Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Passing of Queen Elizabeth II - God Bless The Queen

1 hour ago, dave2013 said:

I've been reading through the posts in this discussion and it sounds to me like some of you are celebrating or waxing nostalgic about a monarchy.  A monarchy, which is a dictatorial, repressive form of government.

The very reason this topic is allowed is because it’s not political. It was started by a moderator to prove my point. I fail to understand how a monarch can be dictatorial since they have no power other than to accept the resignation of the outgoing PM and request the leader of the largest party to form a new government.

You couldn’t be further from the truth with your ill-informed comments.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I was not going to get involved in this but i've kind of had enough of the vitreolic comments on fb and other sites including here on the british monarchy.

I'm not huge royalist by any manner, but quite frankly its none of these peoples business what we do in this country ,in how we celebrate or mourn our royalty.

I happened to note that the vast majority of these worldwide comments come from a certain few US states.

Perhaps they should stick to their own country and stay out of our business it's not like we care what they think anyway.

I would love to put what i really think, but that would only get me band and i would also be stooping to their very low level

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Pete Little

@dave2013 your last post was hidden but contained this…

”This will be my last comment on the matter.”

Hallelujah! 😁

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

40 minutes ago, dave2013 said:

Of course I know that the *modern* monarchy doesn't have the same powers it did 200 years ago

That's the point. Things have changed since George III. What is being celebrated today is this monarchy and this monarch.

This might be my last comment on the matter but I can't guarantee it.

Edited by dmwalker
  • Like 2

Dugald Walker

3 hours ago, BrianT said:

Her reign, is what it's called, the words to the national anthem say "long to reign over us" so not sure why that should be an issue for you, unless it's just to be argumentative. 
Many people in the world let alone the UK are indeed celebrating her life and her reign and are right to be nostalgic about the monarchy. A monarchy I should add which has no hold over govenment whatsoever.
Maybe you would like to explain how they're dictatorial?
and as regarding fawning over her/them, if thats what people want to do why shouldn't they? you are not the arbiter of what people should and shouldn't do

If you like the royals great. If you don't thats fine as well, neither should be telling the other what they should or shouldn't do

A simple search gives this: 

NOUN
  1. the period of rule of a monarch:

So what else would you call it?

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

OK, we're square into politics, so I'm closing this now.

• Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I’ve hidden the single post that drifted into politics and reopened the topic. I trust those who watched the state funeral and its magnificent ceremony felt it was a fitting tribute to our late Queen.

This country does ceremony like no other. Those images will stay with me for ever. God Save The King. 

• Like 6

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I agree with you Ray.  I mentioned in an earlier post here that the British do pomp and pageantry and ceremony like no other nation on earth.  I love to watch it.  From the mess boy in the mess hall marching up to the table with a towel draped over his arm and stomping his foot and asking if you wanted coffee or tea to massed pipers playing 'Scotland the Brave' to the Queen's Scot Guards toe dancing across crossed swords and toes never touching steel to Royal funerals and coronations.  They can't be matched.

Noel

Edited by birdguy
  • Like 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Noel, I guess you had to get up in the middle of the night. Worth it eh? The mass bagpipes was a sight and sound to behold.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

No I didn't Ray.  But I've seen various parts at various times before, mostly on television.   I remember the Princess Dianne and Charles wedding.  The Edinburgh Tatoo is a much watch for me too.  I have seen one live at the Highland Festival in Estes Park Colorado performed by the college students from Halifax NS.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Watching the whole ceremony that started here at 5 AM. The precision, pageantry, and emotion have made this a fitting and beautiful sendoff for Her Majesty. Well done to the U.K. for the flawless orchestration of this astounding event. Gotta' say I was very proud seeing the RCMP leading the way.

Edited by Roger Ramjet
  • Like 3

Noel, I remember their wedding at St Paul’s 41 years ago. A few years ago I visited friends in London and sat on those steps made so famous by their wedding.

Mixed feelings for Prince William and Kate who married in Westminster Abbey 11 years ago and attended the funeral of his grandmother today.

The service at St George’s Chapel, Windsor has just ended. Ceremony just as superb. You have to feel for her four adult children who have walked miles today in full uniform. Fortunately the temps were reasonable around 17°C (63°F).

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I don't know why, Ray, but I feel sort of a kinship to Scotland.  My heritage is Belgian and Norwegian...Norwegian being my father's side.

I sometimes wonder if my feeling of kinship to Scotland is because one of my Viking ancestors took a Scottish lass back to the Norseland after one of their forays south.  Of course the Vikings ruled parts of Scotland for almost 100 years.  There must have been many voyages between Norway and Scotland during tat period.

My stentavla (Norwegian family tree) only goes back to the 1500s, long after the Norman conquest.

Noel

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

The service at St George’s Chapel, Windsor has just ended. Ceremony just as superb. You have to feel for her four adult children who have walked miles today in full uniform. Fortunately the temps were reasonable around 17°C (63°F).

That was a very long walk, was it not! I got tired even though I was sitting here at my desk and watching live streamed coverage from ABC on my computer. I don't have Dish installed yet.

I had no idea that the coffin would descend into the crypt, so that was a huge surprise! I was also taken aback when I noticed that there is a wall and doorway separating the forecourt from the very VIPs, choir and clergy. Those folks in the forecourt couldn't see anything! 😲

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

1 hour ago, Roger Ramjet said:

Gotta' say I was very proud seeing the RCMP leading the way.

Very dignified I thought.

• Like 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1.