Sign in to follow this  
Drumcode

My TIR broke, what now? TIR or Tobii?

Like many others I have had TrackIR for well over a decade and it has been great. Decided to pull the trigger on a Tobii earlier in the week and I'm happy. A little learning curve to dial in all the settings so it feels "right" to me after having TrackIR for so many years. Head tracking feels smoother and more fluid - I could see how some would dislike this for something like DCS but I love it for MSFS. I have eye tracking sensitivity pretty low but it's wildly accurate and a nice little touch to have the camera shift ever so slightly where my gaze goes. TrackIR would frequently go haywire if I looked too high at the overhead panel, not an issue with Tobii so far. I can finally fly with windows open in my room and not get interference from sunlight or reflections. It's really nice not having to wear a hat or headset. I almost feel naked when flying after so many years wearing a hat with the clip haha.

My only current gripe is that you can only disable/enable head tracking which places your view at the default placement for the current view you're in. With TrackIR I would frequently look where I needed and then pause the tracking to stabilize the camera so I could manipulate dials and buttons. I think this is a common request/complaint that will probably be addressed at some point.

• Like 1

13600K @ 5.6 | Gigabyte Windforce 4090 | LG C2 42"

2 hours ago, karlschen said:

This looks very good. Almost bought it.
What exactly is the difference between 60 and 240 Hz?

The rate at which the camera captures frames for tracking movement.

I guess it will translate into some degree of smoothness, however the FPS of your sim will play a role too.

I have the old version and for me it is fine and very smooth indeed.

• Like 1

I have TIR set up at very high sensitivity setting so when looking around it actually feels like I'm looking around (real time) and not just slowly moving the camera, which is the case with low sensitivity settings. Does Tobii provide the same feeling or is it more like moving the camera with your head thing?

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, vrdubin6 said:

My only current gripe is that you can only disable/enable head tracking which places your view at the default placement for the current view you're in. With TrackIR I would frequently look where I needed and then pause the tracking to stabilize the camera so I could manipulate dials and buttons. I think this is a common request/complaint that will probably be addressed at some point.

Freezing the image is a must have for me, and Track IR does that. Couldn't fly without it. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

I pulled the trigger on the Tobii, let’s see how this new technology works. I’ll report back in a week or so. 🙂

• Like 1

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

I pulled the trigger on the Tobii, let’s see how this new technology works. I’ll report back in a week or so. 🙂

• Like 2

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

Congrats.  Think you'll enjoy it.  I essentially disable the eye tracking since the head tracking is good enough and makes for a more seamless transition from TIR..

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

On Tobii since a week, it feels like tobii has a bit more latency as TrackIR, but I absolutely love the reliable solid tracking! Eye tracking needs some getting used to it, but I absolutely love it now! Check Flows are fun now! The only downside so far, it's not working out of the box with Il2 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by McDaniel

8 minutes ago, Stoopy said:

Congrats.  Think you'll enjoy it.  I essentially disable the eye tracking since the head tracking is good enough and makes for a more seamless transition from TIR..

Can  you look all around with that Tobii, like outside the cockpit window, or at the tail of he aircraft like with the Track IR, or are you limited to just inside the cockpit?

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Bummer that tobii doesn't guaranty IL-2 support, that'd be a deal breaker for me.  Hope that its tech works our well for the OP.

Got to put in a shameless pitch for VR, which from after many years using TIR I moved to last year:  Basically in VR, YOU are in the cockpit. Warning: just like TIR, once you get used to it there is no going back.

Edited by TheFamilyMan

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

I’ll be curious see how you get on with tobii, I’ve always been curious.

Another option I’ll throw out there is a third party wireless tir transmitter, I’ve been quite happy with this.

https://delanengineering.com/products/

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

Can  you look all around with that Tobii, like outside the cockpit window, or at the tail of he aircraft like with the Track IR, or are you limited to just inside the cockpit?

You can look all around.  The sensitivity can be adjusted so that you can look all the way back at the tail of the aircraft to "check six" or confirm the runway is behind you where you want it before turning base, etc...

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

40 minutes ago, TheFamilyMan said:

Bummer that tobii doesn't guaranty IL-2 support, that'd be a deal breaker for me.  Hope that its tech works our well for the OP.

Got to put in a shameless pitch for VR, which from after many years using TIR I moved to last year:  Basically in VR, YOU are in the cockpit. Warning: just like TIR, once you get used to it there is no going back.

The FaceTrackNoIR application recognizes Tobii inputs and converts to TrackIR output, thus allowing you to use Tobii with IL-2.  I use it with IL-2 as a perfect compliment to my VR setup (VR is definitely great in IL2 and I just experienced the rear gunner position in the new ME-410 today, wow what a work of art!). 

• Like 1

"That's what" - She

1 hour ago, regis9 said:

I’ll be curious see how you get on with tobii, I’ve always been curious.

I'll let you know. I am very reliant on TIR, so it'll be key for this thing to do what I want. My clip broke mid-flight last night and I absolutely hated finishing it without it. 

• Like 1

Jacek G.