Sign in to follow this  
Murmur

Mind those runway conditions (aquaplaning!)

XP12 models high speed aquaplaning, so be prepared for a greatly reduced tire friction (both for braking action and directional control) above aquaplaning speed. It's of course most noticeable with high standing water on the runway.

The aquaplaning speed depends on tire pressure, so e.g. the Citation X will transition to/from aquaplaning above 100 kts, while the Piper Cub with tundra tires will keep aquaplaning until below 20 kts!

• Like 4

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

11 minutes ago, Alec said:

Now I need to try that!!

aquaplaning is dangerous , use a heli very safe

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

1 hour ago, Humpty said:

At least in my case... often when I go to land a heli, I'll land about 1000 metres away, and pretend that is actually where I intended

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Humpty said:

C'mon Humpty, we all know if there's a water spot anywhere even 100 m away from where you intended to land, that's where you'll end up in a #Splash# 😜

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

This is indeed a Great feature !

I confess I haven't had enough time to try evary new aspect in XP12, but it rapidly turning into my preferred civil flightsim ( again ... ).

Even weather has been more consistently rendered so far and effects more plausible in some aspects compared to MFS.

Then comes aircraft handling / instrument panels readibility and windowed mode functionality, and even the ATC, which is still buggy and more limited than what I have in MFS when in Real World Traffic mode starts to gain my interest because it looks closer to the kind of interaction I have IRL...

Loving each & every aspect of XP12.

So far only one aspect worries me, who am very "anal" about power consumption, and my CPU fan certainly starts spinning much more actively when I start XP12, compared to MFS and IL-2...

Ah, and scenery detail OFC... 

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 2

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

25 minutes ago, tonywob said:

At least in my case... often when I go to land a heli, I'll land about 1000 metres away, and pretend that is actually where I intended

That's the case with me too but at the end I am happy that I landed safely

1 minute ago, Humpty said:

That's the case with me too but at the end I am happy that I landed safely

That's what happens when an Indy Miggy Piloteee is given an heli to fly.... 

Main Simulation Rig:

9 minutes ago, jcomm said:

C'mon Humpty, we all know if there's a water spot anywhere even 100 m away from where you intended to land, that's where you'll end up in a #Splash# 😜

😛

Just now, jcomm said:

That's what happens when an Indy Miggy Piloteee is given an heli to fly.... 

Oh blody time for some miggie today.

Regarding instruments readability, I think any FSR setting lower than full right produces blurry images. Maybe if things seem blurry, it's best to leave FSR at max and, if GPU is the bottleneck, set AA one notch down.

• Like 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

6 minutes ago, Murmur said:

Regarding instruments readability, I think any FSR setting lower than full right produces blurry images. Maybe if things seem blurry, it's best to leave FSR at max and, if GPU is the bottleneck, set AA one notch down.

That's also one of the reasons I asked Austin to keep the altimeter setting in one of the Data Output lines, like in XP11. I used it with some clcokwork-type instruments like the default C172 to check the altimeter setting in the otherwise pretty much unreadable kollsman window.... Austin didn't like it though 😞 He's UGLY!!!

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

2 hours ago, Humpty said:

🤣. Interestingly enough, a lot of people don't realize that you hydroplane a lot. I never think about it until landing on short(5000FT) runways or dealing with crosswind components in heavy rain. Every now and then you notice it when you get that heavy anti  skid cycling shuddering you into the straps. You definitely get it when you have to come on the breaks earlier than usual.

2 hours ago, Humpty said:

I Want to have to deal only with aquaplanning, not the 100+ other stuff that can bring a chopper down 😛

Alexis Mefano

This is great! Bring on the other surface conditions. There's a reason I taxi at 23 kts on dry surfaces, 12 kts on wet surfaces and 6 kts on icy surfaces. I picked it up in the USAF. We used Runway Condition Readings(RCR) and Runway Surface Conditions(RSC) for performance calculations. For RCR correction grids in charts, 23 Dry, 12 Wet and 6 Icy. Who knew that those numbers worked great for taxi speeds too 🤣. When operating at civil airports, we used the braking action reports. Good=23, Fair=12 and poor=6.  For RSC correction grids in charts, the numbers represented tenths of an inch for depth.

Rick

• Like 1