Sign in to follow this  
Drumcode

My TIR broke, what now? TIR or Tobii?

I’m nearly in tears, my Track IR finally gave up after 10 years or so of service. Is anyone using this new Tobii system that potentially used TIR before? Thoughts? 

Need to pull the trigger asap on either one, as there’s no flying without it. 

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

I just saw Filbert’s review on Tobii and I think I’m sold. I love TIR as it served me well, but I am done with the wires attached to my headphones.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

There is a special 20% discount on the Tobii eye tracker- ends on the 12th I think.  It was not having to wear anything on my head that sold me.

• Like 1

7800X3D  + RTX 4080 + 32GB DDR5

I just got tobii this week! Frankly It was a rough start, but tobii support was superb! They  have reached out to help  to fiedx my problem. I have spend a day try to figure out settings that would work for me. And now I absolutely love it.  

One of the big advantages tobii works great  bright light condition. It was my problem for years with TrackIR and now it solved

• Upvote 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

5 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

I just got tobii this week! Frankly It was a rough start, but tobii support was superb! They  have reached out to help  to fiedx my problem. I have spend a day try to figure out settings that would work for me. And now I absolutely love it.  

One of the big advantages tobii works great  bright light condition. It was my problem for years with TrackIR and now it solved

Is Tobii as smooth tracking as TIR?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

35 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

One of the big advantages tobii works great  bright light condition.

How does it work at night in a dark room?

Jacek G.

1 hour ago, scotchegg said:

Yes but it takes some to tweak all settings

Edited by sd_flyer

45 minutes ago, Drumcode said:

I'm not sure I always have light in my room LOL

1 hour ago, scotchegg said:

It takes a while to find the settings you are comfortable with - the huge difference to TIR is the eye tracking - I needed to dial that right down,

50 minutes ago, Drumcode said:

It works just fine

Another video I would recommend is SimHanger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3Y4eySt3Yk

Edited by TonyD

7800X3D  + RTX 4080 + 32GB DDR5

3 hours ago, SuperKaro2014 said:

Sie könnten auch die Lösung von Grass Monkey in Betracht ziehen. Erschwinglich, keine Kabel und super einfach zu bedienen.

Ich habe meinen jetzt seit fast einem Jahr und er ist super.

Dreams of Wings hat ein schönes Video gemacht, als sein TIR kürzlich brach 😉

https://youtu.be/HihxGMaGppA

This looks very good. Almost bought it.
What exactly is the difference between 60 and 240 Hz?

I owned TIR for years, but never really got it to work well for me, too jerky, spent hours following youtube set up videos, but never got it working to my satisfaction.

I then bought a Tobii, found it better than TIR, but still not great - to be fair, I'm using it on a 65 inch screen, and sitting quite close to it - Tobii say "The Tobii Eye Tracker  can deliver eye tracking data for screens up to 27 inches with a 16:9 aspect ratio. It also runs with larger screen sizes, but with reduced coverage and less accuracy in the corners."

I know other sim users have had success with much larger monitors, but not me, although it's better than TIR.

Yesterday I decided to try Smoothtrack, an Android and Iphone based app, which uses the forward camera on your phone to track head movements. I would say of the 3, I'm getting the best results with it. It costs about £10/$15 and works with a piece of free software you put on your PC called Opentrack (available on GitHub), Opentrack talks to the phone app via wifi, and lets you adjust the different axis's via its interface.

You can get an idea of how it works here: 

For the money, its definitely worth considering, and doesn't require anything to be worn on your head. It also works using a webcam with another piece of software called AiTrack, although I don't have a web cam so haven't tried it. 

Eugene

I replaced my 13 year old Track IR with a new one last year, and the difference was amazing. To me the Track IR is smooth, and does exactly what I want it to do 100% of the time. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

8 hours ago, Drumcode said:

I am done with the wires attached to my headphones.

A few years ago my TrackIR4 died (also after around 10 years). I tried to sim without it, but it was a disaster.
So I bought a second one, TrackIR5 this time, and it has been working for me in FSX, P3D and now MSFS.

As for the cables, unless you additionally use the TrackClip Pro, there is really no need for cables.
I used to sim with the Pro clip and then without, and I wouldn't say the precision difference (as advertised) was really worth it.
So now I don't use it any more (its mounting broke by the way). I have wireless headphones (as well as a keyboard and a mouse).
So I just use a light (summer thin) baseball cap with the included TrackClip attached to it. Works very well in each sim session with zero cables!

Food for thought.

• Like 1

Tobii

• Like 1

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!