Sign in to follow this  
vin747

Need advice: 4K monitor FPS impact SU10

I have a RTX 3090 (see sig) and a 32" 1080p and have had great performance in SU9. Will probably be even better with SU10 DX12.. I run the sim at a notch below ULTRA and FPS locked to 30.. it rarely drops below 30, that too, only in JFK sorta airports with AI traffic.. 

But have always had a nagging feeling I'm not getting much out of my 3090.. so looking at a 43" LG 4K TV.. my 2nd monitor is 1080p 21" which I use for charts, etc. 

Can the 3090 handle 4K with fully loaded payware addons, HIGH/ULTRA settings?  I run a 10900K @ 5.3 gigs, but suspect I might be CPU limited.. my GPU sleeps at 60C/30%  most of the time.. 

I'm asking this question in the context of MSFS SU10.. so didn't think it belonged in hardware forum.. 

Vinod Kumar

i9 10900K 5.3 Ghz, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM, Win 10 Pro.

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.

1 minute ago, vin747 said:

I have a RTX 3090 (see sig) and a 32" 1080p and have had great performance in SU9. Will probably be even better with SU10 DX12.. I run the sim at a notch below ULTRA and FPS locked to 30.. it rarely drops below 30, that too, only in JFK sorta airports with AI traffic.. 

But have always had a nagging feeling I'm not getting much out of my 3090.. so looking at a 43" LG 4K TV.. my 2nd monitor is 1080p 21" which I use for charts, etc. 

Can the 3090 handle 4K with fully loaded payware addons, HIGH/ULTRA settings?  I run a 10900K @ 5.3 gigs, but suspect I might be CPU limited.. my GPU sleeps at 60C/30%  most of the time.. 

I'm asking this question in the context of MSFS SU10.. so didn't think it belonged in hardware forum.. 

the 3090 was made for 4K 

I run 4k on a 43 inch TV, solid 50fps in the PMDG or Fenix with high to ultra settings. Running 1080P with a 3090 is really a huge waste of resources

• Like 1

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

When I say can 3090 handle 4K, I mean, can it maintain 30 FPS like its doing now with 1080p? If its CPU limited, then maybe it should.. anybody moved from 1080 to 4K recently on SU9/SU10 can chime in?

Vinod Kumar

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.

Thanks Richard for quick response.. 

follow on question - is 43" the sweet spot for size or should I go bigger.. I sit only about 3 ft away from the screen.. so don't want to get headaches etc..

Vinod Kumar

4 minutes ago, vin747 said:

follow on question - is 43" the sweet spot for size or should I go bigger.. I sit only about 3 ft away from the screen.. so don't want to get headaches etc..

For the TV size it really is personal preference. I would not go any bigger than 50 inch as I also sit around the 3 feet mark but I have read other's here are using 75 inch TV's. I did try my old 55 inch Panasonic 1080P TV and I felt it was too big. 43 or 48 is a nice size for MSFS

Your CPU is a little weaker than mine but from the testing I have done with my PC if I lock the fps to 30 with every single setting maxed out the GPU sits there twiddling it's thumbs. I even pushed the render scale to 130 when I was running 30fps to make sure I was always GPU limited. I ended up setting a custom refresh rate of 50Hz on my TV, running with Vsync on in NVCP and locking frames to 50fps in Riva tuner. I run high to ultra settings and this gives me the smoothness of 60fps while allowing the CPU & GPU to have some headroom. YMMV of course. You may find that your CPU struggles to keep up with your 3090 at higher fps.

It will be interesting to see what SU10 brings for sure

• Like 1

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

9 minutes ago, vin747 said:

I have a the LG c1 48 moving from a 43. I think now the 48 is the sweet spot.never had a headaches and sit 32 from screen. I use a tablet for my second screen.

• Like 2

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

26 minutes ago, vin747 said:

Can the 3090 handle 4K with fully loaded payware addons, HIGH/ULTRA settings? 

Yes, with ease most times.

28 minutes ago, vin747 said:

your CPU will hold you back more than you GPU to be honest. This is the issue, the IPC of your 10th generation processor cannot keep up with your 3090. 

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

2 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

your CPU will hold you back more than you GPU to be honest. This is the issue, the IPC of your 10th generation processor cannot keep up with your 3090. 

I am using a 3090 with a i9900KS and it is fine in 90% of situations. 

1 minute ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I am using a 3090 with a i9900KS and it is fine in 90% of situations. 

Don't take this personally, Even the 12900KS can't keep up in MSFS. Even the 5800X3D can't keep up with MSFS. Only rarely I am GPU limited. I am almost all of the time Mainthread limited. That's because there isn't a CPU on the market that has enough IPC and clockspeed to draw the frame at 16ms (60fps) most of the time. The LOD is too big in MSFS. There is too many things to draw, this is not like a game where there is less then 2 miles of LOD to draw. This is 150miles of LOD. The only real solution to this problem would be Unreal Engine 5 but I would really doubt that Asobo would switch engine.  If anything, I think they have done miracle so far. If you compare to the performance / visual fidelity Xplane gets, you would be very happy with MSFS. 

13 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

Don't take this personally, Even the 12900KS can't keep up in MSFS. Even the 5800X3D can't keep up with MSFS. Only rarely I am GPU limited. I am almost all of the time Mainthread limited. That's because there isn't a CPU on the market that has enough IPC and clockspeed to draw the frame at 16ms (60fps) most of the time. The LOD is too big in MSFS. There is too many things to draw, this is not like a game where there is less then 2 miles of LOD to draw. This is 150miles of LOD. The only real solution to this problem would be Unreal Engine 5 but I would really doubt that Asobo would switch engine.  If anything, I think they have done miracle so far. If you compare to the performance / visual fidelity Xplane gets, you would be very happy with MSFS. 

I'm hoping the 13700K will put us in a better spot in that regard, but I'm realistic about it -- I don't think there is any cpu on the horizon with enough IPC to handle MSFS's demands the way we hard-core gents would like.

As for the OP's question, I can't specifically answer as I have a 3080ti and not an RTX3090, but the two cards are similar sans vid memory.  Anyway, I can provide a data point -- I'm running a clocked 8800K with a 3080ti.  I am rather heavily cpu-bound even at 4K resolution.  I run 4K on a 32" monitor.  Even so, this rig can maintain 35-55 fps (I presently refresh at 60 / vsync on) just about all the time, so I'm pretty pleased with the mem sticks I used and my clock.  I haven't really torture-tested it in MSFS though, with AIG at Heathrow or something like that -- I've been doing other types of flying (Sting S4 in rural areas) -- although I did do a PMDG 737-700 flight from Orbx KBOI to FlightBeam's KDEN the other day, and it was holding over 35 fps the whole time.  And more importantly -- it was totally smooth.  Smoothness is what you want, I am not that interested in frame rate.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Ok some good inputs here. I’m choosing LG because it has game mode which supposedly reduces input lag. Any advice here on using tv as monitor vis a vis latency etc. 

there are some cheaper brands like Xiaomi or TCL that offer 50 inches at the same cost of LG 43 inch. So that’s another dilemma. 

Vinod Kumar

2 minutes ago, vin747 said:

Ok some good inputs here. I’m choosing LG because it has game mode which supposedly reduces input lag. Any advice here on using tv as monitor vis a vis latency etc. 

there are some cheaper brands like Xiaomi or TCL that offer 50 inches at the same cost of LG 43 inch. So that’s another dilemma. 

Stick with the LG

• Like 1

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

Budget not really a constraint. Can go to 55 inches and bigger but will sitting 3 ft away will that give me headaches? Anyone with 50 + size can chime in?

Vinod Kumar

I have on order the new Alienware QD-OLED Ultrawide monitor. Personally, I prefer more pixel on the horizontal than vertical. It's easy on the GPU and it offers a wide field of view. Also easier to fit on a desk. but that's just me