Sign in to follow this  
Murmur

XP12: visuals to serve realism (and vice versa)

@Murmur

This is an excellent post and discussion. You point out what I think is indeed a development perspective for Xplane. They didn’t simply upgrade the visuals but tied it to the underlying flight model and intent of the sim. Xplane 12 really is a leap ahead for the franchise (please note I’m comparing between versions of the same franchise, not any other franchise.)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

Has anybody already played with icing in clouds and flying through thunderstorms?

I remember Austin saying that weather now actually poses an inherent danger in the air.

On a flight over the Alps in the King Air yesterday, the ride got really bumpy due to all the up- and downdrafts. This was pretty cool.

• Upvote 2

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

5 minutes ago, Bjoern said:

Has anybody already played with icing in clouds and flying through thunderstorms?

I remember Austin saying that weather now actually poses an inherent danger in the air.

On a flight over the Alps in the King Air yesterday, the ride got really bumpy due to all the up- and downdrafts. This was pretty cool.

There was a video of exactly this and it was great to see!  Enough ice build up actually brought the aircraft down.  

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

1 hour ago, Bjoern said:

Didnt encounter any thunderstorms yet but I was practicing patterns at KSFO(btw I suck at flying the lancair evolution) an hour back and ran into quite a bit of turbulence and rain. I also got hit by a couple of updrafts and downdrafts. The whole experience was so engaging and I was in awe at the weather effects and lighting the whole time.

X-Plane-Screenshot-2022-09-18-09-40-33-3

X-Plane-Screenshot-2022-09-18-09-42-26-6

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

15 hours ago, Murmur said:

The new physical based photometric engine has also been designed to be FAA /Level-D compliant in terms of modeling the atmospheric and runway lights visibility;

15 hours ago, Murmur said:

A330-2022-09-18-03-42-37.png

Is this the FAA runway lights visibility "compliance" in action?
@Murmur PAPI is way too weak (it is dimmable IRL by tower controller, just as all the lights on the runway).
Also edge and TDZ-lights are not convincing.  They really should stand out more. Looks like they are at VFR day intensity setting (3%).

XP11 had marvelous airport lighting, the image above looks inferior.

For reference, this is low intensity lights at work during one of my night flights (vfr night default at our aerodrome when twr is closed)

50T2Aso.png

Edited by SAS443

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

And where are the twy lights?

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

Known Bugs

• Incomplete or missing features in Alpha/Early Access:
    • Master-external visual networking
    • New XPLM APIs
    • Airbus A330 FMC
  • In progress features:
    • Tuning lighting & fog
    • LIT textures
    • Performance
    • VR holodeck lighting
    • Far trees don’t look great
    • Better cloud shapes, especially cirrus
    • Performance tuning
  • XPD-11214 Plane Maker CG/Lights/Tanks Position Markers Not Visible.
  • XPD-12826 Joystick axis mapping symbols are missing.
  • XPD-12879 Wake turbulence broken for 3rd party integrations.

https://www.x-plane.com/kb/x-plane-12-00-release-notes/

• Upvote 2

AutoATC Developer

Then I am even more confused why Murmur is posting shots of a "faulty" environment to re-affirm the argument that runway lights/visibility are FAA compliance? 

You would barely be allowed to land a trike with lights like in his image. (I've seen vfr grass strips with better lights).

Looking forward to RTM version. It can only get better 🙂

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

10 hours ago, Reader said:

Probably the only effective way to prevent bickering, trolling and pointless posts is to lock the topic at this point.💤

NO, you don't lock topics, you lock out the instigators!!!! 

• Upvote 1

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

57 minutes ago, SAS443 said:

Is this the FAA runway lights visibility "compliance" in action?
@Murmur PAPI is way too weak (it is dimmable IRL by tower controller, just as all the lights on the runway).
Also edge and TDZ-lights are not convincing.  They really should stand out more. Looks like they are at VFR day intensity setting (3%).

XP11 had marvelous airport lighting, the image above looks inferior.

For reference, this is low intensity lights at work during one of my night flights (vfr night default at our aerodrome when twr is closed)

50T2Aso.png

This should be a similar situation in your photo with high visibility:

Cessna-Citation-X-2022-09-18-20-20-05.pn

Apparently, in low visibility (I think I set 2 miles in the following pics) the runway light visibility during dusk appears to be less than during night with the same conditions. Don't know if it's a bug or what (or if for some strange reason it would be the same in RL, I don't know), but if you have a case, you could report it to LR.

Cessna-Citation-X-2022-09-18-20-21-09.pn

Cessna-Citation-X-2022-09-18-20-22-31.pn

EDIT: looks like the links were not working well, I put the direct links to images but unfortunately this reduces their resolution.

Edited by Murmur

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

One hour local flight with live weather.I have never met more beautiful live weather on a simulator.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

CORSAIR 4000 AIRFLOW (WHITE) / RYZEN 5800X3D / ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS / ARTIC LIQUID FREEZERII 240 / 32 GO DDR4 3200 KINGSTON FURY / MSI RTX4090 VENTUS 3X 24G OC / KINGSTON NV1 NVME 2 TO / BE QUIET PURE POWER 11FM  1000W 80PLUS GOLD / SAMSUNG NEO QLED 43" 4K.

9 hours ago, Murmur said:

The general observation is that visual improvements in XP tend to be thought of not in isolation, but coupled with improvements in operational realism.

Exactly !!!  Excellent insight there. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, filou said:

One hour local flight with live weather.I have never met more beautiful live weather on a simulator.

@filou I've been lurking in the screen shot forum and have to say your shots are incredible...   If anyone here hasn't already they should head to the screenshot forum and check them out...

• Upvote 2

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

27 minutes ago, psolk said:

@filou I've been lurking in the screen shot forum and have to say your shots are incredible...   If anyone here hasn't already they should head to the screenshot forum and check them out...

He convinced me to DL XP12 from Steam , Laminier needs to put him on commission . 

Edited by johnbow72
  • Like 1