Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

How save a flight with variable weather?

I would like to save the PC12 in a lightly loaded state, but still have the ability to adjust the weather after loading this flight.

For some reason, the weather applet is blanked out whenever I attempt to save/reload such a situation..

Is there something I am missing?

Bert

no, i dont think that is possible......you are stuck with fixed weather on a save.

I've completely given up on saved flights, that aspect is a complete and utter buggy mess for me.

In p3d I would just save each flight once parked up, then reload with current weather when I wanted to pick that aircraft up. Never been able to do that in MSFS...

... the only thing you could do is edit the default load in the aircraft.cfg (assuming that's available)...

G

• Like 1

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

2 hours ago, Gazzareth said:

the only thing you could do is edit the default load in the aircraft.cfg (assuming that's available)...

And that is the problem with the Carenado encrypted aircraft files... so I am looking for a way around that limitation..

No luck thus far.. 😟

Bert

26 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

And that is the problem with the Carenado encrypted aircraft files... so I am looking for a way around that limitation..

No luck thus far.. 😟

Sorry - wasn't sure if the aircraft.cfg was encrypted - sure that was being changed for SU10 though, not sure if MP aircraft are going to have it available!?!

G

Edited by Gazzareth

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

No luck thus far.. 😟

I recently re-purchased 2 aircraft thru Orbx that were originally purchased thru the MSStore because of not being able to edit the weight/balance and the airport services required. 

The inability to load a saved flight and not change the weather/time to real world is very annoying. I feel your pain. 

Unless an aircraft is not available otherwise, I will not be buying any more thru the Store.

Edited by hs118
  • Like 3

Hi Bert, perhaps I am not picking up correctly in what you are trying to do but I can save a custom weather flight and then reload it from the pc by selecting it from a drop down list under the WEATHER heading in the popup WEATHER window. I still have options to amend it further if I so desire.

I right click on the blue square wind and cloud icons under WEATHER. This then activates a 'Save' option amongst the other small icons and I can then give it a dedicated name and save it to 'This pc' after changing the weather to an appropriate metar for the airports I am using. I can save a dedicated .flt for my arrival and select it from the dropdown at an appropriate distance out.

My apologies if you already know all this and are looking to achieve something else.

Regards...Kenny.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kenny584 said:

I right click on the blue square wind and cloud icons under WEATHER.

Regards...Kenny.

Kenny,

Thanks for adding this information for all monitoring the thread. 

For me, this method is more of a workaround, essentially just creating another saved flight. I believe Bert (and, for sure, myself) would prefer the capability we had in older sims to create a saved flight with our aircraft of choice pre-positioned, with time/wx settings that would become real world upon loading the flight. In the older sim, there was no need to keep saving additional flights.

Thanks again for providing your assistance.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2022 at 12:15 AM, Bert Pieke said:

For some reason, the weather applet is blanked out whenever I attempt to save/reload such a situation..

Hi Bert.

You still (after 2 yrs...ahem) need to edit the saved .Flt file to get the weather options menu "active" in the sim while loading a saved flight.  You need to strip out the parameters in the [Weather] section and replace with your custom wx preset.

Here's an example of a saved flight with my custom preset wx that I've created for the encrypted Longitude at TEB:

[Weather]
UseWeatherFile=True
UseLiveWeather=False
WeatherCanBeLive=True
WeatherPresetFile=C:\Users\K\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\Weather\Presets\WeatherPresets\Custom Rain TEB.WPR

Your saved flights are stored in the AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState folder and the custom wx presets are stored in  AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\Weather\Presets

When you load your saved flight in the world map, select custom for weather with your preset and date/time/saved conditions should be displayed in the sim.  If not, after your flight loads you can go to weather handle bar and select your saved preset.

Hope it makes sense and helps.

Edit:  @hs118

I believe that the .Flt will save all of the current parameters of your AC state and by using my template, hopefully will load the time and wx when booting your saved flight(s).  

Edited by irocx
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Regards, Kendall

@irocx Thanks for the technique that you provided. Still not quite as "easy" as just loading a flight, it does accomplish the goal of having a custom aircraft location with real world time/weather.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2022 at 8:27 PM, irocx said:

Hi Bert.

You still (after 2 yrs...ahem) need to edit the saved .Flt file to get the weather options menu "active" in the sim while loading a saved flight.  You need to strip out the parameters in the [Weather] section and replace with your custom wx preset.

Here's an example of a saved flight with my custom preset wx that I've created for the encrypted Longitude at TEB:

[Weather]
UseWeatherFile=True
UseLiveWeather=False
WeatherCanBeLive=True
WeatherPresetFile=C:\Users\K\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\Weather\Presets\WeatherPresets\Custom Rain TEB.WPR

THANKS!  That did the trick... here is what I pasted into a saved FLT file:

[Weather]
UseWeatherFile=True
UseLiveWeather=False
WeatherCanBeLive=True
WeatherPresetFile=.\WeatherPresets\Atmospheric.WPR

The only thing is that the Toolbar does not appear when the flight is loaded.. for some reason it takes a little while for it to appear. After that, all is good and I can make the changes!

Thanks again!  Now I have a saved custom loadout for the PC12 with just two pilots and no pax, and I can still turn off the ground wind layer that tends to pull the aircraft off the runway when taking off  🙂

• Like 1

Bert

On 9/13/2022 at 7:30 PM, hs118 said:

......Still not quite as "easy" as just loading a flight, it does accomplish the goal of having a custom aircraft location with real world time/weather.

Thanks again.

Agreed, It still takes some fiddling.  Hopefully, Asobo recognizes the value of saving/loading flights and makes some changes. 

5 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

....The only thing is that the Toolbar does not appear when the flight is loaded.. for some reason it takes a little while for it to appear. After that, all is good and I can make the changes!

......and I can still turn off the ground wind layer that tends to pull the aircraft off the runway when taking off  🙂

The only way I was really able to get the wx. file to load consistently was by using the full, absolute path to the wx preset file in the .flt file.   Might make a difference in your situation?

Admittedly, I still don't use saved flights on a regular basis because of the many (remaining) shortcomings. 

For example,  in the Longitude it will save the complete, cold state of the AC after previous shutdown, but when loading the saved flight, the aural warnings in the dakfly mod won't work correctly.  I'm assuming this is hierarchy issue at load - which hopefully will be resolved with SU10,  as I've read the content.xml will no longer be in use.

Anyway, glad it has helped you guys to some extent.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Regards, Kendall