Sign in to follow this  
mobiel

Memory could not be written

2 hours ago, andy1252 said:

When it's playing nice it is simply magnificent. Head, shoulders, heck, even ankles, above everything else. But when it gets into a sulk it's a real brat.

Yeah, it can be a menace. I struggled with memory could not be read CTDs for more than a month after building a new rig.

I wouldn’t quit the sim until you’ve tried DX12 in SU10 though. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

1 hour ago, andy1252 said:

That is the Passmark test. I'm only running it to prove to myself that there's nothing wrong with my ram and I don't expect to find any errors.

Okay, I'd examine what the Event Viewer logs from precisely the time of a CTD indicate.

Also, you can't rule out other hardware problems, like a psu not putting out.  I presume your 3090ti has all of its power connections attached.  It's really difficult to say what I'd do next without knowing your hardware and driver situation, but hopefully this will give you some ideas.

I agree with the admiral, I wouldn't throw in the towel, as SU10 is about to launch and once that happens we'll all be wanting to install a new video card driver from nvidia, for starters.  In your case I'd do a clean driver install which would get rid of any odd profiles that may be causing a CTD for you.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

1 hour ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Yeah, it can be a menace. I struggled with memory could not be read CTDs for more than a month after building a new rig.

I won’t quit the sim until you’ve tried DX12 in SU10 though. 

Unlikely to completely quit the sim, spent way too much on it. But if it stays this flakey for me I'll be spending a lot more time in XP (11 or 12) until they release a version that plays nice on my machine. And I certainly won't be buying any more addons at this point (and a whole industry wept <grin>)

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

2 minutes ago, Mace said:

I wouldn't throw in the towel, as SU10 is about to launch

Pretty much what I'm banking on at this point Rhett. Confident about my hardware, it's all configured ok, nothing overclocked and the PS is up to the job (1kw or 1.2kw, can't remember what I bought in the end). I put the latest NV drivers in when I got the 3090 a few months back, but as you say, maybe the combination of new drivers and SU10 will do it. Hope so. In the meantime I'm just playing with Photoshop and similar and mostly taking a break from the sim - too annoying.

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

10 hours ago, andy1252 said:

Clean system, no addons whatsoever, ten minutes into a flight in your basic X-Cub and boom, "memory could not be written" and CTD.

If you haven't already, try an older driver with your 3090Ti. 

For reference: https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/questions/7149/ctds-the-instruction-at-referenced-memory-at-0x00.html

Regards, Kendall

9 hours ago, andy1252 said:

Pretty much what I'm banking on at this point Rhett. Confident about my hardware, it's all configured ok, nothing overclocked and the PS is up to the job (1kw or 1.2kw, can't remember what I bought in the end). I put the latest NV drivers in when I got the 3090 a few months back, but as you say, maybe the combination of new drivers and SU10 will do it. Hope so. In the meantime I'm just playing with Photoshop and similar and mostly taking a break from the sim - too annoying.

You removed all add-ons, even MSFS marketplace add-ons, right?  Did you also test MSFS in safe mode?  Asking this because add-ons are the #1 source of CTDs, aside from overclocking.

I would let MemTest run over 24 hours and let the test fully complete.

If MemTest passes, I read some comments from other people saying their graphics card was overclocked when they received their computer and they didn't know about it.  If MemTest passes for you, maybe check with whoever sold you the PC to see if anything was overclocked on the graphics card with you received your computer (I don't recommend you tinkering with your graphics card though to see if it's overclocked, if you can get a straight answer from the vendor of your computer, that's probably much safer than tinkering with your graphics card).

FYI, with my new computer, MSFS was also CTDing on me quite frequently, and once in a while, I was also getting the odd CTD from Age of Empires 4. Turn out, my RAM was overclocked, with respect to the CPU and motherboard I was using, even though the speed my RAM was clocked to exactly what it said on the box of my RAM. When I lowered the clock speed of my RAM, MSFS has become stable for me (and I also don't get CTDs in Age of Empires 4 either). You can read my whole story here.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

14 hours ago, craigeaglefire said:

what’s the problem here,

SU10 Beta with DX12 DLSS is actually working really well right now…

Well we're hoping that SU10 fixes all of @andy1252's problems.

@abrams_tank mentions video card overclocks.  This can't be emphasized enough -- often the factory overclock of a vidcard has a negligible impact on frame rates/performance, all it does is add heat and risk stability issues.  I usually make it a point to underclock a card just a little, which helps with heat and doesn't impact performance to any degree.  We're all largely cpu-bound anyway.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I'm on the actual BETA Version and I'm getting this "written" Error every flight once the airport and airplane is loaded

I was getting these all the time. They seem to have completely disappeared. Haven't seen one in a week or so.

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

In my case it was "memory could not be read." MSFS support told me to insure that Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling was turned off, among many other suggestions. That was the first thing I tried (nothing else), its been great for the last couple of weeks, I have around 15 hours of flight time with a time of around 2 hours or so each.

Edited by w9nwrwi
typo
  • Like 1

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700KF CPU @ 4.90GHz  32.0 GB RAM Windows 11 Home NVIDIA RTX 3080Ti 12GB Multi monitors

WD SN850 M2 2TB PSU 1000W. 360 AIO.cooling.

The above is a good idea. Here is another idea... Unplug all your USB devices except the very minimal you need. Unplug everything in the case (except what you need). Get a brand new hard drive and new memory from somewhere you can return easily. Underclock RAM to 3000 or less, leave GPU at default settings. Install everything on this one drive, keep your old drive disconnected, but just so you don't have to reinstall you can always reconnect the old drive. Install Windows fresh on new drive while keeping only one drive active, install MB drivers, install GPU driver, install MSFS all on this ONE drive. If it still doesn't work, flash your BIOS to latest, then reset the BIOS settings. Try again. Keep a vanilla MSFS install while testing for at least a week to make sure. If it still doesn't work, bad power supply, overheating, MB, or interop issue with some driver or BIOS setting most likely. Possibly replace the MB, it's a lot of trouble though. I had similar issue mostly only in DEV mode, I replaced my AMD 6900xt with an NVIDIA 3080 and the issues went away.

The AMD was fine MOST of the time, but I finally tracked my issue down. What caused the problem for me was the dumb Mixed Reality Portal or STEAM VR software would sometimes auto-launch (I guess sleep mode issue with HP Reverb). When this happened, the AMD was getting confused and would reset my refresh rate. All these things happening simultaneously (mixed reality changing things, AMD confused) would trigger a USB issue ONLY some of the time. I fixed it by switching the video card to the NVIDIA 3080. I think it was also that my motherboard driver wasn't getting along perfectly with the AMD - HP Reverb combo, as I would get freezes in DEV mode, and now I have zero.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

1 hour ago, MDFlier said:

I was getting these all the time. They seem to have completely disappeared. Haven't seen one in a week or so.

Do you also use REX?

58 minutes ago, w9nwrwi said:

In my case it was "memory could not be read." MSFS support told me to insure that Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling was turned off, among many other suggestions. That was the first thing I tried (nothing else), its been great for the last couple of weeks, I have around 15 hours of flight time with a time of around 2 hours or so each.

Interesting idea, where can I check whether it is one or off?

No Rex.

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440