Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

XP12 CPU and GPU optimization....

One of the most noticeable features about XP12, with or without SimHeaven Europe and America activated, and over a range of graphics options, is that it put's a lot more of stress in my Ryzen 5600x and RTX 3060 Ti.

Whenever I am playing XP12, with no AI Traffic and the basic ATC, both way inferior to my experience with default ATC and AI in MFS, the fans in my CPU and GPU reach the top.

I can't really complain about performance, although I have experienced some stutters near ground just about to touch down like I never experienced in MFS in DX11 and even less in DX12, but the temperatures reached by both the GPU and CPU with the very uneven load distribution among it's 12 virtual cores suggests optimization needs attention from LR in this area.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I have noticed that my CPU reaches 90c during the loading screen of a new flight. This is crazy. My CPU is water-cooled. During the gameplay, it hovers around 70c. But during the loading screen the temps are crazy high. I am on 5900x.

• Like 1

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

14 minutes ago, Baber20 said:

I have noticed that my CPU reaches 90c during the loading screen of a new flight. This is crazy. My CPU is water-cooled. During the gameplay, it hovers around 70c. But during the loading screen the temps are crazy high. I am on 5900x.

maybe your case doesn't have a good enough airflow or it's time to re-paste your CPU.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Nope,

I believe it's XP12 that is just too HOT !!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Thanks God for the a/c in my room, with the toaster required to fly these simulators the room ambient temperature is always raising.

• Like 2

Alexander Colka

27 minutes ago, alexcolka said:

Thanks God for the a/c in my room, with the toaster required to fly these simulators the room ambient temperature is always raising.

Better option is to use it to heat the swimming pool. 🤣

AutoATC Developer

28 minutes ago, mSparks said:

Better option is to use it to heat the swimming pool. 🤣

Yea! Not a bad idea… will order one swimming pool as a cpu cooler. 😂

• Like 3

Alexander Colka

2 minutes ago, alexcolka said:

Yea! Not a bad idea… will order one swimming pool as a cpu cooler. 😂

When the other half complains "those things cost a fortune to heat"; simply reply "but we are already paying for that".

AutoATC Developer

Hello

my specs

I5 12600k  OC P-Cores to 5.2 GHz, E-Cores to 4.0 GHz,

Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4 Board

Corsair Vegeance RGB 3600 Mhz CL16

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Gaming OC 8G overclocked to 2040 MHz

AIO Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce 360

during loading screen 76°C, during gameplay about 65°C

My Youtube Channel

Hardware Intel i5 12600k, Gigabyte Z690 UD, Gigabyte Nvidia 3070TI Gaming OC, Corsair Vegeance RGB 32GB Kit CL16

file a bug report, xp12 is EA/Beta👌😊👍

optimizations will come in future updates

Edited by Beerz

Could xp12 benefit from disabling SMT in order to get free of the virtual cores, on my case with a 5600x a total of 12 ?

Main Simulation Rig:

2 hours ago, jcomm said:

Could xp12 benefit from disabling SMT in order to get free of the virtual cores, on my case with a 5600x a total of 12 ?

My experience is yes. I've never seen or heard of a benefit and there's been lots of (sometimes anecdotal) evidence that it can actually hurt. But I wouldn't expect much will change by turning it off yet. There are apparently a few "low hanging fish" to fry still:

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/272428-thanks-a-lot-for-x-plane-12-im-literally-freaking-out/#comment-2405289

• Like 1

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

so in my case the beta with SimHeaven Scenery (or without) only runs really smoothly in non-urban regions.
I have to say that I use 3x32" inch screens (5760x1080 - not to be underestimated ).
System: Core i9 10920X @4.6 Ghz water-cooled, RTX3090, 64GB RAM, all SSD - not a really slow system.
I can theoretically set all sliders to high - except for render distance - this is really the only "painful" slider in the settings (was also the case with XP11) - everything else has rather less effect on the FPS.
But I have to say that the load doesn't really change - whether low, medium or high, ultra - the CPU/GPU ratio remains almost the same. 
HT is off - 12 cores run (except for one) at approx. 15-30 % utilisation and the GPU is approx. at MAX 67 - 70 %, TEMPS are ok - so not yet fully optimised (but it's also a BETA, no question).
As I said basically good - but here are no airports addons installed, default aircraft, no AI traffic - theoretically SimHeavens scenery and nothing else (as I said, with the default scenery it behaves almost the same).
I would be grateful for an optimisation - but there is still enough time.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D , watercooled, GeForce RTX 4090, RAM 64GB Kingston Fury 6000Mhz , Fractal Design 7 XL, MSI X670 Carbon, all SSD

Turned SMT Off in the BIOS.

Had to re-activate the FF A320 U 😕

So far I didn't notice lower Temps in the CPU / GPU - still CPU around the 60s, GPU around the 70+ s which I don't like to see 😕  Fans run like mad.

Main Simulation Rig:

2 hours ago, AUA425 said:

I can theoretically set all sliders to high - except for render distance - this is really the only "painful" slider in the settings

I was working through understanding the settings today.

The impression i'm left with is many of the sliders are more of a "it works until it doesnt" nature (similar to vram) rather than an even relationship between quality and fps. when you start getting close to the limits of the gpu the fall off in fps is quick.

Which I rationalise as you have a gpu compute "budget", as long as you are inside that budget, stuff runs as it should, but as soon as you exceed it, stuff needs to get queued up and takes much longer to finish.

e.g. render distance - turn down world objects and render distance can quite happily be increased.

That said, I was mostly concentrating on keeping greater than 60fps in VR, which due to the lower resolution than you are using render distance is much less noticeable (so lower render distance and higher world objects looks better in VR compared to 2D).

Also, dont forget the clouds, if you are testing in clear weather the clouds arent using any gpu budget, which will cause a hit when you start to fly in weather if you are right on the limit without weather.

All that said, in 2D, with everything maxed except AA (which I might see if I can raise for VR), Im not seeing less than 45fps at 2k in all the conditions I tested (rtx3070) 

I also dont want to spend to much time fiddling with settings atm, because I expect their behaviour will all change in the nearish future.

EDIT: also, _don't_ forget to restart XP _any_ time you make a settings change before drawing conclusions, it looks like a lot of settings are not fully applying yet until you fully restart.

Edited by mSparks
  • Upvote 2

AutoATC Developer