Sign in to follow this  
Treetops45

SU10/ DX12 Benefits??

Could someone who is on the SU10 Beta outline the main benefits that an be expected when SU10 & DX12 are released??

T45

I'm not seeing any DX12 benefits yet. Currently getting much better performance with the DX11 in SU10 Beta but obviously haven't had a chance to test with the upcoming nvidia drivers yet.

Edited by Kopteeni
  • Like 2

DX 12 is still in a beta state. If you are on a NVIDIA GPU you most likely will require a driver update so that the memory optimizations work properly in DX 12. 

If you are on a current or RTX series Nvidia GPU you will have DLSS available for your use / AMD GPU's will not have their equivalent (FSR2.1) available .. this is estimated to be implemented for SU11

Texture Sharpening has been added and is available for all GPUS although it is AMD branded technology.

At present Nvidia cards in general have poor performance in DX 12 BECAUSE the optimizations have been turned off in lieu of the updated drivers. 

AMD Radeon GPU users are reporting very good performance with DX 12 but are also reporting missing texture tiles from airports when the sim is loading in. (Some Nvidia users are also reporting this as well now)

DX11 in the latest build in my experience is proving to be very stable / Fluid in terms of frame pacing  and up to task as long as one does not go crazy with the settings.

Weather has been improved with more cloud layers and integration with metars vs meteoblue. (This is not perfect .. work in progress) Winds and turbulence have been re introduced to some extent.

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

26 minutes ago, Maxis said:

Weather has been improved with more cloud layers and integration with metars vs meteoblue.

Some of this appears to be server related instead of SU10 beta related.  I have not installed the SU10 beta at any time, strictly on SU9, and I am already seeing an improvement in cloud layers and possibly some other attributes of MSFS.

• Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Not that this will likely materialize, but here are the theoretical benefits…

In general, DX12 can better utilize multi-core CPUs. However, MSFS is based on ancient code that is main-thread limited. It’s unlikely the move to DX12 will change this. I doubt changing the Direct X API is suddenly going to make MSFS a multi-threaded wonder. I hope I’m pleasantly surprised. We shall see. 

DLSS support on Nvidia 30 series cards is a new form of anti-aliasing that renders the frame at a lower resolution and then upscales it using deep learning to fill in the gaps. This has just as much likelihood of introducing artifacts as it does of improving performance. Artifacts can be especially noticeable in the cockpit which is largely a static image. Asobo talked about masking the cockpit for DLSS but it’s not clear if this will work, whether they’ve actually done it, or if it will end up offering much performance benefit. DLSS is really for folks that are interested in trading image quality for FPS which is a trade-off you might want in a competitive shooter, but not a flight simulator (at least in my opinion). 

Another tech that others have mentioned is AMD image sharpening. I’ve seen this in another game I play, and while it indeed provides some added sharpening with only a few FPS loss, it did create banding in the sky in the other game I have so I had to disable it. Hopefully that’s not the case here. 

4 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

It’s unlikely the move to DX12 will change this. I doubt changing the Direct X API is suddenly going to make MSFS a multi-threaded wonder. I hope I’m pleasantly surprised. We shall see. 

This is exactly what it did do in su10 beta 1 before they ran in to the nvidia issue 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

DLSS is really for folks that are interested in trading image quality for FPS which is a trade-off you might want in a competitive shooter, but not a flight simulator (at least in my opinion). 

DLSS provided a better image quality in su10 outside of the cockpit. For example it eliminated shimmering on certain objects. 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

DLSS provided a better image quality in su10 outside of the cockpit. For example it eliminated shimmering on certain objects. 

Was this in the initial SU10 beta build, and not the current one, or is it now again in the current SU10 beta?  If the latter - this could be good news for the release version.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

8 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I don’t have any shimmering artifacts in DX11… what exactly is this issue?

When you think about what DLSS is doing, which is rendering the scene at a lower resolution, and then upscaling it using some deep learning algorithm to try and predict what’s missing, there’s simply no possible way it can provide better image quality than a fully rendered scene. You could argue that the quality drop using DLSS is imperceptible, but it cannot be better. It’s really like trying to say the image quality at 1080p is better than 1440p… it’s just not. 

We will see what the verdict is on DLSS but I predict it’s not going to be a great solution for better FPS in the sim for those that care about the best image quality. 

@Virtual-Chris

Several simmers have the "shimmering" artefacts in DX11 and DX12. With DLSS activated, these artefacts disappeared, thus giving " a better image quality".

DLSS positive or not impact will greatly depend on your overall setup. If you have a 4090Ti 😉 the benefit and interest won't be the same as if you GPU is a 3060 or 2000 series + a 1440p monitor, just to give an example.

• Like 1

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio

9 hours ago, Mace said:

Was this in the initial SU10 beta build, and not the current one, or is it now again in the current SU10 beta?  If the latter - this could be good news for the release version.

Current build 

3 hours ago, Virtual-Chris said:

there’s simply no possible way it can provide better image quality than a fully rendered scene.

I must have been seeing things then, because at native 4K using a 3090, the fences and and red towers were shimmering. I enabled DLSS quality mode and the shimmering disappeared 💁‍♂️

• Like 8

DX12 with DLSS in latest SU10 Beta is very impressive - both CPU & GPU usage are balanced - & can fully utilise the VRAM of the 3090 in heavy sceneries...

with latest Nvidia driver - all Ultra & TLOD 200,

Just try Orbx Brisbane or Melbourne full packages to test...

4 hours ago, Virtual-Chris said:

I don’t have any shimmering artifacts in DX11… what exactly is this issue?

When you think about what DLSS is doing, which is rendering the scene at a lower resolution, and then upscaling it using some deep learning algorithm to try and predict what’s missing, there’s simply no possible way it can provide better image quality than a fully rendered scene. You could argue that the quality drop using DLSS is imperceptible, but it cannot be better. It’s really like trying to say the image quality at 1080p is better than 1440p… it’s just not. 

We will see what the verdict is on DLSS but I predict it’s not going to be a great solution for better FPS in the sim for those that care about the best image quality. 

In several previous DLSS implementations in various games the players find DLSS in quality mode delivering the best experience. It's not only about the static image quality but also how the tech helps keep everything sharp in motion.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kopteeni said:

In several previous DLSS implementations in various games the players find DLSS in quality mode delivering the best experience. It's not only about the static image quality but also how the tech helps keep everything sharp in motion.

I hope that’s the case here. I also hope they will have solved the masking of cockpit instruments to avoid artifacts. Are you optimistic this is the case?