Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

Is FSX killing of flight simulation

Guest dwaohio

Is FSX killing the hobby of flight simulation. I say yes it is. FSX is taking me more time to tweak than to fly. Everytime I addon a third party addon I have to start the tweak process all over again. Developers are trying their own tweaks to make there product work with good frame rate but that may conflict with another addon, so back to the tweaking. I also notice that developer are not coming out with the product that they did with previous version. After 6 months that FS9 was out it was hard to find anything new for FS8. FSX has been out for more than 6 months you still find most of the products being developed for FS9 and FSX/FS9. Why is that because it is easier for developers to develope new products for FS9 than FSX. If they do develope something for FSX the frame rate hurts them. FSX on the average with a clean install runs between 10 and 20 frames per second. You add a addon to it that is any good the FPS drop to 5 to 10. Than the developer get complaints why does there product not run right. Why should the developer have to deal with that, so I assume they go back to FS9 and develope for it. SP1 did help a little but still it was not the magic pill we all hoped for. Some of us traded FPS for blurrie graphics. The price of FSX addon is going up and who can afford that when we keep on having to buy hardware to run FSX. In conclusion I wonder how many simmers the comunity lost with the release of FSX. Also how many new simmers we did not add on this version.

>In conclusion I wonder how many simmers the comunity lost with>the release of FSX. Also how many new simmers we did not add>on this version.I think you'll find that they gained many more than they lost. And, FWIW, I'm having a great time with FSX and I use several add-ons with no noticeable performance hit on a P4 3.4 system.You are entitled to your opinion even if it's way off base.I take it you are one of those who will give up the sim?Just MHO,VicVisit the Virtual Pilot's Centerwww.flightadventures.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Proud SupporterRadar Contact Supporter: http://www.jdtllc.com/

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I guess we'll never know how many. If we lost them, we won't hear from them; if they were never here... wellI'm sorry to read another post that just begs the flamers to come back out of the woodwork.I've been enjoying FSX on my P4 3.2 computer since I got it last October. I find that I have actually tweaked less with FSX than I did with FS9 because I learned after hours of tweaking in FS9 that most tweaks didn't do anything and the tweaking was becoming pathologically obsessive. So I have pretty much left most things alone unless the suggestions have come from Mr. Taylor or some other reliable source. I just enjoy flying in my little simulated world now.Cheers,Paul <--- Edit to sign my name ;-)

Guest Funky D

FSX isn't killing this hobby... it's users are.

Actually, I'm aware of a bunch of simmers who are happy with FSX and new to the rolls. They aren't much into the modding or the community though, they just like to fly. They were happy with the default planes, and were ecstatic when I loaded some more planes for them and turned them on to Ultimate Terrain.If you aren't happy with FSX, go back to FS9. There's still tons of development going on for it (though not much payware any more though since people are demanding new FSX stuff), and a huge contingent of people still using it while they wait for computer technology to catch up.Do I think it's killing flight simulation? Nope, I'm seeing huge growth and interest around here.And no, I don't spend a whole lot of time tweaking. I pretty much know what my computers are capable of, set the sliders accordingly, and go flying. I'm spending most of my non-flying time upgrading planes from FS9, loading new FSX planes, and enjoying Ultimate Terrain/X. Well, actually, the enjoyment of Ultimate Terrain/X is done during my flying time.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

The OP exagerates the importance of playing this entertainment title. You (OP) are asking for the community to indulge in melodrama.Either enjoy your entertainment titles or choose different ones and enjoy them!If you can't enjoy FSX, please hush so others can.Best,Bob

>>>In conclusion I wonder how many simmers the comunity lost>with>>the release of FSX. Also how many new simmers we did not>add>>on this version.>>>I think you'll find that they gained many more than they lost.>And, FWIW, I'm having a great time with FSX and I use several>add-ons with no noticeable performance hit on a P4 3.4>system.>>You are entitled to your opinion even if it's way off base.>>I take it you are one of those who will give up the sim?>>Just MHO,>>Vic>>>Visit the Virtual Pilot's Center>www.flightadventures.com>>http://www.hifisim.com/>Active Sky V6 Proud Supporter>Radar Contact Supporter: http://www.jdtllc.com/What add-ons are you using?

You know why, because 4 years after FS9 was released, ONLY JUST NOW is it just reaching it's golden age.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

I think FSX has given more life to flight simulation. There aren't that many people who want to start flying in a few years old simulator... They want new stuff. FSX is new. FSX is up to date and will be even more so after the DX10 patch. FS9 is awesome for those who have invested a lot in it, but out of the box (for new simmers) FSX clearly is A LOT more interesting. Instead of thanking MS/Aces for giving us yet another version of FS, you are whining they are KILLING this hobby by doing that... Weird thinking. Also don't forget not everyone tweaks! There are LOTS of people who install the game and start flying, period. Maybe even more than there are tweakers! Not everyone visits Avsim and moans about FSX: thousands of people are just PLAYING it. I'm sure the new FSX versions (missions and so on) attracted a lot of new players who might turn into simmers one day. I have my share of problems with FSX but I wouldn't go back to FS9 ever. I see no reason why I should. You apparently do, so... have fun with it! ;) Apart from this all: all in all I think every new version of FS brings in new simmers! EVERY new version will make people think that there MUST be something cool about flying on a pc... You say simmers are lost due to FSX. Well, I think that's wrong thinking: some (or a lot) simmers are staying with FS9, which does NOT mean they are lost for simming! They just stay with the old version! No losses there at all! I can't remember having heard of a simmer who went from FS9 to FSX, got disappointed and stopped simming altogether... well, maybe you are the first one.

Guest wayupthere

To OP,You are certainly entitled to your own opinion although It being way off, and as long as you speak for yourself and not the comunity in general.FSX is not killing the hobby, its the people that create bash-fest topics and moan/groan/b*tch about how god-awful-terrible and what not FSX is.Granted its not perfect (yet), but you name me one version of FS that hasn't had its share of problems in one way or another. To me and many other at first FSX seemed like a dud, but has now definatly proven that is does have potential.Look its very easy, if you dont like FSX. You have several options, in order:1: Stop moaning/groaning and b*tching about it and have fun using FS9, and dont create potential FSX bashfest threads like this one.2: Invest in new hardware, that will do the trick if your out-dated system (why did you not post your system specs so people can possibly help you in MAKING it work) can't handle it.3: Ask for help with your setup as in point 2.3: If you don't like either of the three options mentioned above, quit the hobby altogether, it saves this forum another bash-fest, and keeps the rest of us that do enjoy FS9/FSX happy by not having to see all these types of bash-posts.

Guest SteveD

Posts like this and others of its ilk are certainly killing off my desire to actively participate in the flight sim 'community'.

I don't think it killed flightsimulation. It merely fragmented us. I waited full of anticipation and joy for this new release and personaly I was dissapointed by it. Which means that for the way I use a flightsimulator (type of flying, area I fly in, aircraft I use, hardware I have) FS-X is not suitabe. It all boils down to personal taste.In a reaction to my dissapointment I returmed to FS-9 but also because I was in a tweaking mood (FS-X does that to you ;) ) I tried out X-Plane 8 and found out that I could do some nice things in X-Plane that I can't do in the FS series. So at this point in time I shelved FS-X (still following the forum to see if they found the magic bullet and to keep informed of the latest patch results). I fly FS-9 in the same old trusted way with add-ons I bought earlier and I discover X-Plane and even buy some add-ons for this new beast.Before we had FS-X the FS world was at its height. FS-9 was the biggest most popular most 3rd party supported program ever. FS-X robbed FS-9 of its shine and took large part of the userbase with it. My gues is that the combined market share of FS-9 and FS-X is roughly equal to that of FS-9 before the rift.To me the worst part of FS-X is that its a moving target. We already have FS-X RTM and FS-X SP1 but in the future we will have FS-X DX10 with all new features and maybe an improved framrate (again). The DX10 release will shatter the FS-X market into 2 parts. If you stay in the FS world we will have 3 groups with different experiences. We have FS-9, FS-X SP1 and FS-X DX10 (and even a group 4 that contains Larry and other FS-X RTM users ;) ). Wheras before FS-X we talked in 1 large group with the same software, add-ons and problems now we are 3-4 groups with different experiences and to make matters worst we are trying to convert others to join our group.FS-X destroyed the community that we build around FS9 and somedays I realy miss that old community but its the price we have to pay for the progress of our hobby.

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg

Guest Len

To the OP: I'm sorry that you came and posted a gentlemanly post and had some of the rhetoric thrown at you about shutting up etc. So much for open discussion. I would suggest to the mods on this board it cuts both ways. Either you crack down on the rude responses that the OP has had to put up with or you put your 'moding' to rest and let everything go. I thought there was supposed to be a crackdown on these sorts of rude responses.Now to the substance of this post. Your observations are in part correct. When FSX was first released and several months thereafter there was a substantial reaction along the lines you mentioned. I would do a search and find out where those debates went.I'm one who has benefited from SP1. Enough to alow me to get some addons such ActiveSky X and XGraphics, MyTrafficX and Ultimate Terraiin X. I likely will only be able to get fps friendly planes. I'm sorry that, for example, LDS 767 would basically crush what little overhead I have left after the above mentioned addons. It's ok, I'm still using it regularly for FS9. I'm waiting in anticipation for Dreamfleet's Airbus, as I'm sure they'll program with the latest methods and if it gives me enough headroom (determined by the purchasers) it will be the first addon commercial plane I'll buy.So it's all about expectations at this point. FSX can meet certain expectations and others will have to be left to fulfilling those in FS9 (which I use for mainly commercial flying - heavies, high AI%, etc.) or, upgrade/future version of fs.