Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

HP Reverb V2 new owner connection hints?

I found this to be true tonight when setting up a new HP Reverb V2. Your millage may vary.

The newer version of the power cord breakout box has an on/off button with a status light. But that light doesn't match the state exactly. You may think the headset isn't working, and the Windows Mixed Reality portal reports '' Connect Your Headset" even though the status light on that breakout box is on, and the headset will not light up. But you tap the button on the power cord breakout box and light  will turn on (but the internal switch inside that breakout box is still off). But keep holding the button for 4 or 5 more seconds and the power will come on inside the little box (the light will just stay on like it already was). And then WMR portal will see the headset as connected (after about another 10 more seconds). 

Removing the spacer between the forehead liner and the lenses increases field of view nicely, but for my eyes the picture is ever  so slightly less sharp. Maybe that's just the way my eyes focus.

I had to rearrange the video output cords running from my desktop case to my two monitors and the headset, changing around what was plugged where. I had to keep trying (restarting the computer between trials) until Windows 'learned' what was plugged in where. Eventually they all will work and then just leave them all connected. Windows has now taught itself how to number the displays the same, each time it boots up. And this will not be an issue again until months later when you might start moving the plug connections for some reason.

The display port on the computer video card has to be Display Port  version 1.3. 1.2 will not work (at least that is what HP says).

The  power cord has three jacks: AC Mains (USA 3 prong), USB C (interface with PC), and Display port 1.3 (video out to the headset). I imagine the ones sold in Britain and so forth have a different mains plug included. There are two adapters in the box. One changes the USB C on the computer end of the wire  to USB 3.0. (HP says USB  3.0 will work, but 3.1 and 3.2 might not). The other adapter changes the display port to mini display port on the computer end of the wire.

The computer does not need bluetooth to recognize the 2 hand controllers. The headset and hand controllers have the bluetooth interface built in. (The  older V1 Reverb needed blue tooth inside the computer). 

Windows mixed reality portal in Windows 10 used to have a couple of settings in Windows Settings. They aren't there in Windows  11. The WMR portal app will popup a question telling you if want to set the headset to use WMR instead of Steam VR. You should choose WMR for MSFS. Then leave that setting there. If you want  to play Steam games, then just download and activate Steam VR app. But leave the WMR portal setting to WMR, not to Steam. You then are running both WMR and Steam VR to play the Steam games. And exit the Steam app to play Windows PC games, like MSFS. (These settings used to be in Windows Settings in Windows 10, but now they are in that popup checkbox when you first start running  WMR portal). 

The plug on the wire that connects to the headset has to be pushed in all the way. There is an almost invisible dot on that plug that  will go all the way in to the body of the headset. Otherwise the plug is not  seated deep enough to connect. Look at the plug on the wire and the socket on the headset under a strong light to see which way the plug should be oriented.

This headset gives me a much better image, better color, better frame rates, and did away with the micro stutters compared to an Oculus Quest 2 that I used in MSFS.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

In general the Reverb is harder to initially setup. But once it is setup, it connects every time to the computer and to MSFS automatically. The Quest sometimes I have to pull the USB plug from the computer a couple times and plug it back in before MSFS recognizes it. So after initial setup, the Reverb is easier to connect and use.

The main problem with Reverb 2 was the wire was not good enough to match all motherboard chips and all USB ports etc. HP had to replace the wires when people called into their help desk. Reddit was full of messages like that. But for about a year now  Reverb G2 ships with the improved wires which doesn't have the problem. They also have a switch on the powerbox so you don't have to unplug from the AC mains. And  an spacer behind the foam eyepiece to set your prefered distance to  the lens. The old and new are both called Reverb G2. Buying a used one you can wind up with either version.

I like the Quest in Xplane and Aerofly and DCS. But I never used it in MSFS (framerate too slow). Reverb is great in MSFS.

Installing G2: When it turns on the first time Windows Reality Portal open up automatically and  (slowly) downloads the software from the cloud to match whichever headset which it recognizes that you have. After that first time it's all automatic plug and play instantly. Windows key + Y changes the display between the headset and the monitor. Then you have to turn on VR in MSFS options. 

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

G2 info sheet says to scan a code for setup video, but don't give a URL. Here it is:

Just started out with the G2 V2, so with the new cable. I have an AMD machine with the infamous (as far as the Reverb is concerned) X570 chipset and I still had problems with the USB-C plugged in my motherboard directly! GPU overheat, shutdowns and bluescreens. This on a brand new stress-tested RX 6900 XT.

After plugging it into a powered hub, it seemed to work fine. I still have to tweak everything though.