Sign in to follow this  
mpo910

GSX | Your opinion | Stable or Instable | Buy or wait

Dear FlightSimmers!

At the moment I am really enjoying MSFS, even incl. the SU10 BETA. MSFS is rock solid at my end and performance is great. I have installed windows 11 completely from scratch 8 weeks ago and try to keep the installion as clean as possible. I do not really like (but also do not 100% exclude) products wich install their folders all over the place (Local, Roaming, Programms, ProgrammFiles, Programmfiles (x86), etc, etc.. I prefer (really just prefer) products installing in community folder, clean and simple.

As a former P3D Heavy user (and current P3D Beta Tester) I know GSX and have had a lot of fun with this addon. In P3D I had almost no issues with it (Issues = Bugs or instability). Of course there where things I didn´t like (Couatl issues, Stutter on Taxi when calling GSX services (regardless the cause) etc.), but overall my experience was a very good one, I just liked it in P3D, a must have!

Since the release of GSX PRO for MSFS I am really not sure about the status of the current released product. I am monitoring their forums closely and find so many posts about several different issues (= BUGS or stability issues). I don´t care about the "I like it" or "I like it not" posts. I just care about the usability, stability and bugs, existing as per todays product status. And normally the issues are getting reported, but not the positive feedbacks. So my "view" on things is influenced and maybe not correct.

Lot´s of simmers have bought it and are using it. Some maybe are holding back, like me, others are unsure about buy or not to buy. Some are having issues but surely some are enjoying it overall.

My most important Questions:

1. Are there currently users suffering from MSFS CTD when GSX is installed and running, caused by GSX PRO?
  2. Are there users experiencing issues in combination with AIGTC (Traffic Controller)? 
  3. Are there currently still users having issues with "disappearing airports" at arrival and is there a work around for this (focus on WorkAround)?
  4. Would you recommend me to buy or not to buy atm? Indirectly I wanna know: Is there a huge chance to get it up and running without those issues above or a rather huge chance I run into the same issues mentioned above or even other major problems?

Of course I could just buy and try. But thats not my philosophy. I am trying to get a grip on my question "if it´s worth for me to buy it now?

Feedback is much appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

M.

System Specs

Edition Windows 11 Home
Version 21H2
Installed on 20220717
OS Build 22000.978
Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.978.0

Nvidia Driver Latest Stable 

i9 10900K @ 5.0 Ghz | HT OFF | 1.32V
Mainboard ASUS ROG Maximus XII Formula Z490
32 GB RAM 3600 Mhz Corsair Vengeance | 4x8GB
RTX 3090 24GB
32" Samsung UHD Monitor using 4k
Custom Water Cooling | 2x 360MM
Varjo Aero | Varjo Base
HP Reverb G2 VR HMD | Steam VR

Main MSFS Addons

Fenix A320
FBW Experimental Mode
FSCrew
FSUIPC
AIGAIM | Latest Version
AIGTC | Latest Version
+160 Addon Airports | Incl. 5 CityPacks

Edited by mpo910
  • Like 2

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

It’s buggy and an early acces. It’s a must have any way hence I used it so much in P3D. But Ctds or disappearing airports? Never had that. You will buy it anyway one time in the future so why not now. Alone the boarding and deboarding with visual pax getting in and out is worth it

• Like 1

Lukas Dalton

Buy and enjoy the ride to destination, don’t get on at the destination.

- not had any CTDs in months

- don’t use AIG, but works perfectly with the AI package I do use

- never

- buy

Edited by garlicbread11
  • Like 1

Paul

BeQuiet Pure Base 500 FX - MSI Mag Tomahawk B760 - i5 13600k @ 5.1ghz - 32GB RAM - RTX 3060 12GB  -  32f (31.5" ) Full HD Monitor - TCA Officer Pack - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke -  Logitech Multi Panel

I'll take a look at it once it can play nice with the market place airports and it integrating more seamlessly with the Fenix. I also wouldn't mind seeing the animations being worked on, the quality is not on par with what you would expect in 2022...

• Like 2

Wait ! 

Have tried to install in 4 times with no success. Some times it works but most of the times it don't. I messed some of my other programs which I need to run FS2020, so I restored my PC to before I installed GSX.

• Like 1

Regards

Claus

System : Varjo Aero,  Intel i9 14900K 5,1 Ghz OC, RTX4090 24 GB, 64 GB RAM, 2 X M2 1TB, FS2020

https://claus34.wixsite.com/737sim

https://flightsim.to/profile/chansen

I think Umberto is very busy with fixing GSX right now after its release, but maybe in a month's time or so, it would be nice if Umberto could update us when GSX will support MSFS marketplace airports. That's a huge missing feature, IMO.  Umberto mentioned that the API in SU 10 may allow GSX to interface with the MSFS marketplace airports.

I'm going to wait until GSX has full support for MSFS marketplace airports via the MSFS API before I buy it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

4 minutes ago, Kopteeni said:

I'll take a look at it once it can play nice with the market place airports

Yup, me too.  I can wait another 6 months for Umberto to get GSX working with MSFS marketplace airports via the MSFS API.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

Yup, me too.  I can wait another 6 months for Umberto to get GSX working with MSFS marketplace airports via the MSFS API.

Who said it will be "months", and even a precise number ? We have already started working on the Beta version of the new Navdata API so, obviously, it won't be "months" and surely not 6 before we can integrate it in GSX. The API is not complete as we wanted to be, data about Jetway is still missing so we'll likely have to use hacks and workarounds about this ( as usual ), but it surely won't be "month" before we can use data from encrypted airports.

Yes, it will be a major change of the software, but it should make it way more reliable, since most of the issues some users are having are all caused by the fact GSX needed to read the airports .BGL, which until SU10, it's the ONLY way to obtain data about an airport, and having to read airports comes with a lot of complications that are caused by corrupted files, windows errors, wrong files, wrong permissions on them, all sort of things that are all connected to the need to read and maintain a database of airports, which should hopefully gone with using the new Navdata API. That will an improvement, regardless of the fact the airport is encrypted or not.

In the meantime you can use the workaround of placing unencrypted version of the airport in the GSX profiles folder which might be provided by the scenery developer, like Latin VFR did:

https://www.latinvfr.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1483

CTD has been already proven multiple times don't have anything to do with GSX, it was just only an unfortunate coincidence that CTDs started the day after GSX came out, this has been confirmed multiple times by Microsoft, with the solution being completely unrelated to GSX.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, virtuali said:

Who said it will be "months", and even a precise number ? We have already started working on the Beta version of the new Navdata API so, obviously, it won't be "months" and surely not 6 before we can integrate it in GSX. The API is not complete as we wanted to be, data about Jetway is still missing so we'll likely have to use hacks and workarounds about this ( as usual ), but it surely won't be "month" before we can use data from encrypted airports.

Yes, it will be a major change of the software, but it should make it way more reliable, since most of the issues some users are having are all caused by the fact GSX needed to read the airports .BGL, which until SU10, it's the ONLY way to obtain data about an airport, and having to read airports comes with a lot of complications that are caused by corrupted files, windows errors, wrong files, wrong permissions on them, all sort of things that are all connected to the need to read and maintain a database of airports, which should hopefully gone with using the new Navdata API. That will an improvement, regardless of the fact the airport is encrypted or not.

In the meantime you can use the workaround of placing unencrypted version of the airport in the GSX profiles folder which might be provided by the scenery developer, like Latin VFR did:

https://www.latinvfr.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1483

CTD has been already proven multiple times don't have anything to do with GSX, it was just only an unfortunate coincidence that CTDs started the day after GSX came out, this has been confirmed multiple times by Microsoft, with the solution being completely unrelated to GSX.

Thanks for the update.  I'll wait for the Navdata API integration then. Please update this thread when it's complete, and GSX is working with the MSFS marketplace airports. Thanks!

40 minutes ago, virtuali said:

so we'll likely have to use hacks and workarounds about this ( as usual ),

Hi Umberto! 

Thanks also for your feedback and always informative posts. Much Appreciated!

I am searching for stability. It´s important for me, because I was used to get flying instead of used to fix issues and searching for the causes (regardless GSX cause or not).

And in my opinion, the risk of getting a unstable situation is increasing when doing work arounds and not using/able using  API´s (because different reasons of course).

I know that this is usually done and also could work very good. But the amount of posts in the FSDreamTeam Forum GSX PRO Section did influence my opinion about the status of the product. 

I have choosen my questions well because answer should give me a clearer view and hopefully I´ll get lots of positive feedback also, from users who normally would not post it as they are simply enjyoing it without to much hassle or CTD´s.

I will wait till I get more replies and then decide to take the plunge or not (for the time being).

In the meantime I hope for fixes and updates to reach your goals of less complains from customers (regarding CTD, issues etc.) and hope you are getting enough input and help (by ASOBO) to reduce the workarounds based  on better API´s.

Thanks

M.

Edited by mpo910

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

I just bought it because it's worth supporting the developer. Even if it has rough spots now it will only improve.

spacer.png5800X3D, 64GB 3200 RAM, 7900 XT 20GB

2 hours ago, mpo910 said:
  • Are there currently users suffering from MSFS CTD when GSX is installed and running, caused by GSX PRO?

No.

• Are there users experiencing issues in combination with AIGTC (Traffic Controller)? 

I haven‘t noticed anything that might be connected to AIG. It works as good (or bad) as native AI plane traffic. 

• Are there currently still users having issues with "disappearing airports" at arrival and is there a work around for this (focus on WorkAround)?

Never had this

• Would you recommend me to buy or not to buy atm? Indirectly I wanna know: Is there a huge chance to get it up and running without those issues above or a rather huge chance I run into the same issues mentioned above or even other major problems?

Apart from the Initial installation, which was a nightmare (but now seems to be resolved), I haven‘t encountered any CTDs, performance or other game-breaking issues so I‘d recommend it. There are still some weird things going on at times (esp related to pax at airports without a profile) but all in all it works and I wouldn‘t want to miss it. If I‘m not mistaken there‘s also a demo or trial version, so you don‘t have to buy it straight away.

• Like 1

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

Folks. GSX works great.  No crashes.  No hiccups.  No goofy stuff.  

Push back is awesome.  It works perfectly with the Fenix and the PMDG airplanes. The VGDS system is fantastic.  It is easily on par with the prior P3D version..

More than half of the "problems" on their forums can be answered by reading the manual. GSX is a good product that works well. 

Edited by MDFlier
  • Like 5

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

@virtuali Two questions I have regarding the method being used "excluding" addons to avoid GSX Pro Jetway replacement at additionally installed airports.

I have seen a video where a User was manually excluding (via the installer/or App UI?) his installed airport scenery, where he didn´t wanted replaced jetways by GSX Pro. Nice feature btw!

I did understand also, that GSX Pro has the ability to do this (partly) automatically (at installation?).

1) Based on what is this done by GSX Pro? 

• Reading the content.xml
  • Spawning the Community Folder
  • Other method

2) And are, at the moment, via marketplace bought and installed airports not included having the possibility to manually create  / enhance parking spots and vehicle placement configuration? 

Reason why I am asking is, that since SU10 there will be no content.xml file anymore. When installing MSFS, and running it, there will be no ocntent.xml file created. Some addons need to redo their way of installing, like navdata for instance, as navdate requires the content.xml for installment (at least up to version SU9). They are changing the way they install and release an update pararell to SU10.

I would like to use this feature from GSX Pro (doing this automatically, since I have 200+ airports installed. 

Doing this manually is possible, but not prefered.

Could you give me some info how GSX does this or what I can expect?

Thanks in advance.

M.

Edited by mpo910

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

Hi,

Regarding the process of excluding airports with custom jetways, does the program understand by itself if the airport is equipped with custom or Asobo jetways? 

Because there are some freeware airports that come with custom ones and also payware that may come with default jetways … How does GSX handle that ?

Thanks,

Pierre