Sign in to follow this  
Dreamflight767

Steps for updating

Howdy:

The pending SU10 is going to be my first update with MSFS.  I know the update will be pushed through automatically but I was wondering if there's any additional steps that need to be taken.

Coming from P3D, I know it was suggested to remove/re-build your config and shaders file/folder.

What about the community folder?  Should I empty that and put them back in after the update?  Will the update delete them?

Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks!

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

It's usually a seamless process after the initial few hours. 

No, it won't delete your community folder. Yes, it's generally considered a good idea to remove addons first, and add them back in slowly in case some addon is causing CTDs. That said, I have very few addons (10-20), and I generally just leave them be, understanding that if I get a CTD, I will come back and remove them to troubleshoot.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, FlyingGoose said:

I have very few addons (10-20), and I generally just leave them be

Why do not to use MSFS Addons Linker, and only to have in a pair of clicks the pair off addons you need in each flight?, or empty the folder in one click or reverse it in other click, a map with all your addons placed with the FS20 ones in it, in its satellital imagery map where you can activate or not or to study your next flight, good idea for many reason as you mentioned and more.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, FlyingGoose said:

Yes, it's generally considered a good idea to remove addons first

Not necessary to do this beforehand. Only if trouble arises after MSFS is updated. This is how Asobo explains it as well, but somehow there's this widespread misconception the community folder has to be emptied before an update... 

• Like 5

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

1 hour ago, peloto said:

Why do not to use MSFS Addons Linker, and only to have in a pair of clicks the pair off addons you need in each flight?, or empty the folder in one click or reverse it in other click, a map with all your addons placed with the FS20 ones in it, in its satellital imagery map where you can activate or not or to study your next flight, good idea for many reason as you mentioned and more.

Never used add on linker, never emptied Community folder, problems after update, Zero. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Thanks for the quick replies.  Look forward to what lays ahead.

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

17 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Never used add on linker,

You should. Once you do you will agree.

-B

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, btacon said:

You should. Once you do you will agree.

-B

Just something that I have no use for. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

5 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Just something that I have no use for. 

Fair nuff,

-B

50 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Never used add on linker, never emptied Community folder, problems after update, Zero. 

Only for the time that you save up in the FS20 loads with an almost empty community folder it is a gain, you save more time each flight load than a pair of ticks, plus the other benefits.

I do use Addon Linker, but didn't want to complicate my answer. Point is that most people don't have issues with addons when they update, but if you DO have an issue with a new update, the vast majority of the time it's down to an older addon. 

I recently joined the Beta because I go impatient waiting for the release.

Is there anything specific that Beta participants need to do to avoid a reinstall?

Just update, if you have problems, come to the forums and there's usually the cuplrit allready identified. 🙂

Matt Webb

11 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Same here.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700F - RAM 32 - RTX 3070 - SSD Blue 1T -  Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Track IR - Optical fiber

14 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Just to point out that for those who have many addons (I have hundreds), Addon-Linker is a terrific way to organize them and -- major advantage -- store them in a separate drive from MSFS, from where they can be used selectively. I could not imagine being without it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1