Sign in to follow this  
Bad_T

Addons linker : if you have a big monitor but no bionic eyes

I can confirm that the latest replacement EXE works fine here, too.

Font scaling looks good with the DPI Aware setting (I'm using Win11's native 125% scaling on a 2560x1440 screen).

The icons are nice and crisp at 24, no scaling artifacts.

All in all, an excellent update for larger screens, thanks! 🙂

• Like 1

Icons that I can see without straining my eyes - a big thank you!  (2560x1440 - icons set to 24)

• Like 1

7800X3D  + RTX 4080 + 32GB DDR5

Thank you all for the feedback really appreciated 🍻🥂🍺, i will then try to finish those changes and publish all that with the next official version.

It will probably be shortly after SU10 because i probably need to remove the 'content.xml file editor' option. I haven't installed SU10 beta, so not sure, but i read that that file is not used (or does not exist) anymore 😱. I'll miss it, i really like that fact that i was able to disable some of the standard MS/Asobo stuff (like for example default AI traffic) or reorder some addons (in some case it really made a difference) just by altering that file. Anyway there will be probably alternative ways to do those things (if you have some knowledge about this file in SU10 i would be interested to know).

Thank you

Edited by Bad_T
  • Like 1

I also work on a 4K very large monitor. I'd rather want to keep the small font and images.

Thank you for your excellent software!

• Like 1

i9-9900K@5,0   |  32GB 3200  |  2080TI  |  4K 55"  |  MSFS | P3D V5

33 minutes ago, Bad_T said:

It will probably be shortly after SU10 because i probably need to remove the 'content.xml file editor' option. I haven't installed SU10 beta, so not sure, but i read that that file is not used (or does not exist) anymore 😱.

It's even worse. I does still exist, but with a completely modified function. SU10 has a (in the beta marked "experimental") scenery layering function. This one writes a "new" content.xml file which, however, is completely different from the old one. While the old one had a complete collection of all sceneries (plus, as far as I recall, even some stale entries of deleted sceneries), the new one only contains entries for sceneries with modified priority using this tool.

I tried this once in SU10 with giving just one scenery a higher priority and this led to such a just one-line content.xml.

I would indeed suggest removing that content.xml deletion option from the Linker (and deactivated it myself shortly after entering SU10).

If I don't misunderstand something, this seems to me a pretty bad design decision to completely modify a file's content while retaining its name.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

yep @kaha if the monitor is very big there is probably no need to increase the size (monitor size will compensate for the large resolution, it's all about 'dots per inch'). In that case just leave the options in their default states and there will be no change.

thanks @pmb for the info, just be clear it's not about the content.xml deletion (that's just an hidden feature in the INI file that most users are not even aware of), i was talking about the xml editor that is available inside Addons linker in the Tools menu (it opens a screen where you can deactivate stuff, remove old entries, or reorder addons va a graphical UI without having to mess up with the file manually). So if the structure of that file is changed with SU10, i will have to remove that option for the time being and maybe try to include an updated editor later if i can figure out the new way of working for that file and if it still makes sense.

🥂

Edited by Bad_T
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Bad_T said:

i was talking about the xml editor that is available inside Addons linker in the Tools menu (it opens a screen where you can deactivate stuff, remove old entries, or reorder addons va a graphical UI without having to mess up with the file manually). So if the structure of that file is changed with SU10, i will have to remove that option for the time being and maybe try to include an updated editor later if i can figure out the new way of working for that file and if it still makes sense.

🥂

Hi,

I never made use of that linker function, but as far as I understand it should indeed be removed as things stand.

I didn't do much research on that new scenery layering, and Asobo/MS didn't feel it necessary to provide thorough information on its working (although there has been a thread in the official forum demanding this). Did someone else try the new experimental SU10 scenery layering?

Kind regards, Michael 

• Like 1

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

For anyone having the same issues with another app, Winaero Tweaker allows you to change menu fonts, system fonts, and other fonts with a push of a few buttons to set it all up. (It makes changes in the registry according to your choices).

The only issue I have for years is that every windows update resets all the fonts :(. I have to redo them all, and it takes over 5 minutes.:(

https://winaero.com/winaero-tweaker/

• Like 2

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Hi,

It's perfect to me!

I have a 2760 x 1440 monitor. I've change app font size to 10,25 and icons/buttons to 24. It makes a very comfortable reading now.

Thank you, Bat_T!

• Like 1

Hi,

I have a very large (22/9)  3440X1440  monitor, and this option makes the things realy comfortable now.

Thank you very much !🙂🙂

• Like 1

All working and looking good here, so much better to have larger fonts, thank you 🙂

• Like 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Hi @Bad_T, and others interested. Here's a useful thread on the new Contents.xml file in SU10.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/content-xml-again-old-vs-new/543158/9

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

Thank you all for your feedback once again 🍻

For info, i have now released a new official version containing these changes 😱, if you downloaded the test version from here make sure you grab the official one as it contains a few more 'refinements'.

Hopefully all will be ok 🙈

Thank you and have a great weekend 🍻

• Like 3

I have been using the Linker for the past couple of weeks.  Its a great tool and easier to use than the Lorby tool.  Decided to try this new tool after Lorby's wiped out all my groups which I had set up, all sceneries within each group had vanished.  I like how MSFS Linker works plus the map is a fantastic feature.  

With regards to the UI I have not had any issue running at 4K on 40" monitor.  Perhaps its because I have Windows Scaling option set to 200% so all icons and text everywhere are easy to read.

Chris

• Like 1

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson