Sign in to follow this  
Bilal2104

Is this FPS normal?

Hi guys,

Hope all is well, seem to be struggling here out the blue.

RTX 3080FE I7 10700K 16GB RAM.

Sitting at EHAM pmdg 737-8 only getting 30fps. to me this seems really low id expect to be getting atleast 45fps.

Settings are at ultra 1440p, TAA no DLSS as i find it blurry. Participating in the beta 

I7 10700K 16GB 3600MHZ RTX3080FE

4 minutes ago, Bilal2104 said:

Hi guys,

Sitting at EHAM pmdg 737-8 only getting 30fps. to me this seems really low id expect to be getting atleast 45fps.

Settings are at ultra 1440p, TAA no DLSS as i find it blurry. Participating in the beta 

Now at 25fps with 45% GPU usage

4 minutes ago, Bilal2104 said:

Hi guys,

in photogrammetry area, your fps in the ground are going to be very low. it's not like you need huge fps anyway while taxi.  Your fps will go higher when you takeoff. Btw,  your CPU is good but not fast enough for MSFS. No CPU is fast enough for MSFS. Even my 58000X3D is mainthread limited in any airliners. 

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Just now, fogboundturtle said:

in photogrammetry area, your fps in the ground are going to be very low. it's not like you need huge fps anyway while taxi.  Your fps will go higher when you takeoff. Btw,  your CPU is good but not fast enough for MSFS. No CPU is fast enough for MSFS. Even my 58000X3D is mainthread limited in any airliners. 

Very weird , used to get at least 45fps at the gate.

2 minutes ago, Bilal2104 said:

Very weird , used to get at least 45fps at the gate.

if you are using AIG, get rid of it. It's a FPS killer.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

And here we are back at people obsessing over FPS instead of looking at fluidity.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Farlis said:

And here we are back at people obsessing over FPS instead of looking at fluidity.

No not really TBH , is just a question. and yes it does feel like a stutter fest hence i took the time out my day to start a thread. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Bilal2104 said:

...and yes it does feel like a stutter fest hence i took the time out my day to start a thread. 

So it's not a rock solid 30fps, but fluctuating below that?  30fps is never de facto going to be a 'stutterfest' unless it is skipping frames or there is very poor frame-to-frame consistency.  The PMDG 738 does gobble up some main thread but it's not too bad I can still maintain a solid 30fps by vsync in the most complex settings but need to have Terrain LOD to 100 to do it. 

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

1 hour ago, Farlis said:

And here we are back reading another wasted post because you had to make an effort and contribute absolutely nothing to the OP's post.

Congrats mate, you must be fun at parties.

Jase

• Like 5
  • Upvote 5

Jaseman. Lovin it up here........

Catch us over at MassieSim32 -> https://discord.gg/B4buuHGhcr

2 hours ago, fogboundturtle said:

if you are using AIG, get rid of it. It's a FPS killer.

You don't have to get rid of AIG entirely, but tamp the traffic down to 50 or 75%. Use AI Companion to only spawn AI at your dep/arr airports. 

All the addons have a cumulative effect on reducing FPS so you either have to forgo some of the add-ons or reduce some of your settings.  Alternatively you can throw more money at hardware.

When I moved from 1080 to 1440 rez, my system took an incredible hit and I hate to imagine how people manage to run at 4k.

At higher resolutions you can bring down the render scale (though that kind of defeats the object) and you don't need to use as much anti-aliasing.  Otherwise LODs and cloud settings have to be turned down.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Thanks for the reply guys,

another question i had, is it normal to have a gpu load of 40% in general?

17 minutes ago, Bilal2104 said:

Thanks for the reply guys,

another question i had, is it normal to have a gpu load of 40% in general?

It really depends on the resolution you are running, your settings and if you are locking to a particular frame rate or running unlocked. For instance I run 4K and if I lock my fps to 30 and turn every single setting up to the max my 3090 usage will be pretty low, 40% - 50% as it doesn't have to work hard to maintain 30fps whereas if I lock my fps to 60 with the same settings my GPU usage will be up around 90% - 100% trying to maintain 60fps which it will never do.

I lock my fps to 50 and run high to Ultra settings with TLOD of 150 & OLOD of 200 in complex aircraft like the PMDG or Fenix and my GPU usage typically sits around 70% - 80% It still has capacity

The key is to always try to keep your frame time as even as possible at whatever fps you are running, if you are checking the frame rate window in developer settings you always want to be GPU limited (keep the GPU timing higher than the Main Thread timing) Look at the screenshot below when I was doing some testing. You can see the GPU & Main Thread timing on the right and the frame time graph on the left (I am using Riva Tuner to display the info on the top left)

4OSxG9B.jpg 

Edited by RJC68
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

23 minutes ago, RJC68 said:

It really depends on the resolution you are running, your settings and if you are locking to a particular frame rate or running unlocked. For instance I run 4K and if I lock my fps to 30 and turn every single setting up to the max my 3090 usage will be pretty low, 40% - 50% as it doesn't have to work hard to maintain 30fps whereas if I lock my fps to 60 with the same settings my GPU usage will be up around 90% - 100% trying to maintain 60fps which it will never do.

I lock my fps to 50 and run high to Ultra settings with TLOD of 150 & OLOD of 200 in complex aircraft like the PMDG or Fenix and my GPU usage typically sits around 70% - 80% It still has capacity

The key is to always try to keep your frame time as even as possible at whatever fps you are running, if you are checking the frame rate window in developer settings you always want to be GPU limited (keep the GPU timing higher than the Main Thread timing) Look at the screenshot below when I was doing some testing. You can see the GPU & Main Thread timing on the right and the frame time graph on the left (I am using Riva Tuner to display the info on the top left)

4OSxG9B.jpg 

Thanks for the swift reply, i dont have any fps caps on. on the ground where i get ow fps its around 40 percent usage.

running ultra 1440p. would of though the 3080 would be at least used to 75 percent or higher. my CPU seems strong enough.