tonnes of work in lots of other graphical areas such as the clouds, lighting (though much improved), autogen and ground textures (my pet peeve). This is early access so some of this will likely be much improved going forward.

What I personally find exciting about XP 12 is that the SDK is fully open to third parties to bring out better weather and ground addons. Yes, it's a pity that it is necessary in order to make the sim look great, but at the same time it will be exciting to see what developers come up with. So to summarize, my first impressions are mixed but leaning on the side of positive. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, 2reds2whites said:

although I think there needs to be a shift in attitude towards ground scenery. Relying on the installation of third party ortho doesn't seem to be a reasonable expectation in the current market. That's a real technical challenge however.

From what I read, that the focus on the ground texturing was limited to the pavements and airports and all of the ground texture along with the Object assets that didn't make in to this beta run. So I think there is more to come there.

While some having no desire for " Relying on the installation of third party ortho doesn't seem to be a reasonable expectation in the current market" and yet people are still doing it. It is ironic to me that this same market who enjoys the other sim wants to see every developer make scenery for it with so much out of the box. It's one thing to be against installing addons but not when you don't have a problem doing it in the other. Installing Orthos should not preclude you from enjoying the sim regardless and whether you do it or not. The point of X Plane 12 is the improve flying experience.

• Like 2

There's another element to the lighting question: monitors. Monitors decay with time. Colors and brightness fade. People tweak their settings in the hardware and then forget them. Certainly trying to make things better, but obviously not all graphics-intensive programs are going to follow the same color rendering rules.

Level D sims, for obvious reasons, use far more impressive projection equipment in well-controlled lighting environments. In other words, LR is also telling us to upgrade monitors in addition to every other major component in the box! It will be interesting to see what HDR brings in the future, but that's a long ways away for a lot of reasons.

• Like 1

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

1 hour ago, Colonel X said:

Delete the X-Plane folder where you had it installed.

Thanks. Actually the old drive where I had XP installed connectors were playing up. Dunked them in Isopropyl Alcohol and all is good. Installing now..EDIT Spoke too soon, "Invalid Argument" error and it's quit. Are LR in league with the UK Government? 

2nd Edit. It's now installed. Early days. First Impressions are that it's a bit better than XP11 and fps is good. Nothing has bowled me over in amazement though..

Edited by jarmstro

Is there a real weather mode?  I only see presets in the wx screen.  I'm only in the demo though.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

OK, having tried it, my view is that the visuals are still not up to modern standards sadly, and that I will not be purchasing it for now. I've no doubt the flight model is sublime. I'm sure that during the beta process things will improve but I'm not going to pay to be part of it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Baber20 said:

The lighting looks better and more realistic with a higher dynamic range in colors as compared to MSFS. This in itself is a huge accomplishment from the Laminar team. They really mastered the photometric data.

I'm really glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that because I would have ruined my PC lol

• Like 4

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

17 hours ago, fogboundturtle said:

you would expect higher frame in XP12 with a system like yours.

The framerates I'm getting, even those 30 FPS with 19 AI aircraft far exceed my expectations!

16 hours ago, Matchstick said:

First XP12 plane is out today as well the VSkyLabs Maule M-7-235B - they did say last week they were going to release it the same day XP12 came out and so they did.

VSKYLABS also released updated versions of all their other products for XP12.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

1 hour ago, ryanbatc said:

Is there a real weather mode?  I only see presets in the wx screen.  I'm only in the demo though.

Yes in the weather settings dropdown where you set personal or downloaded. Tried a little while ago and seemed to match what I have.. 

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders