Sign in to follow this  
NorwegianAviator

C172 float version not being able to take-off

Am I the only one having issues with the float plane version of the C172 in XP12? It takes forever to accelerate. Initially I'm adding full power with full elevator up to get the floats over the hump (not sure if this is simulated correctly), but doesn't seem to work. It takes me like 1 minute to reach 40 knots. Anyone? 

---

MSFS | DCS | X-plane 12

52 minutes ago, NorwegianAviator said:

Am I the only one having issues with the float plane version of the C172 in XP12? It takes forever to accelerate. Initially I'm adding full power with full elevator up to get the floats over the hump (not sure if this is simulated correctly), but doesn't seem to work. It takes me like 1 minute to reach 40 knots. Anyone? 

Check that you don't have the 'anchor' engaged.  That was the same for XP11 as well....

I had the same issue the first time I tried. Following this real life procedure, I can takeoff in around 30 secs (which should be about right):

Screenshot-1108.png

Actually, I think I don't need to move the yoke totally forward, maybe just a little.

Keep in mind the default weight in the C172 floatplane in XP is wrong, it's 2500lbs whereas the real aircraft MTOW is around 2200lbs, so you should use 2200lbs as max weight.

Make sure the waves are not too high (I tried with 0.5 ft waves, still haven't tested how much higher can they go for takeoff to be feasible).

Also, I assume the takeoff should be with headwind if there's any wind.

Edited by Murmur

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Also gear up...forgot that once. It wasn't pretty.

I can't consistently hydroplane even at 2200 lb. Have to be at about 2000 or less. Choose the most favorite pax. And yeah, forward yoke is maybe quarter or half forward. Oscillate pitch slowly a bit to find the planning sweet spot. Somewhere around 0 deg pitch.

Edited by blingthinger
  • Upvote 1

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

I've been trying lots of things including changing weight to around 2000 Ibs but I still can't make sense out of it. The only thing I can think of is that the water physics might need some fixing and improvements. 

---

MSFS | DCS | X-plane 12

They can be maybe a bit tricky.

I go full throttle, pull the yoke full aft, then when the nose stops rising, I push it a bit forward, and then when the speed has increased a bit, I put the yoke more or less neutral, to let the floats plane on the water. When planing, the speed should gradually increase up to takeoff speed (45-50 kts). Here's a video I made (at default overweight of 2500 lbs), it takes off in about 35 seconds.

However, not denying that you might have issues. If you still can't get it to takeoff, you could file a bug report to Laminar Research with a thorough description of the issue.

EDIT: I also checked the water run distance and the distance over 50-ft Obstacle (at the MTOW of 2200lbs), and they are about +/-10% of the real values as per aircraft manual.

Edited by Murmur
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

4 hours ago, NorwegianAviator said:

I've been trying lots of things including changing weight to around 2000 Ibs but I still can't make sense out of it. The only thing I can think of is that the water physics might need some fixing and improvements. 

It takes a bit of practice.  Follow the instructions by @Murmur and use subtle movements of the yoke when trying to get on the step. Austin’s article and videos about it makes it clear that the action of the plane on the water is pretty accurate. 

• Upvote 1

Maybe also worth checking joystick sensitivity curves as well as the sliders in the "control sensitivity" button in the bottom left of the joystick window. I'm suggesting to only need half forward yoke but my curves are straight lines. If you have parabolic responses (or sliders set to fine control near center),  the elevator will be less effective until almost fully forward.

• Like 1

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

12 hours ago, blingthinger said:

Maybe also worth checking joystick sensitivity curves as well as the sliders in the "control sensitivity" button in the bottom left of the joystick window. I'm suggesting to only need half forward yoke but my curves are straight lines. If you have parabolic responses (or sliders set to fine control near center),  the elevator will be less effective until almost fully forward.

I once, in XP11, inadvertedly pushed one of the sliders full right and for a while found my pitch response really weird 🙂

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I actually got this working now. However, there are some aspects about the takeoff process that doesn't quite feel right to me. I don't know. I don't have a float plane endorsement and I've never flown float planes in real life (but would love to). Maybe someone here with a sea plane endorsement could share their opinions? 

Thanks for the help everyone! :) 

---

MSFS | DCS | X-plane 12

23 minutes ago, NorwegianAviator said:

about the takeoff process that doesn't quite feel right to me

I do notice it's quite jumpy in yaw when hydroplaning, unlike Murmur's YT video that seems more stable. Might also be because right now my joystick is in a packing box and I am using a xbox controller! Also haven't dared trying bigger waves yet.

• Upvote 1

Just now, blingthinger said:

I do notice it's quite jumpy in yaw when hydroplaning, unlike Murmur's YT video that seems more stable. Might also be because right now my joystick is in a packing box and I am using a xbox controller! Also haven't dared trying bigger waves yet.

It's the same here on my end. I'm using TPR rudder pedals. 

---

MSFS | DCS | X-plane 12

34 minutes ago, blingthinger said:

I do notice it's quite jumpy in yaw when hydroplaning, unlike Murmur's YT video that seems more stable.

Yes I can confirm it seems somewhat unstable in yaw during the takeoff run, it requires careful rudder control.