Sign in to follow this  
Drumcode

My TIR broke, what now? TIR or Tobii?

1 hour ago, TheFamilyMan said:

Bummer that tobii doesn't guaranty IL-2 support, that'd be a deal breaker for me.  Hope that its tech works our well for the OP.

Got to put in a shameless pitch for VR, which from after many years using TIR I moved to last year:  Basically in VR, YOU are in the cockpit. Warning: just like TIR, once you get used to it there is no going back.

I tried it with P3D and wasn't a fan, but then again since then the hardware changed over the years, as I wasn't impressed with the Oculus back then. Maybe one day, but I also wear glasses and I found it to be a bit of a PITA to wear the headset. 

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

VR tech still has a ways to go.  It was a bit of a learning curve getting used to the deficiencies of my G2, but once I got past its "half empty glass", IMO what remains is so 'worth not waiting any longer' to enjoy now. 

Edited by TheFamilyMan
  • Like 1

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

2 minutes ago, TheFamilyMan said:

VR tech still has a ways to go.  It was a bit of a learning curve getting used to the deficiencies of my G2, but once I got past it's "half empty glass", IMO what remained is so 'worth not waiting any longer' to enjoy now. 

Totally agree ... when i jumped in to VR, I wasn't expecting too much as have a mid range system now...but..the absolute feeling of immersion and 'being there' far outweighed the blurriness i see at times.... having a 3rd party head strap helped as well with comfort... just a totally different experience for me now...

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

I found this video comparing Tobii & TrackIR informative:

17 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

I just got tobii this week! Frankly It was a rough start, but tobii support was superb! They  have reached out to help  to fiedx my problem. I have spend a day try to figure out settings that would work for me. And now I absolutely love it.  

One of the big advantages tobii works great  bright light condition. It was my problem for years with TrackIR and now it solved

I am considering this product at the moment.  After watching about 6 unbox videos of which 3 were heavily or wholly based on MSFS I have two concerns or questions.  Can you better describe what caused the rough start and what support was needed?  And next, though I have very good features on my flight controls (buttons, keys, switches, etc.), as a former GA pilot I just find making changes in the VC more intuitive with the mouse pointer, wheel, and clicks.  So with this Tobi, can the mouse wheel still be used to close in on and back away from the elements of the VC?  Switches, knobs, etc for electric functions, GPS, AP, fuel selector(s), and the like?  Or is it all dependent with the Tobi on eye movement and leaning in and out? 

A great example would be the fuel selectors of the Milviz C310.  In terms of views they are rather tightly nestled on the cockpit floor barely forward of the seats. How does the Tobi provide visual access to an area like that, and can the mouse wheel still be used to zoom in for closer view/control?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I am very much in the market for either a replacement TIR or the Tobii. It concerns me that you can't "freeze" the view with the Tobii. Is there any hard evidence that they are aware of the desire by the community to have this implemented or is it just wishful thinking that someday it will be an included feature?

Edited by dihedral

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
i9-9900K - EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC2 Ultra Gaming - 32GB DDR4 3200 - EVGA Z390 FTW - Windows 10 Pro

41 minutes ago, fppilot said:

I am considering this product at the moment.  After watching about 6 unbox videos of which 3 were heavily or wholly based on MSFS I have two concerns or questions.  Can you better describe what caused the rough start and what support was needed?  And next, though I have very good features on my flight controls (buttons, keys, switches, etc.), as a former GA pilot I just find making changes in the VC more intuitive with the mouse pointer, wheel, and clicks.  So with this Tobi, can the mouse wheel still be used to close in on and back away from the elements of the VC?  Switches, knobs, etc for electric functions, GPS, AP, fuel selector(s), and the like?  Or is it all dependent with the Tobi on eye movement and leaning in and out? 

A great example would be the fuel selectors of the Milviz C310.  In terms of views they are rather tightly nestled on the cockpit floor barely forward of the seats. How does the Tobi provide visual access to an area like that, and can the mouse wheel still be used to zoom in for closer view/control?

My problem was self inflicted. You can read about it here 

You can use your other view controls with tobii at the same time (mouse, hat switch and so on). You can pause tobii or reset camera view. Tobii is very similar to TrackIR you can pan, pitch, yaw, rotate and lean forward or backward just like in real life. I just flew 310 and I absolutely love it. To me personally the main advantage of tobii is that I don't have to wear anything for it to work and it virtually undetected by a bright light (I have two windows behind my desk and tobii handles it well)

I must warn you though. I tweaked tobii to my own liking. I don't like tobii to follow eye movement. So I set it up to work more like Track IR. I must say after I set it up I already flew several airplanes and it works very good. Helicopters flying became pure joy!

Here is my setup if you are interested

unknown.png?width=2136&height=1202

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

I’ve used both but prefer tobii and it’s what I’m using full time, as mentioned, for me the selling point is not having to wear anything on my head, the downfall is what was mentioned above by someone, when you freeze the camera it reverts back to the original head position… I haven’t seen any hard evidence that they are fixing it, but it would seem like common sense that they are aware of this and will fix it I would hope, but even if they were to not fix that, I still much prefer it over track ir…. It’s good to have options! 

• Like 1

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

49 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

My problem was self inflicted. You can read about it here 

You can use your other view controls with tobii at the same time (mouse, hat switch and so on). You can pause tobii or reset camera view. Tobii is very similar to TrackIR you can pan, pitch, yaw, rotate and lean forward or backward just like in real life. I just flew 310 and I absolutely love it. To me personally the main advantage of tobii is that I don't have to wear anything for it to work and it virtually undetected by a bright light (I have two windows behind my desk and tobii handles it well)

I must warn you though. I tweaked tobii to my own liking. I don't like tobii to follow eye movement. So I set it up to work more like Track IR. I must say after I set it up I already flew several airplanes and it works very good. Helicopters flying became pure joy!

Here is my setup if you are interested

Thanks for this info. You say here "You can pause tobii or reset camera view" I just want to be sure you're saying that you can "freeze" the Tobii view at whatever angle you're currently looking from and not that you can just stop if from tracking. Would you please confirm? Thank you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
i9-9900K - EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC2 Ultra Gaming - 32GB DDR4 3200 - EVGA Z390 FTW - Windows 10 Pro

1 hour ago, fppilot said:

I am considering this product at the moment. 

The 20% off only lasts until tomorrow! 😉

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

6 minutes ago, dihedral said:

Thanks for this info. You say here "You can pause tobii or reset camera view" I just want to be sure you're saying that you can "freeze" the Tobii view at whatever angle you're currently looking from and not that you can just stop if from tracking. Would you please confirm? Thank you.

When you pause tobii (using custom setup key you setup) it resets camera to default position. I haven't research beyond it because I own just for a week. LOL But for what it worth I didn't have to freeze it! All camera position keys are still work like before. If I need close up to something I just press SHIFT 1-9 and teleport to the location as before

11 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

When you pause tobii (using custom setup key you setup) it resets camera to default position. I haven't research beyond it because I own just for a week. LOL But for what it worth I didn't have to freeze it! All camera position keys are still work like before. If I need close up to something I just press SHIFT 1-9 and teleport to the location as before

Understood and thank you. Well, the 20% off sale will probably get my CC out of hibernation. I've been a TIR user since they first came out but their pricing is just a little too high now and especially with this Tobii sale.

8 minutes ago, dihedral said:

Understood and thank you. Well, the 20% off sale will probably get my CC out of hibernation. I've been a TIR user since they first came out but their pricing is just a little too high now and especially with this Tobii sale.

I just bit.  And with my USA Discover CC via Paypal this calendar quarter I got another 5% off.  Whoopie!  Still expensive!  My great Hjet only cost me $24.95.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Tobii opened my eyes to reality. I never looked back before, but today it is easier than ever!  I turned back and look her face. She was terrified! LOL Thank you tobii - now I know I don't fly as smooth as I thought LOL

unknown.png?width=2235&height=1257

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Drumcode said:

The 20% off only lasts until tomorrow! 😉

There is a 15% ongoing discount available via a link associated with the comparison video linked above.  Time for a Colorado Cool-Aid! LOL!

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
ASUS