Sign in to follow this  
Michael Moe

we need FFTF for MSFS2020 -

28 minutes ago, Noel said:

I set T-LOD at 140 and MainThread was 26-27ms, which equates to being on the early onset stutters w/ Vsync to 30FPS all settings otherwise maxed for 3440x1440. You notice the frame rate dipping down to 28 or 29 and with it stuttering. 

So, the MainThread latency reading corresponds to the frame rate in this way?  Interesting, I didn't know that.  So if your FPS drops below the MainThread latency, it can be a stutter situation?   This sounds similar to your fps dropping below your vsync.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

49 minutes ago, Mace said:

... if your FPS drops below the MainThread latency, it can be a stutter situation?

The higher the MT in milliseconds the closer you get to becoming CPU/MainThread limited, which correlates well with stuttering.  On my system w/ its 3080Ti and 32Gb of SRAM when I see MTms at 25 or 26 or above this is when I see the sim struggling to maintain the 30FPS by vsync.   And whenever that occures stuttering commences.   There is one saving grace w/ this whole issue and it's this, for me:  visually, the difference between T-LOD of 150, or T-LOD of 100, is just very subtle, thankfully.  I do see value in using Render Scale of 120 better than 100, and almost always have no trouble running RS of 120.  In very light weather, easily 140 or 150.

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

On 9/15/2022 at 9:44 PM, Cognita said:

Coatl is one reason I have avoided GSX, someone needs to figure out how to do this, even if more simply, without an external program. When it released all the echo's of the debates in P3D, of it crashing, failing, interfering with other programs, and crashing the sim immediately came back.

Couatl being an external program is precisely the reason why it cannot crash the sim and it's precisely the reason why it won't affect the sim performances, because it's inherently multithreaded, that is Windows itself will assign it to different threads automatically, using spare cores that are less used by the sim own threads.

Couatl never "crashed P3D", this urban legend started only because in P3D we used an undocumented API that has been there since FSX to read airport data nearby, which in P3D only has a bug, that makes the sim crash when there's nothing around you for hundreds of miles, that is remote areas. This never didn't had *anything* to do with Couatl, of course, since Couatl cannot crash the sim and cannot call any API that are not included with Simconnect. It was the Addon Manager doing this call,  but it was the simulator *itself* that crashed due to a bug in facilities.dll, so we fixed by just disabling everything while cruising.

This doesn't obviously have anything to do with MSFS.

We don't have an Addon Manager anymore and we don't have any chance to make any calls which are not part of Simconnect, we don't have any way to access the simulator memory space, you are simply "counting" the forum issues, see some vague association with Couatl, made a completely unrelated connection to P3D without knowing what was the real cause of the crash there ( a bug in an undocumented function in P3D we don't use anymore, made by another program we don't have in MSFS ) and are drawing some kind of conclusion that has no relationship with reality, and fact MSFS started it's "CTD period" the day after GSX came out, has further confused the perception of reality, even long after it has been abundantly proven those crashes never had anything to do with it. 

Couatl can fail to start, but it won't affect the sim, and can be started, exited and restarted at any time, without affecting the sim

Couatl can show errors in some of our Python scripts. That doesn't obviously mean Couatl is "bugged", it's the script that has a bug, and Couatl safely and proper reports it so we can fix it. Saying Couatl is "bugged" because you see an error *reported* by it, it's like saying Visual Basic is buggy, because you see errors in a Basic program being reported by it. Couatl reporting errors obviously means it's doing its job, so users can report the error to us, and we can fix the Python script that caused it. NONE of this will have any effect on the sim, which doesn't obviously know anything of errors in scripts reported by their own language interpreter that runs in a completely separate process. If this happens, you just Restart it. The MSFS version has been *designed* to be restarted an unlimited number of times, and can be started at any time, during a flight, after landing, etc.

Couatl can even crash abruptly, usually when it finds a corrupted .BGL or have to deal with issues like wrong permissions or antivirus interference, of course most of these issues has been already found and fixed, and all of them will likely gone when we'll integrate the new Navdata API in SU10, meaning Couatl will not need to read the .BGL files anymore or have to maintain an airport cache.  But even when these crash happens, they will still NOT affect the sim, which will just notice a client has disconnected and will automatically remove all objects eventually created by it, if any.

Edited by virtuali
  • Like 3

Umberto is right : if an external program running outside the sim crashes then that won’t affect the sim….

Edited by GSalden

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

On 9/15/2022 at 8:26 PM, Michael Moe said:

Well i know we have had this one up before but it does make a differents manually changing LOD Terrain from 100 to 300 at FL150 or greater. FPS wise it is still great above with crisper terrain.

The catch is i seems to have issues with changing things in the menu on some aircrafts . The PMDG 737 does not get upset going to the ESC menu.

Its the dynamic functional of LOD Terrain we need 🙂

Thanks

Michael Moe (SU9)

Hi to all,

I will take a look and see if its possible to build a hack for dynamically lod. btw, nothing impossible. But, with so often msfs upgrades, it will need a lot of time consumed to keep it updated. If there is a lot of interest about it, then I can build it.  

Merry christmas to all 

• Like 15
  • Upvote 6

Achilles

Flight Simulator Plaform Solutions

1 hour ago, Achilles Philippopoulos said:

I will take a look and see if its possible to build a hack for dynamically lod.

Typically in my experience main thread impact happens mostly a few miles before touchdown.  If one could dynamically change Terrain LOD such that the closer you get to the ground the lower the LOD goes.  If you can create an interface for users to determine the parameters (min/max LOD, distance above ground level, etc) that could be great.  Also, Object LOD does not seem to have anywhere near this level of impact on the main thread.

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Would love to see this developed for MSFS!

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

On 12/22/2022 at 10:13 AM, Achilles Philippopoulos said:

Hi to all,

I will take a look and see if its possible to build a hack for dynamically lod. btw, nothing impossible. But, with so often msfs upgrades, it will need a lot of time consumed to keep it updated. If there is a lot of interest about it, then I can build it.  

Merry christmas to all 

Definitely on board and would think that this could be a real game changer in performance and immersion!

A dynamical tLOD and objects LOD would be very welcome. The lower you fly the less far in the distance you can see around. Therefore a lower tLOD and objects LOD will certainly help with getting higher FPS. 

Not everyone has the latest and fastest hardware. 

• Like 4

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

On 12/22/2022 at 10:13 AM, Achilles Philippopoulos said:

Hi to all,

Merry christmas to all 

That would be awesome,

I would certainly be interested in trying this, as others have said there’s no need for a high TLOD when on the ground and if a dynamic LOD keeps the sim fluid on the ground I’m in. There was a similar plugin for X-Plane 11 that worked quite well I seem to remember.

• Like 1

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

Life’s too short for this sort of thing I think! Just set the game up to run well in a demanding scenario and leave it at that. You’ll be spending a lot less time fiddling about with stuff, and more time (virtually) flying. 

16 hours ago, GSalden said:

A dynamical tLOD and objects LOD would be very welcome. The lower you fly the less far in the distance you can see around. Therefore a lower tLOD and objects LOD will certainly help with getting higher FPS. 

Not everyone has the latest and fastest hardware. 

Agree! Such an addon would be great. No need to have a TLOD of e.g. 300 when on short final or on the ground. Having the option of dynamically adjusted TLOD makes sense as TLOD has the biggest impact on performance.

2 hours ago, RJC68 said:

There was a similar plugin for X-Plane 11 that worked quite well I seem to remember.

Yes - I used that one. Can't remember the name though. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

A smooth dynamic T-Lod would really be a game changer for many, I wouldn't have to upgrade my computer if it came true.

• Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

I don´t know If technically would be possible, but if it is,  and if somebody could create a tool that works softly, and fine I think would be a must have add-on from minute one. It would be worth each cent, IMHO.

• Like 3