Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

Sales of PMDG 737-700 exceeded even most optimistic forecast

1 hour ago, honanhal said:

Right, but how do we (or they, for that matter) know that $69.99 isn't on the right half of the parabola?

Hard to prove a counterfactual (well, impossible actually!). But hopefully PMDG at least considers the possibility that they could have further increased their total revenue with a lower price.

This is true.  We don't know if $69.99 USD is on the right half or the left half of the parabola.  The only information we have is that the unit sales of the 737-700 exceeded even the most optimistic scenario of the sales model.

The only way PMDG can find out this theoretical parabola curve is if they rewind time (ie. like Back to the Future), and keeping everything else equal, price the PMDG 737-700 differently each time they rewind time. Otherwise, this parabola curve is just theory. But so are most economic models.

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

16 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

FYi, the 737-700 did sell at $52.50 USD during PMDG's 25th anniversary celebration, about a month ago.

Than they will have even a reference compared to the -800. DId they sell more -700 or -800? This comparsion might be unfair because the -700 is out for longer. Still interessting to know which one sold better at what price range. Also interessting to know if the sales increased siginificatly in this anniversary month. If they sold more -700 that might be an indication that lower prices might increase the sales.

So, they're making a fortune? I wonder if they made more in 737 sales than Laminar did in Xp12 sales? 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

So, they're making a fortune? I wonder if they made more in 737 sales than Laminar did in Xp12 sales? 

If I were to guess, PMDG probably did make more in sales for all three variants of the 737 that went on sale (700, 600, and 800), than LR did for XP 12.  MSFS has a much larger user base than XP 12, so that definitely helped the sales of the PMDG 737.  In fact, I wouldn't even be surprised if the PMDG 737-700 alone outsold XP 12.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 2

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

1 hour ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Good lord, undoubtedly!  Here on Avsim we seem to have a rather blinkered view of what has happened to the flightsim space since the launch of MSFS2020.

The market grew enormously. That market is also dominated by people who have never heard of Avsim and will never post here. They’ll also never post on the official forums either but their buying power makes all these sims viable.

As to ‘high prices’? Frankly that’s laughable. The cost of 3rd. party add on aircraft in MSFS is much lower than P3D equivalents as the vast majority of this new market will only ever purchase one example.

P3D prices reflected the much smaller user base - $200 for an ‘academic license’ thanks but no thanks - and the amount that LM demand of developers for the right to make stuff for their product. Not forgetting in the case of PMDG, they have a license from Boeing to develop their products.

I wonder how many 737-600’s PMDG have sold at an irresistible thirty five bucks a go?

As to XP12; well good luck Austin! He’s not a stupid guy and we have already heard the talk that XP12 is targeting the ‘professional’ market - whatever that means - and will still appeal to all those eccentrics who swear by non Windows operating systems but he obviously knows the writing is on the wall….

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

my guess is they absolutely crushed the XP12 Sales.  In fact I bet the Fenix and Maddog did also.  

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

The only exposure I have to a well done virtual 737NG is the free Zibo in XPlane11.

With that in mind using a "realism scale" of 0 - 10, where would these two products sit?

I know its unfair as one is a paid product but for the casual tubeliner flier it would be interesting to see where these two sit on that scale.

1 hour ago, DD_Arthur said:

P3D prices reflected the much smaller user base - $200 for an ‘academic license’ thanks but no thanks - and the amount that LM demand of developers for the right to make stuff for their product. Not forgetting in the case of PMDG, they have a license from Boeing to develop their products.

For the sake of accuracy, the P3D academic license is $59.95, while that for the professional license is $199.

https://www.prepar3d.com/product-overview/prepar3d-license-comparison/#:~:text=Developer Licenses – %249.95%2FMonth (,you to develop for Prepar3D.

The academic version is specifically limited to students at the undergraduate level or below.

• Like 1

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

3 minutes ago, jrw4 said:

For the sake of accuracy, the P3D academic license is $59.95, while that for the professional license is $199.

https://www.prepar3d.com/product-overview/prepar3d-license-comparison/#:~:text=Developer Licenses – %249.95%2FMonth (,you to develop for Prepar3D.

The academic version is specifically limited to students at the undergraduate level or below.

...... and not for entertainment

• Like 1

Paul

BeQuiet Pure Base 500 FX - MSI Mag Tomahawk B760 - i5 13600k @ 5.1ghz - 32GB RAM - RTX 3060 12GB  -  32f (31.5" ) Full HD Monitor - TCA Officer Pack - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke -  Logitech Multi Panel

1 hour ago, jrw4 said:

For the sake of accuracy, the P3D academic license is $59.95, while that for the professional license is $199. The academic version is specifically limited to students at the undergraduate level or below.

1 hour ago, garlicbread11 said:

...... and not for entertainment

Ignore at your peril, an acquaintance just served a 3 year jail term because he was seen on a Twitch stream to be smiling whilst using P3D. Subsequent investigation discovered it was P3D Academic licence and he wasn't in education. Good job he wasn't using any PMDG P3D product, could've been 4 or 5 year total custodial sentence.

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

3 hours ago, ThrottleUp said:

The only exposure I have to a well done virtual 737NG is the free Zibo in XPlane11.

With that in mind using a "realism scale" of 0 - 10, where would these two products sit?

I know its unfair as one is a paid product but for the casual tubeliner flier it would be interesting to see where these two sit on that scale.

For the casual tubeliner flier I think the PMDG will feel like a more 'polished' simulation of the 737, though according to some the Zibo hand-flies better. Overall, I think non-real-world-pilots would probably prefer the PMDG all else being equal.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7800X3D - RTX 2080 FE - 64GB DDR5 - Dan C4-SFX

On 9/11/2022 at 4:44 PM, David Roch said:

Don't forget all of those who have made their fortunes thanks to PMDG. For example me, I earned $2 and 50 cts thanks to my 737's checklist on flighsim.to.
😎

Don't spend it all at once!

🤣

• Like 2

18 hours ago, NZ255 said:

Prosim is avionics

Yes, and FSLabs avionics are better than Prosim, especially with regards to IAE engines which Prosim has known issues with. Let alone that Prosim does not simulate the A319 and A321. 

Prosim is great, and it's certainly a good starting point. But it has well-known inaccuracies and of course limits Fenix's future development possibilities - I am very curious how they intend to expand upon their lineup once they finish the A320 variants.

7800X3D - RTX 2080 FE - 64GB DDR5 - Dan C4-SFX

20 minutes ago, StAgre said:

though according to some the Zibo hand-flies better

Which 3 people who own XP11/12 and MSFS and both 737's?  🙃  Besides, w/o knowing exactly what controls are being used and how they're set up kind of goofy claim (by the 3, not you StAgre).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

4 hours ago, micstatic said:

my guess is they absolutely crushed the XP12 Sales.  In fact I bet the Fenix and Maddog did also.  

I'd be rather surprised if the Maddog has sold well outside of the limited number of very hardcore simmers.

• Like 2