Sign in to follow this  
Pastaiolo

XP12: the good, the bad, the ugly

On 9/13/2022 at 11:06 AM, Humpty said:

I feel LR should at least have trees with collision , this would be a great effect for heli riders trying to land in forest areas. 

I agree. Ground handling and emergencies are part of the flight environment. With pass-through objects people get sloppy on the ground. LR has it that way to boast performance but I believe they should code for object collision and have it switcheable either way if the user thinks his PC is up to it. It would be worth a fatter file.

12 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

For functionality and security reasons though.  Eventually, older versions of Windows will stop receiving security updates.  You don't want to be stuck on an older version of Windows without security updates.  In addition, for many people, upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11 is freehttps://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-upgrade-to-windows-11-for-free.  Upgrading to XP 12 is not free.

I think you are making an insincere point, IMO.

Some people are running PCs on XP or 7 just to maintain compatability with favorite games. I considered installing XP on my huge D drive just to run CFS 2 and CFS 3.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, flying_carpet said:

But only if they come from LR. Not if they come from MS/Windows ... right?

Again, you are just desperately deflecting because you simply can't handle criticism of X-Plane. This is the X-Plane section, talking about an X-Plane issue. Not about Microsoft, Apple or the price of tea in China. 

You example makes no sense either, so an operating system from a billion dollar company has some nagware, that means it's okay to have it in a completely unrelated flight simulator, case closed? 

Edited by Sethos
  • Like 3

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

12 hours ago, Sethos said:

Again, you are just desperately deflecting because you simply can't handle criticism of X-Plane. This is the X-Plane section, talking about an X-Plane issue. Not about Microsoft, Apple or the price of tea in China. 

You example makes no sense either, so an operating system from a billion dollar company has some nagware, that means it's okay to have it in a completely unrelated flight simulator, case closed? 

You're kidding, right? Case closed.

Watch my YT-channel: https://www.youtube.com/@flyingcarpet1340/

Customer of X-Plane, Aerofly, Flightgear, MSFS.

15 hours ago, Sethos said:

Nag-ware is called nagware for a reason, and is equally annoying no matter where it comes from.

Its not called Windows/MS nagware or even XP11 nagware, and few if any want any of it in their faces, especially when they did not knowingly acquiesce to it when first purchasing a product.

Its the reason people instantly sought workarounds, when Youtube abruptly started running ads. (regardless of the financials of that decision)

Its why the first ads in movie theatres were roundly booed, and to this day I put on my headphones and look down until they are over. I paid cash money for a movie I wanted to see, not to be a captive audience for whatever else.

I can almost guarantee that if enough people find them annoying (and probably even if they do not) some bored programmer will come up with some way to disable them with extreme prejudice, though even once they are gone, the bad taste will remain.

In other words, I understand what you are saying, even if others find it expedient to muddy the waters.

EDIT: (Heck, how many of us are using industrial strength ad-blockers on this selfsame forum, even as we speak?)

Edited by HiFlyer

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Me solved the problem right at the root level !!!  MFS is UNINSTALLED FOR GOOD !!! 🤣

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

Me solved the problem right at the root level !!!  MFS is UNINSTALLED FOR GOOD !!! 🤣

Ho DARE you???? 😅🤣 How many HD's (or even server farms) with backups of your gazillions of (former) flight sims do you have? 😁

Watch my YT-channel: https://www.youtube.com/@flyingcarpet1340/

Customer of X-Plane, Aerofly, Flightgear, MSFS.

4 minutes ago, Baber20 said:

Is it weird that I am still keeping msfs installed just so I can appreciate Xplane 12 even more? I am not crazy am I ?

🤣

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

25 minutes ago, Baber20 said:

still keeping msfs installed just so I can appreciate Xplane 12 even more?

me too,  keeping XP12 installed as a fall back interim solution just for the few hours when MSFS is grounded by a Microsoft DRM quirk resulting in "Insert game disk or Quit". fortunately that got resolved over night.

Edited by turbomax
  • Like 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

Still really enjoy the natural lighting. I even tried installing ReShade and I simply couldn't do anything that I genuinely felt improved the look. Well done LR. 

1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

16 minutes ago, Sethos said:

Still really enjoy the natural lighting. I even tried installing ReShade and I simply couldn't do anything that I genuinely felt improved the look. Well done LR. 

1.jpg

What’s the Caribbean look like? Or a nice sunny place? 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Gary1124 said:

Some people are running PCs on XP or 7 just to maintain compatability with favorite games. I considered installing XP on my huge D drive just to run CFS 2 and CFS 3.

I was about to suggest switching to Linux to play any old game you want, but Microsoft's flight sims are one of the few exceptions where compatibility is really hit and miss. FSX, for instance, does not run at all thanks to some really exotic library used for rendering the user interface.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

7 minutes ago, Bjoern said:

FSX, for instance, does not run at all thanks to some really exotic library

ouch, that must be tough.

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.