Sign in to follow this  
Pastaiolo

XP12: the good, the bad, the ugly

4 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

this all sliders to the right. Max graphic settings except for MSAA , it's at 4x

Ok then this must be a bug because in Xplane 11 the ground scenery did cast shadows. Can other xp12 users confirm this ? 

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

1 minute ago, Baber20 said:

Ok then this must be a bug because in Xplane 11 the ground scenery did cast shadows. Can other xp12 users confirm this ? 

Confirmed, no shadows here on autogen or trees with all settings high/maxed.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

10 minutes ago, Baber20 said:

Ok this is a huge feature missing/bugged. Time to file a bug report then. Let's get this fixed.

I agree. It's pretty barebone right now

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

1 hour ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Confirmed, no shadows here on autogen or trees with all settings high/maxed.

Well.....

My shadows and etc, seem fine.

They just tend to only fade in when you are right on top of something.

But to my recollection, XP was always like that, I assume to save FPS

5SBLKa.jpg

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

6 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I am sure this has been debunked here before a thousand times. 

https://www.healthline.com/health/human-eye-fps#how-vision-works

The words "some" and "may be" are used throughout that article. Which means that established experimential results have not been produced yet. So, it is a safe goal that given a 65 FPS frame rate in un-busy scenery processing and a 20 FPS in busy scenery processing situations that the average will be better than TV or motion picture and if the transition between max FPS and minimum FPS is smooth the flight experience will be acceptable. I can see in 1st Person Shooters where there are a lot of subtle, fast moving visuals going on how higher frames, especially if humans really can process them would be a game advantage though. But in flightsim our most critical is finding a runway at range on a visual approach and reading an MFD, GTN, or GNS screen details. Combat sims would be advantaged by the higher frames IF humans really can process up to 80 FPS. I would like to see solid experimentation in this area.

7 hours ago, fogboundturtle said:

I know this is work in progress. but when I look at this screenshot I just took. it's hard to imagine this is game/simulator that was made in 20222. I am not trying to be mean or anything but no amount of ortho can fix this. Which mean, it will take an insane amount of disk space and mod to correct this. If you ask me what is the worst part of Xplane 12, this is it.  it's really hard to look at this and think this is Vancouver. 

qJWhfKI.jpg

Well, even in XP 11 New York City looks like New York City and DC looks like DC. I flew into KCPK in the area I was stationed for 6 years, Tidewater, VA and Norfolk, VA Beach etc. were passable but the lack of CVNs, CGs, and DDGs at the Base piers was strange.  My own little capitol city, Harrisburg, PA was recognizeable but probably only due to the setting of the Susquehanna and Blue Mountain etc. Of course, I have xAmerica loades which helps.

1 hour ago, Gary1124 said:

Well, even in XP 11 New York City looks like New York City and DC looks like DC. I flew into KCPK in the area I was stationed for 6 years, Tidewater, VA and Norfolk, VA Beach etc. were passable but the lack of CVNs, CGs, and DDGs at the Base piers was strange.  My own little capitol city, Harrisburg, PA was recognizeable but probably only due to the setting of the Susquehanna and Blue Mountain etc. Of course, I have xAmerica loades which helps.

That picture from XP 12 from @fogboundturtle  looks nothing like Vancouver. I say this as a past resident of Vancouver. It’s completely unrecognizable.

i only know it’s Vancouver because @fogboundturtle said so. If you showed me that picture from XP 12 and I didn’t know it was Vancouver, I would have never guess it was a picture of Vancouver in the first place.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 4

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

I believe a huge scenery update is coming next, so let’s wait until this happened before judging.

how is Vancouver looking in xp11? I would expect it to be similar, after the next update.

51 minutes ago, soaring_penguin said:

I believe a huge scenery update is coming next, so let’s wait until this happened before judging.

Doubt that. XP12 was about weather. XP13 will be scenery, AI driven!

If we are lucky they might improve the roads, coastlines and rivers. 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

2 hours ago, soaring_penguin said:

how is Vancouver looking in xp11? I would expect it to be similar, after the next update.

I think it's safe to assume they will be doing something about scenery now considering the negative feedback they're getting for that. But I agree with @strider1 that the "huge" update is unrealistic. I don't believe it will come "during the XP12 run" but maybe with XP13, so it's probably years away - and without Ortho it's always going to be a 2nd place no matter how large the update. It will still only be a plausible world, one that looks more like Cities: Skylines than the real world.

• Like 2

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

Pine trees are nice , but wrong tree color in mumbai 🙂 , the trees should be greener and not the brown ones

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

3 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

That picture from XP 12 from @fogboundturtle  looks nothing like Vancouver. I say this as a past resident of Vancouver. It’s completely unrecognizable.

i only know it’s Vancouver because @fogboundturtle said so. If you showed me that picture from XP 12 and I didn’t know it was Vancouver, I would have never guess it was a picture of Vancouver in the first place.

Well, in XP 11, without xAmerica, I wouldn't even have the famous landmark on the KMDT Runway 31 approach. You know, the one that almost lit us all here up in '78.

8 hours ago, Gary1124 said:

I would like to see solid experimentation in this area.

If I run my sim(s) at 30 or 60 or 90, there is clear difference between 30 and 60. Not so much between 60-90 but it is still there. I don’t need fancy articles to tell me that. And using TrackIR, this helps massive amounts.